Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

karma_ wrote: »
    Stalingrad in BF1942 was the greatest battlefield map of all time. FACT!

See your Stalingrad and raise you Hue and Landing Zone Albany!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

el alamein guys, el alamein.

So this is where proper ex PC BF players hang out, beginning to think I was the only one in the general games area where many seemed to look at this as BC3.

As for 64 player maps, I generally agree that in bf2 it was harder to get a decent battle there compared to 32. The more average skilled players had a better time in 64 sometimes due to how chaotic it was, but if you were more into advanced tactics , flanking squad play and so on 32 offered a more concise pace.

This was all due to map design though, 64 was a lot better in 42, in fact I think they messed up a lot with the map design in BF2, making far too many flags and so on.

They got it right for karkand, thats why it worked so well but the vehicle maps were a lot weaker than 42.

For vehicle maps they need more open areas , and less flags imo.

BF3 is probably gonna be completely different though , I am glad to see wake and karkand there. I loved gulf of oman during the BF2 demo but it became a weak map after the full release unfortunately.

That 'game play' trailer , while it looks good , reeeeally doesn't look like actual game play, maybe its single player COD cutscene style game play, I dunno.

Just reminds me of the 'killzone 2 gameplay trailer' they had out way before the ps3 was out to get people hyped about what the ps3 could do.

Was fake as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sometimes im convinced your 13.

Sometime I think you have an IQ of 13

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Sometime I think you have an IQ of 13

fail:D

LMAO....I wont edit the post coz then you look stupid......:p

• Advertisement

I love the look of the footage so far.

It's exactly the kind of environment I want for online(Urban)

My fav' map in BC2 would be Panama Canal by a mile, if someone wants to camp they will only be able to cover a tiny bit of the map.

Hopefully they concentrate more on online, I've played enough of the FPS over the years that I actually don't care about clearing the single player any more(still haven't finished BC2 or Black Ops-which i resold :D).

I'd rather no campaign and an extra 2/3 maps. There just doesn't be enough of a story to immerse me, it's just running through the multi maps killing AI instead really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

We should get better answers tomorrow. The GDC reveal is today for journalists, but they're embargoed until tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Found on the EA forums:

http://research.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/publications/I3D11.pdf

check figure 9, it's from the Frostbite 2.0 engine, and looks like BF3.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

I hope they don't (but I know they will) expect people to pay for every map update. The patching in BF2 was hilariously funny, even EA must have seen the funny side of treating their customers as an extended Beta programme.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yeah looks excellent. Just like the last preview video.

DICE have overtaken Crytek when it comes to the best graphics - ever since BC2.

Crysis 2 doesn't even come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I hadn't even thought about that but I agree ^

Trailer looks fantastic. I think i might treat myself to an unnecessary gfx upgrade when BF3 is released.

Krieg wrote: »
    I hadn't even thought about that but I agree ^

Trailer looks fantastic. I think i might treat myself to an unnecessary gfx upgrade when BF3 is released.

If you notice, the trailer states its real in game footage from a pre-alpha build. So we can expect it to look like that, but possibly run quite well.

I'm expecting similar performance to BC2, but they may well have optimised the engine to take advantage of DX10/11 optimisations for better performance while looking fantastic.

In 1080p courtesy of Ars Technica.

Anyone else think it looks very very similar to the original GHOST REACON on the 1st XBOX.....dont get me wrong I think its gonna be amazing.....lets hope the only 2 things that wreck this game (No dedicated servers and bad maps) are not present. One thing I did notice was the sound of the M16 was very bad....quite tinny...not at all like it sound be but thats just nit picking at the moment. Also lets hope that the AA actually works ingame now...unlike the previous games.

I really am looking forward to this now with the new footage popping up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

^^ started playing and I was bit wary as it looks just like Medal of Honor...(crap game) but then hurrah...the guns have recoil so that's good.
    I'm dying to see actual multiplayer footage and can't wait for the beta..wanna check out those jets and see how they handle etc :D

ah crap....apparently beta is not out till October...which means no way on hell will BF3 be out before xmas.

http://chillopedia.com/gaming/battlefield-3-beta-release-date-announced/

Dont you just hate when they start hyping a game 10 mths before the actual release......FFS!

My new sandy bridge rig will be old news by then, better hold off on my 6990 in case it wont handle it......;)

IGN have mentioned, and Dice have confirmed, that's fire selection is implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Spear wrote: »
    IGN have mentioned, and Dice have confirmed, that's fire selection is implemented.

Thats something sorely missing from most fps games these days. Only the Rainbow Six games seemed to feature it and the first Ghost Recon games before they went all GRAW.

Hopefully the console versions will has the feature too.

Anyone else think it looks very very similar to the original GHOST REACON on the 1st XBOX

Not even close graphiclly, the first Ghost Recon did not even have a weapon model in your hands on the PC or Xbox, just a yellow crosshair.

If anything it's like the PC version of GRAW with far better graphics, animation and sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Anyone else think it looks very very similar to the original GHOST REACON on the 1st XBOX....!

was thinking the one that came out on the 360 myself.

The only thing it has in common with Ghost Recon is, you're a soldier, and you have a gun.

Oh, you're somewhere on earth too.

The only thing it has in common with Ghost Recon is, you're a soldier, and you have a gun.

Oh, you're somewhere on earth too.

And that they are set in 2013/2014, well GRAW was at least.

Anyways enough of Tom Clancy's hacked fantasy and back to what DICE do best, Mirror's Edge, oh I mean Battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Pish GRAW hasnt a sniff on Battlefield

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Fire selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Fire selection?

is that like single, burst, automatic fire?

That would be awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Korvanica wrote: »

I should hope so

All I want to see is

no regenerating health this is the most important thing of all for me

a selectable knife (not the crappy matrix knife that is in BC2),

proper commander mode

only spawn on squad leaders

no perks (leave that to COD kiddies)

Commo Rose

if BF3 includes all this I will be very happy

Korvanica wrote: »
    Fire selection?

That would be awesome

Yes. In the example of the video shown, they have single, burst and full auto.

Sorry should have clarified...I meant the level design not the actual animations and guns etc. That level in the demo reminds me or that game so much....still onwards and upwards.

Dont all BF series games have fire selection?

Tap the mouse button rapit' for semi auto...and hold it down for full bleedin auto....pay n spray styleeeee, y'know what I mean like!!!!

Works for me.....

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yes. In the example of the video shown, they have single, burst and full auto.

Did Battlefield 2 already have this?
    I know I played one game where the M16 had single shot and triple-shot fire...ah wait...that was FarCry :D
    Was awesome in that though...who needed a sniper rifle when your M16 on single shot was just as good :D

Advertisement