Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Federal Power-Shok .223 64GR

Options
  • 11-01-2011 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I purchased some of the above and was wondering if anyone has used them and what kind of results they produced?

Will be using them in a T3 tac. Have only zeroed using them at 100 yards, I was wondering how they performed in the field?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

where ya get them and how much a box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I think they are federal's answer to provide a better bullet in 223 for american whitetail.

They'd be good on roe deer/or munties (in scotland!!)

A mate found them good hitters in his t3

edit:- not advocating illegal use of 223 on deer in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

endasmail wrote: »
    where ya get them and how much a box?

Worked out at about €30 a box. They were bought in Clare a while back but I never got around to using them as I haven't been shooting much. Something I plan to rectify over the coming weeks.
    Jonty wrote: »
    I think they are federal's answer to provide a better bullet in 223 for american whitetail.

They'd be good on roe deer/or munties (in scotland!!)

A mate found them good hitters in his t3

edit:- not advocating illegal use of 223 on deer in this country.

Thanks Jonty,

Was interested to know what they were like and if they are good in a T3, thats good enough for me :) Will be using them for vermin and have almost 4 boxes to try out so am keen to see how they compare in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

30euro:eek:. cost me 16eur in norman harpurs in maguiresbridge fermanagh;) havent got round to test them yet. waz told they are a good hard hitting round. time will tell

Xplor.er wrote: »
    30euro:eek:. cost me 16eur in norman harpurs in maguiresbridge fermanagh;) havent got round to test them yet. waz told they are a good hard hitting round. time will tell

Well I was screwed then! :)

Will have to give Norman Harpurs a call as thats a massive difference!

• Advertisement

he is a sound man to deal with.
    has to be da cheapest gunshop in da contry.
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

i tried them in my tikka supervarmint 1:8 twist, and they wouldn't even group 1" at 100yards off the bench, i wouldn't like to try them foxing.
    but then that could just be my rifle, your results could be different

i use a remington 700sps wit 1:8 twist. will post my results when i get time to test them. just thought that 16eur it is worth a try:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

declan1980 wrote: »
    i tried them in my tikka supervarmint 1:8 twist, and they wouldn't even group 1" at 100yards off the bench, i wouldn't like to try them foxing.

I have a tikka varmint and same thing, least accurate round I have ever tried in the rifle.

declan1980 wrote: »

Thanks Declan, seems like I have 4 boxes of expensive crap on my hands then :(
    i use a remington 700sps wit 1:8 twist. will post my results when i get time to test them. just thought that 16eur it is worth a tryconfused.gif

Will be interested to see how you get on, least you paid half the price I did so if they are a waste, you wont lose as much.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    I have a tikka varmint and same thing, least accurate round I have ever tried in the rifle.

Thanks Vegeta, since I have pretty much the same rifle as yourself and Declan, I may as well put them down to a bad purchase and dispose of them. :( expensive learning as I wouldn't be happy to use them on foxes if they are that inaccurate.

• Advertisement

Shoot a box for the craic. Like I said, they're fine in my mate's t3.

Brinhg the other 3 boxes back and get them changed if you're not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

By all means try them out and as Jonty says if you don't like them ring the RFD and tell him they are useless in your rifle and ask can you exchange them for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

Tikat3 ill give you 16 eoru per box if you dont want them. :D:D
    i reckon they would be a good round for goats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

If your dealer is any good he wil take them back and exchange them for a different type or ammo.

hey all
    just got round to testing mine. the best i could get was between 1.5inch and 2inch groups at 100yds.
    but the remington 700 light hunting barrels arent known for pin point accuracy anyway.
    i can get 1inch groups at 100yds wit remington accu tip 50gns so the federal isnt a great round.

hey all
    just got round to testing mine. the best i could get was between 1.5inch and 2inch groups at 100yds.
    but the remington 700 light hunting barrels arent known for pin point accuracy anyway.
    i can get 1inch groups at 100yds wit remington accu tip 50gns so the federal isnt a great round.

How much for accutips?

What twist rate is on a stock 700 barrel? I don't think its enough to stabilize 64gr.

Just because it doesn't suit your rifle doesn't mean its a bad round.

Accutips don't shoot well in my t3 tactical. Does that make them bad?

You'd imagine for the price of accutips, you'd be getting one hole groups:D

accutips are €26. expensive but i find them good.
    the twist rate is 1:8. not saying federal was a bad round i just wont be shooting dem through my remmy again.
    the only way to find what rounds your guns like is to experiment

Cheers all,

I think I will try a few and see how I get on.

Checked online and seen them for sale at €29.99 in .243 so I don't feel too bad :D
    Tikat3 ill give you 16 eoru per box if you dont want them. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
    i reckon they would be a good round for goats

If they dont work out for me, I might give you a shout ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I tried them also and they didn't group past 50yds and had to totally reset zero.

accutips are €26. expensive but i find them good.
    the twist rate is 1:8. not saying federal was a bad round i just wont be shooting dem through my remmy again.
    the only way to find what rounds your guns like is to experiment

Thats a good price for accutips.

I thought a remmy barrel had a softer twist 1-12? Is your barrel stock?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Jonty wrote: »
    Thats a good price for accutips.

I thought a remmy barrel had a softer twist 1-12? Is your barrel stock?

1/12 on most, 1/9 on vtr .223

Gets me back to the barrel length twist rate question again

Advertisement