Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 128-Shogun V Jones

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Anyone else see the presser there? Jones seemed a little over confident to me. Great atmosphere at it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rossgorry

Anyone else see the presser there? Jones seemed a little over confident to me. Great atmosphere at it though.
    Yeah he did, still love him though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

As usual great interview from Ariel Helwani with Shogun & Eduardo Alonso
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/17/shogun-rua-calls-jon-jones-behavior-ridiculous/

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

The countdown show has really turned me off Jones he comes across so arrogant! I was a fan of his before but his arrogance is annoying.

I'm rooting for Shogun. hopes he pulls off the KO. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

ollieo wrote: »
    The countdown show has really turned me off Jones he comes across so arrogant! I was a fan of his before but his arrogance is annoying.

I'm rooting for Shogun. hopes he pulls off the KO. :)

I'm the same and I had a little think as to why.

If it was someone like BJ Penn (who often says things like he wants to be remembered as the greatest of all time etc) who is brash with the confidence/arrogance, i somehow find it appealing.

But there's something strange about Jones' mixture of humbleness and arrogance that gets on my nerves. I really don't like it!

Can anyone confirm this event starts at 2am? All the reports I've seen say they're moving events forward an hour starting at 129 in Toronto but ESPN have it listed as main event at 2 (prelims at 1).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Can anyone confirm this event starts at 2am? All the reports I've seen say they're moving events forward an hour starting at 129 in Toronto but ESPN have it listed as main event at 2 (prelims at 1).

2 fights on facebook at 1am, prelims on ESPN at 2am, Main Card at 3am on ESPN

Tones69 wrote: »
    2 fights on facebook at 1am, prelims on ESPN at 2am, Main Card at 3am on ESPN

Just looking at this properly now, UFC's Facebook say fights are live on it at midnight which surely makes the 2am main event start correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Clocks havnt gone back in the US yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I got my Sunday planned, get up at 9am, download the fights, take dog for a walk, Settle down at midday wit a few cans and 3hrs of fights. Sorted

Not many fights will convince me to stay up throughout the night now, way to frequent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

im hoping shogun adopts the same tactics used again machida
    in their rematch.
    if this match goes past the second round i see only one winner...shogun
    it's a big ask for someone like jones this early in his career and
    there isn't anybody jones has beaten that shogun wouldnt
    have beat just as easily.
    too many ifs and buts about jones just yet for my liking.
    he might be the real deal but im not convinced just yet
    my money is on shogun at 6/4 :pac:

don't understand the miller marquart match up
    looks like a mismatch to me even if miller was a late replacement.
    there isnt any way possible for marquart to lose this one
    and winning it doesnt do anything for his career

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Having a hard time calling the main event. Jones still has a few question marks over him. He's never really fought anyone of the calibre of Shogun, or anyone that hits as hard and accurately as him, his chin hasn't really been tested. Equally, who knows what kind of shape Shogun comes in in, the last time he was out he came back in horrible shape and got outworked by Forrest.

I'll go with Rua though, would just feel completely wrong to pick against him when he's fighting someone so young and inexperienced at this level. That said, i'll not be one bit surprised if it goes Jones's way either.

I had no idea CroCop was on this card. He really needs to throw it in now, it's just sad watching him "fight" now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cordo

el dude wrote: »
    I had no idea CroCop was on this card. He really needs to throw it in now, it's just sad watching him "fight" now.

The fight with Cro Cop and Mir was just bizarre. Joking around and laughing during the fight. I mean, Im all for good sportsmanship but at the end of the day, they are supposed to be fighting, not sparring. I can't remember Cro Cops last legit win. In my opinion it wasn't Pat Barry either, I know that Barry is a legit striker but he showed too much respect to Cro Cop and didnt fight like he could've. Plus he's just not on that level yet in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Really looking forward to this event. Got me a tenner on Shogun (Under dog FFS! Thank you Paddy Powers!), Faber, Miller, Marquardt and Schuab. Hoping it comes in.

My only worry is that Jones will take Shogun down and nullify his BJJ with good wrestling and then win by GnP but that could all change with a couple of good strikes and leg kicks. Don't think JJ will like that and force him to rethink his options.

Besides that hoefully it will be a really good event. Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani[ should also be a good striking match hopefully. Some vicious leg kicks on Barboza.

Question there for everyone out there. UFC 129 will start an hour earlier now. With the clocks going forward soon this presumably means that the events will start at 2 instead of 3. Now according to Dana 129 will start at 8 in Canada instead of 9 so does this mean that 129 will start at 1 over here?
    Hopefully you can follow my trail of thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

biggest ufc bet ive done in over a year on the marq/schaub double
    only works out at 1.81/1 but i think it just a matter of
    waiting to collect

...he was out with his coaches, Mike Winkeljohn and Greg Jackson, when he saw a man break into a car, steal something and take off. The three men then gave chase.

Link

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I'm just back from a 3 day piss up in Dublin for Paddy's - I'm absolutely ****ing wrecked but there's no way I'm not staying up for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Yet again, Betfair not offering the full card or any MoV bets. Pain in the arse. I need a Paddy Power account.

They have Wineland at 3/1 to win though, that looks like a decent bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Fights starting on Facebook now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Really saddens me to see Joseph Benevidez relagated to unaired prelim. WEC forever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

scudzilla wrote: »
    I got my Sunday planned, get up at 9am, download the fights, take dog for a walk, Settle down at midday wit a few cans and 3hrs of fights. Sorted

Not many fights will convince me to stay up throughout the night now, way to frequent

:DSame as me hope they get the 1080i files up early will settle for 720p though

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

do people share streams here or is that against charter - i looked didn't see anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I've a feeling i will be asleep by Shoguns fight. I am tired at this stage and throwing this coffee into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

was looking forward to this for a while, hope shogun wins, should be a good fight!

have money on shogun, schaub and nate, hopefully easy money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

"That's a bitch-slap with the foot.":pac:
    Barboza wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Can anyone help me out with a good stream site? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out with a good stream site? Cheers.

http://roger-me.co.nr/

Is this starting earlier because of daylight savings or is this going to be a regular thing does anyone know?

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Is this starting earlier because of daylight savings or is this going to be a regular thing does anyone know?

Regular thing from 129. Which is gonna be good for us i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Mirko looks focused tonight.. I'd love to see him win, I couldn't care what else happens tonight if he wins...

No "Wild Boys" walkout fot CroCop! :(

Shame, it always brings back nice PRIDE nostalgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Starting with a war hopefully come on Mirko.

good round 1 from Mirko, limiting damage from the bottom . Thought he was close to setting up a triangle at one point.

Schaub is so dull, it seems like it's all conditioning/athleticism and not much in the way of spark or flare.

They need to figure out that rule about kicking grounded opponents too, the upkick from CroCop was fair enough IMO.

Back of the head a few times Herb not taking any **** here. Time for Mirko to bust the open mouth in R3.

FFS, wish the UFC would install a cruiserweight class, I hate seeing Mirko just held against a cage for the whole fight..

Upkick looked ok, he was holding onto cage too so all good. Nice kick in the balls.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Fúck.:mad:

Nice temple shot.

Horrible loss for Mirko, just shows either how powerful Schaub is or how week Mirko is, because Cro Cop was en route to a victory there.

Horrible sportsman ship from Schaub also, Cro Cop was blatantly out no need for the extra shot

Even I could telegraph a Mirko head kick! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Concussion city

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Horrible loss for Mirko, just shows either how powerful Schaub is or how week Mirko is, because Cro Cop was en route to a victory there.

Horrible sportsman ship from Schaub also, Cro Cop was blatantly out no need for the extra shot

Lucky punch IMO.

If only the UFC actually had some decent heavyweights to show up Schaub for the flat, boring dull fighter he is.

Hopefully this Strikeforce deal will bring some decent level heavyweights into the equation. Not that Crocop's not decent, but he is a little too old a little too small to make a real impact on that division now.

Give Schaub to Big Country again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Well, that ruined my night.

C'mon Miller, f*cking hate Marquardt..

Funeral for Miller here.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Lucky punch IMO.

I don't think it was a lucky punch. Schaub has great timing and was taking down Mirko when he tried head kicks. This time, he telegraphed Mirko's head kicks with a punch instead.

I'm curious why Mirko didn't mix up his kicks (head, body, legs) to keep Schaub guessing - much like GSP did in his 2nd fight against Matt Hughes, i.e. lots of leg kicks and then a sudden head kick which lands heavily.

ScareGilly wrote: »
    C'mon Miller, f*cking hate Marquardt..

Yeah, not a big fan of Nate, though I see him winning comfortably.

• Advertisement
Advertisement