Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get a RH dust shield for a freehub?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Shimano CS-HG40-8 11-32T freehub. I was taking off the lockring preparatory to cleaning and regreasing the wheel hub, when the right-hand dust shield somehow went aslant in the mouth of the freehub. I got it out eventually, but it got badly deformed in the process.

Does anyone know anywhere that sells Shimano freehub dust shields individually?

I googled around a bit, and I see that MorningStar do a more robust dust shield, but I can't find an Irish or British retailer that stocks it.
    http://www.morningstartools.com/freehub_buddy_dust.html

Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

that serial/model number you gave is for the cassette, the hub model should be listed under the shimano logo on the hub body in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

that serial/model number you gave is for the cassette, the hub model should be listed under the shimano logo on the hub body in the centre
    Thanks, yeah, I realised that after I posted. Googling that model and make only turned up cassettes only.

I beat the dust shield back into approximately the right shape and reassembled the bike, just to get the parts out of the way, so I can't check the hub make right now. I don't intend to ride the bike the way it is now.

I might look into this Morningstar product. It seems to fit any Shimano 8 or 9 speed.

I think this might be the freehub body. The spec.s for the bike say the rear hub is FH-RM60.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-shimano-8-9-speed-cassette-freewheel-body-for-rm60-3cf-9804-prod18391/

Yeah, that was the freehub I needed. Just put it on tonight.

I ordered the Morningstar dust shield so I can make the old freehub into a spare. Morningstar sent it to me for $7, which was a lot cheaper than a new freehub. It would have been more economical to simply wait for that, but I didn't have time.

Incidentally, has anyone tried the Morningstar freehub relubing tool? It's the reason that they make the replaceable dust shield. Look like a very neat way to prolong the life of a freehub.

Demonstrated about three minutes into this clip:
    http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Overhaul-a-Shimano-Hub-and-Free-hub-66770627

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Just leave it out, I dont have them on any of my bikes, feckin pain in the arse.

You mean, leave the dust shield off altogether? Does that mean when you get a new freehub you take the dust shield off before installing it?

Sorry if I'm being obtuse!

Advertisement