Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 128-Shogun V Jones

• 11-01-2011 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Would anyone have a ufc fight club presale password for this event. Tickets go on sale tomorrow should be a cracker of a card.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Use the newsletter one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Just looking at the betting there since Jones is replacing Rashad.

I'm pretty shocked at how big of a favourite Jones is, I don't even think he should be favourite.

Jones 4/9
    Shogun 13/8

I've just filled my boots @ 13/8. Crazy price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Fromvert wrote: »

I'm pretty shocked at how big of a favourite Jones is, I don't even think he should be favourite.

Jones 4/9
    Shogun 13/8

Where did you get those odds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Jones 4/9
    Shogun 13/8

That is serious value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That is value but I still think Jones might beat him, he's a monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is absolute madness!

God bless the oddsmakers for probably never having heard of Pride in their lives.

Jones is a beast, but this is f*cking shogun we're talking about. i'll be gladly taking all of your money Mr.Power!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This is absolute madness!

God bless the oddsmakers for probably never having heard of Pride in their lives.

Jones is a beast, but this is f*cking shogun we're talking about. i'll be gladly taking all of your money Mr.Power!

I always said i would bet on a UFC fight but i never did, but at those odds id be a fool not to. Getting goosepumps watching that Shogun montage, the guys a ****ing beserker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Jones 4/9
    Shogun 13/8

I am confused by these odds, if you bet 30 on Shogun, and 100 on Jones, you will make at least 14 no matter the outcome. (unless I got my math wrong)

dunkamania wrote: »
    I am confused by these odds, if you bet 30 on Shogun, and 100 on Jones, you will make at least 14 no matter the outcome. (unless I got my math wrong)

nah, if Shogun wins you've spent €130, you win back €45.50 plus your stake so €75.50........... if i'm calculating this right?

• Advertisement

You got your math wrong.

Shogun wins you've lost approx 51.25.
    Jones wins you make approx 14.44 profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Damnit, knew it couldnt be right :o

Damnit, knew it couldnt be right :o

If it was I wouldnt be telling you, the odds would have changed massively because some anonymous punter bet approx €130,000 on the fight! :P

Possibly the best trailer i've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Great video, UFC needs to give NickTheFace a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

From what ive seen, u need to stay in jones face, too many guys hangin back and waitin to see what he'l do, and that hasnt been workin, hopefully shogun will have the plan, deffo worth a bet!!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Possibly the best trailer i've ever seen.

+1. I haven't seen any better personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Seriously good odds for Shogun. I'll be all over that.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Seriously good odds for Shogun. I'll be all over that.

He exposed Machida's style, so there is no reason why he wouldn't be able to do the same to Jones's. Jone's style isn't as un-orthodox as Machida's aswell.

Also is there anyway of changing the thread title to: UFC 128 - Shogun V Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

unknown13 wrote: »
    He exposed Machida's style, so there is no reason why he wouldn't be able to do the same to Jones's. Jone's style isn't as un-orthodox as Machida's aswell.

Also is there anyway of changing the thread title to: UFC 128 - Shogun V Jones

I'd love Shogun to win but I can't see.

Jones is man handling exceptional wrestlers and Shogun has struggled against guys adopting that style in the past. I see Shogun getting taken down and pummelled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rossgorry

AND THE NEW LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, JON"BONES" JONES !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Shogun better be able to kick the skinny legs off Jones!

Have this thing in the back of my head that just knows Jones is going to KO/Submit Shogun. I don't know why... I've watched nearly all of Shogun's matches and nobody can doubt his experience but I think Jones will outstrike him :/ I have no logic to back it up other than the fact I've bet against him in his Bader, Vera and Bonnar fights, I can't bet against him again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

My main gripe in backing Jones ( and i think he is a very very talented fighter ) is that he hasn't decimated a true striker. His wrestling has beaten other very good wrestlers. However he hasn't come up against someone as good as Shogun standing up. This fight will be dictated by how good Shoguns TDD and BJJ from his back are. I wouldn't even say he would want to try and see how good his BJJ from his back is , as Jones as some lethal elbows from the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Shogun is 1 of the most lethal fighters in the LHW divison off his back. Hes swept some of the best wrestlers in MMA and I wouldnt see it going any different in this case

*Ignore the shogun love as evident by my sig.Its still true >_>*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Shogun is 1 of the most lethal fighters in the LHW divison off his back. Hes swept some of the best wrestlers in MMA and I wouldnt see it going any different in this case

*Ignore the shogun love as evident by my sig.Its still true >_>*

Allow me to play devils advocate here as a Shogun fan, before a Jones fan says it to you.

Has he done it in an Octagon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

shogun is going to kill jon jones. i think. i hope, possibly. maybe. war

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Allow me to play devils advocate here as a Shogun fan, before a Jones fan says it to you.

Has he done it in an Octagon ?

Swept Machida twice whos well known for having a very strong base and balance.Theyd be the best examples. Swept Coleman too but the less said about that fight the better :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SDTimeout wrote: »
    My main gripe in backing Jones ( and i think he is a very very talented fighter ) is that he hasn't decimated a true striker.
    Vera?
    Swept Machida twice whos well known for having a very strong base and balance.Theyd be the best examples. Swept Coleman too but the less said about that fight the better :pac:

Good base and balance, yes
    One of the best wrestlers in MMA, no

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Vera?

Good base and balance, yes
    One of the best wrestlers in MMA, no
    No but that was an answer the the Octagon question to show he can do it there. The best example would be Randleman who when they fought was one of the best. He got swept and then had his leg bent to a scary place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If the Shogun of the old Pride days turns up he'll destroy Jones, if the Shogun who beat Chcuk & Lyoto (twice) turned up then he'll destroy Jones but if it's the Shogun who lost to Griffin and just about beat Coleman turns up then he'll lose.

I think SHogun will take it within 2 rounds, i honestly don't rate Jones as highly as a lot of other people, sure the kid's got a lot of talent and promise by the bucketload but is he really ready for this BIG step up in class??

scudzilla wrote: »
    If the Shogun of the old Pride days turns up he'll destroy Jones, if the Shogun who beat Chcuk & Lyoto (twice) turned up then he'll destroy Jones but if it's the Shogun who lost to Griffin and just about beat Coleman turns up then he'll lose.

I think SHogun will take it within 2 rounds, i honestly don't rate Jones as highly as a lot of other people, sure the kid's got a lot of talent and promise by the bucketload but is he really ready for this BIG step up in class??
    Exactly. This is a massive leap for any fighter to make especially at such an early stage of his career. Its pretty much a 2 teer jump from midcard/tv card fighters to the best in the world and skipping a lot of the top 10.
    I dont think he'll be able to use any of his usual kinda wild striking either. Against a striker of Shoguns caliber it just leaves holes and they will be exploited. He's never really fought anyone who Id class as anyway dangerous off their back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Exactly. This is a massive leap for any fighter to make especially at such an early stage of his career. Its pretty much a 2 teer jump from midcard/tv card fighters to the best in the world and skipping a lot of the top 10.
    I dont think he'll be able to use any of his usual kinda wild striking either. Against a striker of Shoguns caliber it just leaves holes and they will be exploited. He's never really fought anyone who Id class as anyway dangerous off their back either.

Your definitely right on this one but as much logic and rational thinking goes, I still have this feeling in my "bones" (apologize for the pun :pac:) that Jon Jones is going to win. I am a big Shogun fan, I think he is a true champion but I get this feeling as though he will be dominated by Jones. This is however a massive leap in competition for Jones, his last three wins are against Bader, Matyushenko and Vera, I am not impressed with any of these guys. I would of liked Jones to have fought someone like Thiago Silva before the title shot. Even Bader has not impressed me, a win against Jardine and what I thought was actually a lose against Lil Nog. Jon Jones will beat Shogun, how do I know, I don't, its just a feeling I have :o

My call is Jones trys a spinning elbow/back kick and misses. Shogun decides "Thats grand", gets Arona fight flashbacks and tornado kicks him in the face :pac:

I'm just gona call it here.

Jones in rd 2.
    Spinning elbow to KO or leads to TKO

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm just gona call it here.

Jones in rd 2.
    Spinning elbow to KO or leads to TKO

Seeing as you're so confident i'll bet 50euro with you that it doesn't end that way ;)

It's about time a Mod changed the title to be honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Really think people are writing Shogun off wayyyyyy to easily , even paddy power. Shoguns last 3 fights have been very impressive, he looks to be in a rich vein of form and to be honest I think Jones is yet to prove himself. Grand he can pull of the flashy moves but he won't try that against Shogun. He did perform against Bader but he won't be able to assert that level of control over Shogun, not a hope.

Shogun KO, get on it !!!

Here we go with the bets again. This whole forum is addicted to gambling :pac:
    We should have a subforum.

Like this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056130753

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Think this is the first fight I'm really pumped for this year.

As people are saying Bones hasn't beaten top 5 in the division yet eg: Shogun, Machida, Evans, Rampage, Randy/Hendo/Thiago Silva?

That said the guy looks absolutely superhuman.
    I think Shogun takes this but he'll have to be 100%, no doubt about it.

btw looking at Shogun's soccer kicks in Pride, how the hell does he not break the bones in his foot doing it?

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seeing as you're so confident i'll bet 50euro with you that it doesn't end that way ;)
    I'd take 3/1 on Jones by (T)KO
    If the elbow is a must it gets messy

exists already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 th3lunatik

big shogun fan cant wait for this , i just got a hd projector this will be the first ufc event for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

UFC 128 Conference Call: Shogun Rua, Jon Jones, Urijah Faber, and Eddie Wineland

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-128-conference-call-audio-shogun-rua-jon-jones-urijah-faber-and-eddie-wineland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

After reading through the thread I'm not sure if this is a ufc128 or a Shogun-Jones only thread but here's something from the the rest of the card, Akiyama has withdrawn citing the events in Japan, with Dan Miller in as his replacement against Marquardt.

A pity since Akiyama is an enjoyable guy to watch, but I guess this is better for his UFC career.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Akiyama-Out-Miller-in-Against-Marquardt-at-UFC-128-30798

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Any build up show planned for this event?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bodie Broadus

yup they've a countdown show coming out on Wednesday!
    and i'm chuffed you dan miller, him and his brother are both great fighter and this is a fight he cant do poorly out of! if he wins he beats a top contender and if he loses, well everybody expected him to lose anyway and he's in Dana s good books! hopefully jim can get even closer to his title shot too!

Theres also gonna be an extra 30 minute special on Jon Jones broadcast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Prediction: based on him not wanting to stand with Vera for more than 3 seconds, I say Jones tries to take this down quick. Questions for this fight are #1 can Shogun use his footwork to keep it standing? (I reckon if Jones get's a hold of him he'll take him down for sure). #2 If Jones gets a take-down will he be able to control Shogun enough to do damage or threaten submissions? (I suspect not, actually).

If it stays standing I give it to Shogun - his first fight against Machida was basically 5 rounds of unbelievably technical striking. If Jones throws a spinning elbow here he'll get KTFO (but he knows that so he probably won't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭CFC007

Anyone else going to be at the event? I can't wait it will be my first UFC live event in the US

• Advertisement
Advertisement