Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 to be revealed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,198 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah I was locking on and firing off stingers and they were getting diverted by flares the whole time.

yap id be sitting in the Tunguska (adore that vehicle) and id be firing anti air missiles the whole time and its a ****ing waste tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

jonny666 wrote: »
    Does that mean you still have to stick your head out while waitin for ur launcher to lock on even with the soflam?

no I dont think so cause you wont need line of sight. you just need to centre up the diamond display and be within range.

at least its like that with the tank. check on battlelog if it states the same in the stats.

this also applies to

-guided missiles on helicopter gunner seats and in scout helicopters and on the jets

but I havnt unlocked the javelin yet (mostly play assault) so I cant confirm if it works the same.

btw I think flares are not effective when you have a soflam lock. I've shot helicopters down that have flared out with a guided shell a few times now.

Also there are other weapons that work like soflam available later on. Such as the laser designator on helicopters and the CITV station on tanks.

you need the ecm jammer to block them (and the soflam) when flying.

Oh and the tungeska is really powerful as it reloads its AA missiles quicker then one can reload flares so unless you get out of sight of it you are pretty screwed. Hence why on maps like Kharg and firestorm you tend to find the AA has rolled up to the side of the mountain and has locked off half of the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Operation Metro is one of the most poorly designed conquest maps I have ever seen. The Russian side has a huge tactical advantage to capture and hold flag B, it completely ridiculous. Trying to attack up those stairs as US against good opposition is a near impossible task, they have every advantage, height, space cover. US haven't a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

sink wrote: »
    Operation Metro is one of the most poorly designed conquest maps I have ever seen. The Russian side has a huge tactical advantage to capture and hold flag B, it completely ridiculous. Trying to attack up those stairs as US against good opposition is a near impossible task, they have every advantage, height, space cover. US haven't a hope.

:eek: That's one of the best maps in the game. Attacking up the stairs is much easier that holding B when they get up there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    no I dont think so cause you wont need line of sight. you just need to centre up the diamond display and be within range.

at least its like that with the tank. check on battlelog if it states the same in the stats.

this also applies to

-guided missiles on helicopter gunner seats and in scout helicopters and on the jets

but I havnt unlocked the javelin yet (mostly play assault) so I cant confirm if it works the same.

btw I think flares are not effective when you have a soflam lock. I've shot helicopters down that have flared out with a guided shell a few times now.

Also there are other weapons that work like soflam available later on. Such as the laser designator on helicopters and the CITV station on tanks.

you need the ecm jammer to block them (and the soflam) when flying.

Oh and the tungeska is really powerful as it reloads its AA missiles quicker then one can reload flares so unless you get out of sight of it you are pretty screwed. Hence why on maps like Kharg and firestorm you tend to find the AA has rolled up to the side of the mountain and has locked off half of the map.

cool! Goin on soon enough so will report back

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »

its kind of like seine crossing on rush. Its one of the those maps where if you dont know wtf you are doing in the first 20 seconds you lose the game.

With Seine if you let them dig in on bombsite B at the beginning you are most likely going to lose and its the same with metro on conquest.

if you are not swapping out your spec for sprint or have squad sprint on and making a beeline for B from the get go (forget C he who dies first can go and get C)then chances are you are going to lose badly.

Had games on it that were god awful and had games on it where people knew what to do and were intense close call games that were a lot of fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Christ i suck at this. Managed to play for about 10 minutes before it crashed again. 0/7 kd. Maybe it's good that i can't play on my current pc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Totally gutted with the tow, its sh1te, swapped back almost instantly. On the good side the i-r sight is/awesome, unlocked it last night and went nuts with it, going to come in real handy where there's bushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

****ing tactical lights really are a pain in the arse.Everyone has them on all the time.

M320 needs to be weakened too,met a few lads tonight just spamming it and not doing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

cambo2008 wrote: »
    ****ing tactical lights really are a pain in the arse.Everyone has them on all the time.

M320 needs to be weakened too,met a few lads tonight just spamming it and not doing anything else.

they are great when used effectively.... most people dont realise you can turn them off.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

hypermuse wrote: »
    they are great when used effectively.... most people dont realise you can turn them off.. :rolleyes:
    That's half the problem,I would prefer they were never in the game tbh.
    Gimmicky and annoying is all I see them as,I refuse to even try them out.

:(

I was having a stonker on this 24/7 Kharg Island map with eirelegend capped with a pretty awesome retaking of point C when my computer crashed :(

*cries*

I normally dont play recon but I am warming up to him very quickly

EDIT: actually turns out the server crashed :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Use the sks and the recon can be pretty deadly I've found. Its not for sitting back sniping but more quickly capping points and spotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just spent the entire round playing in the jets with my X52 Pro trying to get the 300 points for the heat seekers and FAILED big time :rolleyes: Have to say the plane handle well but its very hard to make out anything in the air as its all the same colours. And asking peeps on the ground to spot you might as well be asking for AMMO!!!! :mad:

The choppers handle REALLY TERRIBLE all choppers should handle like the little bird scout heli's really sweet and agile.

Might stay clear of the jets.....dont have the patience.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just spent the entire round playing in the jets with my X52 Pro trying to get the 300 points for the heat seekers and FAILED big time :rolleyes: Have to say the plane handle well but its very hard to make out anything in the air as its all the same colours. And asking peeps on the ground to spot you might as well be asking for AMMO!!!! :mad:

The choppers handle REALLY TERRIBLE all choppers should handle like the little bird scout heli's really sweet and agile.

Search battlelog for flight servers or flight school, sometimes full of assholes who want easy points, but other times good spot to practice...I got my heatseekers and flares this way to get started :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Yeah I had a couple of tries at the jets the other night and, while I got the hang of maneuvering them, I didn't manage to hit anything. Are they any use for attacking ground targets or only for air battles? Had someone who was fairly decent following me and eventually crashed after a panicky move!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think once you get laser guided weapons and rocket pods you should be pretty effective against ground targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Me and max played with that Guided tank shell. things we learned:

Cant hit planes :( (had to take him down with the normal tank shell :D )
    Every other tank is fecked if 2 people use this in coordination much like Laser Des in Arma 2. The SOLFAM is lethal in BF3 fairly unstoppable too.
    Choppers are also fecked, it moves quick enough that flares dont affect it.

now we have to get Jigsaw and ANother and try out the SOLFLAM javelin and tank combo.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Me and max played with that Guided tank shell. things we learned:

Cant hit planes :( (had to take him down with the normal tank shell :D )
    Every other tank is fecked if 2 people use this in coordination much like Laser Des in Arma 2. The SOLFAM is lethal in BF3 fairly unstoppable too.
    Choppers are also fecked, it moves quick enough that flares dont affect it.

now we have to get Jigsaw and ANother and try out the SOLFLAM javelin and tank combo.

So one of you was marking targets and the other was firing guided shells, is it?

So one of you was marking targets and the other was firing guided shells, is it?

Max targeting other firing, its great fun.

• Advertisement

Max targeting other firing, its great fun.

By targeting, do you mean using a SOFLAM or something?

By targeting, do you mean using a SOFLAM or something?

Max spots with the SOLFAM me and jigsaw then lock on and fire, we decimated 1PARA server the 3 of us working together. It really pissed them off at one point at least 12 guys came looking for us. I had tank jigsaw javelin and max recon, i had ammo box for jigsaw.

They couldnt get a tank or chopper past C, but it only really works on that map and you need to defend your spot. It really pissed off the other team :D

So I'm in a chopper,flying along and I suddenly blow up for no reason.
    "you have committed suicide"
    Wtf,this has happened a few times,is there something I'm not aware of about flying choppers.

Wtf,this has happened a few times,is there something I'm not aware of about flying choppers.

Someone has hit you and chopper died with you in it.

Someone has hit you and chopper died with you in it.
    Why suicide then???

Why suicide then???

Cos you didnt get out, it exploded with no previous hits detected.

You will see it from other side when you rape a chopper with AA and get no points for it, had about 10 of them tonight :( possibly you :D

Why suicide then???

Cos you didnt get out, it exploded with no previous hits detected.

You will see it from other side when you rape a chopper with AA and get no points for it, had about 10 of them tonight :( possibly you :D
    Ah right.They could do with increasing the noise or movement when being hit,I didn't notice or hear a thing,just exploded out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

5uspect wrote: »
    I think once you get laser guided weapons and rocket pods you should be pretty effective against ground targets.

Rocket pods aren't that great, they seldom actually go to your crosshair and replace heat seakers. I haven't got the guided bombs, but since you fly in a straight line when locking on, you're a easy target to pretty much everything with a .50 cal or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Yeah I was locking on and firing off stingers and they were getting diverted by flares the whole time.
    You need to lock on, wait until they panic and fire flares then quickly lock again to nail them!
    Makes me laugh everytime :D

• Advertisement

You need to lock on, wait until they panic and fire flares then quickly lock again to nail them!
    Makes me laugh everytime :D

Good pilots wont fire the flares until the missile is in the air, then you need to 2 engineers firing at the same time.

Advertisement