Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 128-Shogun V Jones

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Evans will prob be worse off in reach than shogun was, Jackson will have to issue training the two of them. How long can Jone make the 205 maybe 2 or 3 years before he moves to HW?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

WOW!! Knew Jones was good but never in a lifetime seen him dominating shogun like that!! Im begining to belive the hype ha ha ha!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Shogun was a total joke there,made Willy Casey look like Manny Pacquaio.Absolutely zero cardio he was ****ed after 3 minutes.Well done Jones but Rua was a woeful & out of shape.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Shogun was a total joke there,made Willy Casey look like Manny Pacquaio.Absolutely zero cardio he was ****ed after 3 minutes.Well done Jones but Rua was a woeful & out of shape.

I think the blows he took was more the cause of him looking fecked than cardio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I have now entered the ranks of the sherdog fanboys who have watched their PRIDE idols crumble .

Shogun looked a total shell of his former self. I was a massive Bones fan, and do not begrudge him that win one bit at all.

Jones heel turn upcoming, Joe Rogan with interview.

• Advertisement

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I think the blows he took was more the cause of him looking fecked than cardio.

Yeah he was clearly hurt but he was puffing his cheeks something fierce on the stool at the end of the first round.Same thing happened when he fought Coleman he was exhausted when he ko'd a gassed Coleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Wow, shocked that Evans is willing to fight him. Evans isn't even half the fighter that Shogun is and he's one of the most senior members of that Jackson camp and a mentor for Jones.

He's already had the championship and had a relatively easy road to it. Complete nutter for accepting a fight with Jones.

Rashad has the tools to beat Bones, but tonight was my first time going against Bones and i don't think i should do it again.

Think Evans will need a quick KO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

wow Jones made that look easy. Shogun looked unfit compared to his fight against Machida. Also if you watch the end of the fight again you will see Shogun tap just as the ref is stopping the fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Gutted and severely disappointed :( but I cant take anything away from Jones there.Damn fcuking impressive

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Think Evans will need a quick KO.

He couldn't even finish Michael Bisping. Arguably lost that fight. Couldn't beat Tito Ortiz, look what happened him against Machida.

Evans should move back to heavyweight, he would have a much better chance of winning a title there.

Shogun actually tapped to strikes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Yep, you can see him tapping after the ref separates them. That hook to the body was the final straw for his ribs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Shogun actually tapped to strikes. :(

Pretty much, although at that point manslaughter charges were seconds away. A nasty beating was being handed to him. I felt Jones could have finished the fight after 3 mins of the 1st when Rua was initially gassed. Maybe he wanted to put on a bit of a show/get game time. Either way there was a somewhat embarrassing difference between the two. If Jones stays interested, he could be champ for many years to come.

Glad Rogan didn't say welcome to the "Jones Era". You just know he was dying to say it,can't believe how bad Rua looked. Jones is very good but Shogun looked like the one who took the fight on short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Not to take anything away from Jones, but Shogun looked embarrassingly out of shape, I know he took some big hits but it was shameful....

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Shocking for the light heavy weight division how dominant he was.

The only challenges for JJ now look like heavyweights Velasquez, Dos Santos, Overeem..

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

shogun must have injured himself during training, he must have an excuse for comin in that out of shape, 10 months to recover from surgery, he should have had some gas in the tank, one take down and he was done. he looked a bit soft at the weigh ins, bit of manboob action goin on

big shogun fan, soooo disappointed. Dont like jones, ill actually be up for rashad for the first time ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leeds87

up to heavyweight is a joke. JJ didnt get hit he looks way too skinny to compete with the big heavyweights i know he can bulk up but it would take a few years, if he got hit by carwin or velasquez it would be lights out for a week.

• Advertisement

leeds87 wrote: »
    if he got hit by carwin or velasquez it would be lights out for a week.
    By that performance last night I'd say he'd be favourite to win both of those fights.

id have to disagree with you especially about velasquez but thats just my opinion. Il reserve judgement until i see more of him. Its nearly tougher to hold onto a belt rather than win it

leeds87 wrote: »
    id have to disagree with you especially about velasquez but thats just my opinion. Il reserve judgement until i see more of him. Its nearly tougher to hold onto a belt rather than win it

Cain weighs in at 240, Jones walks around at 230 there's not much difference there. I doubted him before seeing that last night. Cain would fare no different to Shogun imo. I'd rather see an Anderson Silva-Jon Jones superfight though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Cain weighs in at 240, Jones walks around at 230 there's not much difference there. I doubted him before seeing that last night. Cain would fare no different to Shogun imo. I'd rather see an Anderson Silva-Jon Jones superfight though.

1 why are yee even talking about jones fighting HW, its not happening, and 2 I reckon Cain would manhandle him, his wrestling is every bit as good and his boxing and lets not forget his cardio is out of this world

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Jesus, that was some pummeling.

My internet went during the Jim Miller fight last night so onyl just watched the main event.

Only person who's style I think would trouble Bones in LHW is a 100% Machida at his elusive, takedown avoiding, countering best. But he'd still be up against it.

Rashad is going to be an embarrassment unless Bones decides to go easy on his stablemate.
    Rampage is far too slow to compete with Bones.

Hopefully Machida's confidence isn't too shattered cause he should be back in the frame if and when he beats Randy.

By the way who the f suggested Overeem would be a challenge for Bones? Did you see what Shogun did to him twice?

exactly i was saying its a joke to talk about heavyweight in the near future. Lets see what jones is made of now with a few title defences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Jesus Jones is a force to be reckoned with in the UFC.

I can see a Silva style streak coming down the road.

I also can't see him moving weight either as the LHW division is a bit lacking these days.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Jesus, that was some pummeling.

My internet went during the Jim Miller fight last night so onyl just watched the main event.

Only person who's style I think would trouble Bones in LHW is a 100% Machida at his elusive, takedown avoiding, countering best. But he'd still be up against it.

Rashad is going to be an embarrassment unless Bones decides to go easy on his stablemate.
    Rampage is far too slow to compete with Bones.

Hopefully Machida's confidence isn't too shattered cause he should be back in the frame if and when he beats Randy.

By the way who the f suggested Overeem would be a challenge for Bones? Did you see what Shogun did to him twice?

Are you honestly saying Overeem wouldn't challenge JJ at heavyweight?

Are you honestly saying Overeem wouldn't challenge JJ at heavyweight?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Look at his last ten or so fights.

Nobodies until Sergei Kharitonov who knocked him out in rd1 then his record is poor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overeem#Mixed_martial_arts_record

Which top fighter has he beat - Vitor Belfort, a middleweight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Which top fighter has he beat?

People were saying exactly the same thing about Jon Jones until last night's fight....

SanoVitae wrote: »
    People were saying exactly the same thing about Jon Jones until last night's fight....

Except Overeem already had the chance to beat them, and he failed miserably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

There's a reason weight divisions exist. Overeem would rape JJ.

There's a reason weight divisions exist. Overeem would rape JJ.

LOL.

Can't understand how Overeem has so many defenders when he's beaten literally no one of note.

He's been destroyed by LHWs Chuck Liddel and Shogun, and I mean destroyed.

Seriously, the only notable fighter he has beaten who currently fights at top level was Vitor, and he now fights at middleweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 7samurai

I can see your argument for this but the new ubereem is not the old overeem, just as Chuck has been retired and shogun really hasn't been looking so great after the numerous kneee surgergies. He is injury free, healthy and I feel he is peaking just in time for his total denomination of the entire UFC roster. I am telling you he is going to destroy anyone they put in fronyt of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

He gets mauled by Velasquez, imo.

• Advertisement

Shogun is my all time fav fighter but I honestly think his injuries have seriously been effecting him . Most fighter might have quit the sport entirely with his knee blown twice in a row but he showed truely what a champion he really is and given a major injury free career he could have been the greatest of all time. I honestly can't see anyone who could challenge Bones a this minute and time except dare I say it Anderson Silva

7samurai wrote: »
    I can see your argument for this but the new ubereem is not the old overeem, just as Chuck has been retired and shogun really hasn't been looking so great after the numerous kneee surgergies. He is injury free, healthy and I feel he is peaking just in time for his total denomination of the entire UFC roster. I am telling you he is going to destroy anyone they put in fronyt of him

You're talking about the UFC, I can't even see him getting past a great grappler like Werdum tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

He's been destroyed by LHWs Chuck Liddel and Shogun, and I mean destroyed.

Overeem was beating Liddell until he got caught, even hurt him at one stage, he certainly wasn't destroyed.

I was disappointed in Shogun last night, he came in with virtually no game plan and unfit. Jon Jones is amazing but the Shogun we saw was the one who turned up for the Mark Coleman and Griffin fights, he didn't seem to have the desire to hold onto his belt. Injuries and lay-off may have been a reason but it was disappointing to see a champion tap to strikes, the belt obviously didn't mean as much to him as I thought.

The whole HW talk is premature, people said the same about Machida. I do believe Jones is an all round phenomenon but lets see if he can actually be the best LHW of all-time first.

Overeem was beating Liddell until he got caught, even hurt him at one stage, he certainly wasn't destroyed.

I was disappointed in Shogun last night, he came in with virtually no game plan and unfit. Jon Jones is amazing but the Shogun we saw was the one who turned up for the Mark Coleman and Griffin fights, he didn't seem to have the desire to hold onto his belt. Injuries and lay-off may have been a reason but it was disappointing to see a champion tap to strikes, the belt obviously didn't mean as much to him as I thought.

The whole HW talk is premature, people said the same about Machida. I do believe Jones is an all round phenomenon but lets see if he can actually be the best LHW of all-time first.

True I suppose we should remember Stefan Bonner and Andre Gusmao took him to a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Jones is good i wont lie but Shogun wasnt right in that fight. After he got up from the takedown he was ballixed. They only conclusion i can come to is that either his injury was still nagging and his cardio was **** or jones broke a rib with that knee to the body as shogun was standin up. Heart broken anyway. For such a fighter to be plagued with injuries is a ****ing tradegy. I cant see anyone at LHW troubling bones cept a healthy shogun

• Advertisement

Jones is good i wont lie but Shogun wasnt right in that fight. After he got up from the takedown he was ballixed. They only conclusion i can come to is that either his injury was still nagging and his cardio was **** or jones broke a rib with that knee to the body as shogun was standin up. Heart broken anyway. For such a fighter to be plagued with injuries is a ****ing tradegy. I cant see anyone at LHW troubling bones cept a healthy shogun

Shogun on a giant dose of steroids in 100% peak physical condition would have had nothing for Jones last night. He threw him around like a rag doll, beat him up standing and on the ground. Beat his face into a pulp and basically left him to just go home before someone really gets seriously hurt.

Weirdly enough, I think the best two matches for Jones in terms of competition are Rampage or Machida. Not that either of them can beat him, but they might give him a better run than Shogun did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Nice to see Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani was fight of the night. Well deserved as it really was the best fight last night, a nice 70k bonus for them.

It will be a great fight but I think valaquez strenghts are in his standup and cardio. He has had problems with strikers like Kongo and Ubereem is in a whole nother level at the min with his striking. His take down defense is looking top knotch so should prevent most take down but if cain manages to get through the first few rounds I def see how can could pull out a win as I have serious reservations about Ubereem stamina and valaques could go for days. I know Ubereem is going to win strikforce GP and then demolish the ufc Heavyweight champion , it is his destiny

Ha don't make me laugh Werdum is going to get knocked out cold, don't believe the hype , Fedor was done, Overeem is going to knock him out cold with a knee as werdum over commits for a take down as we see so many times before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jones - The Lionel Messi of the MMA world. The lad is gonna take some beating. Regardless of Evans and Jones training together, I seriously doubt Evans will stop him.

Great fight. Gutted for Shogun as he was made look very very average. Take nothing away from Jones. He's a top athlete.

As for another impressive fighter, Dan Miller is quickly becoming one of my favourite fighters. He has improved and I'd hope that he gets a title shot soon. 7 victories in a row should warrant a title shot.

Overall, I thought it was a decent PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DAGEROUSDAVE

calex71 wrote: »
    Nice to see Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani was fight of the night. Well deserved as it really was the best fight last night, a nice 70k bonus for them.

Njokuani was robbed in that fight. He won rounds 2 and 3 in my book. That kick at the end of the round must've sealed the deal with the judges for Barboza. It was a good fight but ultimately it was just a decent kickboxing match. I like to see more mma in an mma fight for it to be fight of the night.

EDIT: FOTN IMO was Faber Wineland... fast paced mma action for 3 rounds.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Jones - The Lionel Messi of the MMA world. The lad is gonna take some beating. Regardless of Evans and Jones training together, I seriously doubt Evans will stop him.

Great fight. Gutted for Shogun as he was made look very very average. Take nothing away from Jones. He's a top athlete.

As for another impressive fighter, Dan Miller is quickly becoming one of my favourite fighters. He has improved and I'd hope that he gets a title shot soon. 7 victories in a row should warrant a title shot.

Overall, I thought it was a decent PPV.

Agreed, disappointed at the lack of submissions on show though. Think you mean Jim Miller although Dan did well on short notice against a top middleweight.

I reckon Shogun should drop to 185 and gain the cardio advantage. I know his physique makes him doughy looking but the size disadvantage is too big with all these high class wrestlers in his division. Jones, Bader, Hamill, Davis all guys that could slaughter him with wrestling skills. The wrestling aspect isn't as high at 185 with the absence of Chael Sonnen the only real top wrestlers are Yushin Okami and Mark Munoz.

185 has a lot of brawlers and strikers that would suit Shogun, guys like Brian Stann, Michael Bisping, Wanderlei Silva (if they'd fight) and Chris Leben.
    Who wouldn't want to see Shogun-Belfort or Shogun-Anderson?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wish I hadn't bothered downloading the main fight, horrible viewing for a Shogun fan :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Yet again, Betfair not offering the full card or any MoV bets. Pain in the arse. I need a Paddy Power account.

They have Wineland at 3/1 to win though, that looks like a decent bet.
    Pretty sure they had the MoV markets, and always do.
    Are you aware the UFC bets appear in two locations? The MoV bets aren't on the coupon

I've been saying JJ will be huge since the Bonnar fights, man handling Hamill etc. Maybe now people will listen.

Before the fight, a lot of people were saying how much the bookies overated JJ. Shogun will be a challenge. The Shogun-whores were a bit annoying tbh.

I said JJ would in in the second or third by tko, elbows to do the damage. Pretty accurate imo.
    I was expecting to come in here to general "Wow. JJ is epic. Only 3 years of training :eek:" "fair play to him"

Instead, there's quite a loi of nonsense being spouted.
    JJ to heavyweight :rolleyes:
    Debating JJ verses Cain, Seriously?

As for saying Shogun gassed, was a shadow of his former self. GTFO
    He was the same Shogun that beat Machida twice. It wasn't cardio, he was pounded with serious hits early on. That took it all out of him.
    Fair play to him for lasting over halfway imo.

JJ's knee to the head early was borderline illegal imo. Missed the replay. Would love to check again.
    Not that he deserved to be docked for it, Shogun was to his feet and the hand is a technicality. Can't fault JJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

Mellor wrote: »
    I've been saying JJ will be huge since the Bonnar fights, man handling Hamill etc. Maybe now people will listen.

Before the fight, a lot of people were saying how much the bookies overated JJ. Shogun will be a challenge. The Shogun-whores were a bit annoying tbh.

As for saying Shogun gassed, was a shadow of his former self. GTFO
    He was the same Shogun that beat Machida twice. It wasn't cardio, he was pounded with serious hits early on. That took it all out of him.
    Fair play to him for lasting over halfway imo.

I think most people knew Jon Jones was going to be big, question was whether he was ready for the step up after never previously facing a top 5 LHW.

You may say Shogun was hurt but you can't excuse him standing 1 meter away from a guy with an 8' reach advantage and not engaging first, that is madness and amateur-esque from a champion. He ultimately got caught with some heavy shots as a result of this illogical tactic.

Shogun brought nothing to the fight, it seemed as if he lacked belief in himself. I'm not one for bashing fighters but when a UFC champion taps to strikes it really leaves a lot to be desired.

Jon Jones was phenomenal last night, but I have a sense of regret that we didn't see him fight the best conditioned Shogun. JJ may still have won but Shogun offered very little, he had a non-existent gameplan, poor cardio (granted the shots would have had an effect), lacked belief and ultimately got what he deserved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement