Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 128-Shogun V Jones

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Yeah you'd swear Shogun ran out of there crying and screaming like a girl. He had the shíte beat out of him for 3 rounds and could barely stand up anymore. Give him a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Yeah you'd swear Shogun ran out of there crying and screaming like a girl. He had the shíte beat out of him for 3 rounds and could barely stand up anymore. Give him a break.

Also, if you're in the situation where you've taken such a horrible beating and you're thinking "ok, enough is enough", is it smart to fight on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I have deleted some posts above.
    There is no need for personal abuse.
    Shogun tapped because he was beat, and wasnt able to defend himself, and didnt want to take unnecessary damage. I dont see the issue with this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I'm disappointed that a champion tapped to strikes so I am considered a troll.

Remember it wasn't so long ago that Chuck was making fun of Tito to tapping to strikes.

Why don't you put forward a sensible argument as to why you don't see it as disappointing instead of posting off-topic garbage that doesn't contribute to the thread.

the only disappointing thing for me was that the ref didn't step in sooner than he did. I feel shogun took an unnecessary amount of punishment due to how tough he actually is, and eventually probably felt like the ref wasn't going to stop the fight until he was dead! As it happened, i think the ref stepped in at the same time or before shogun was tapping if i remember correctly. Having watched the fight back I really feel the ref should have stood in a couple of minutes earlier. Shogun was getting beaten very badly in every area, was clearly hurt, and I couldn't see any way he could win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

just a quick detour from conversation lads

how long do you'se think Jon Jones' body can continue to make 205lbs

the guy is ****ing massive, the fight didnt even look fair, surely once he cant keep making 205 being that size

the guy is ****ing massive, the fight didnt even look fair, surely once he cant keep making 205 being that size

I suppose it depends. If he's smart, why not? I mean, he's 23. he's young but not THAT young. He shouldn't change too drastically over the next few years surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It landed pretty well!
    Thanks you.
    So that pretty strongly backs up my "he was rocked, it wasn't his cardio" arguement.
    I'm disappointed that a champion tapped to strikes so I am considered a troll.
    You are coming accross a little naive tbh.

You are disappointed that he tapped. I don't see why, it was over.
    What if he just rolled up into a ball and kept still while waiting the Herb to stop it. Still on his terms, would it of been less disappointing. Why?

He is massive, but its in length and reach, he isn't carring the mass of a 6'4 HW. His walk around weight isn't that much different than any other big 205er.

I don't see why he'll ever struggle to make 205 tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Why is it smart to tap to an armbar before you get it snapped, or tap to a choke before you black out...

But it's shameful to tap to strikes before you get KO'd?

Shogun was as surely beaten when he tapped as he would have been if he'd been deep in a RNC and going purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I've seen some good use of side kicks by fighters like Cung Le before,
    AFAIK he has a taekwondo background,hence the use of the side kick.
    I'm wondering specifically about the side kicks to the knee, if people think they'd be of use for other fighters?
    I don't think that it would be as useful as a side kick to the ribs,I just don't think that low kicks are as effective as mid kicks in general. Where would you prefer to be kicked the stomach/ribs or the thigh/knee?

AFAIK he has a taekwondo background,hence the use of the side kick. I don't think that it would be as useful as a side kick to the ribs,I just don't think that low kicks are as effective as mid kicks in general. Where would you prefer to be kicked the stomach/ribs or the thigh/knee?

If you were Shogun, probably the stomach/ribs!

The reason the kicks to the legs were used is because Shogun has some very well documented problems with his knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I don't think that it would be as useful as a side kick to the ribs,I just don't think that low kicks are as effective as mid kicks in general. Where would you prefer to be kicked the stomach/ribs or the thigh/knee?

Theyre actually really useful.Absolutely ruins peoples footwork.Even if theyre not causing much damage youre taking their base away forcing them to reset their stance. Creates good opportunities to attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Its also much harder to catch a leg kick than a body shot.

Plus you leave yourself open.

I hate to jump on any bandwagon but I got to say that was probably the most impressive performance I have witnessed since Fedor demolished Nog.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Hard to believe he's only training 3 years. Holy ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Cant see jones ever budging from 205, dont think he ever really gets up over 225lbs which isnt that big for a 6ft 4 long as mofo, rampage walks around heavier and always makes weight, same can be said for soszynski etc

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

I'm not making a big deal I said it was disappointing.

When Shogun tapped he was relinquishing a title that many fighters would give the world for, it was disappointing that the title obviously didn't mean as much to him as I thought. I would have understood if he was seriously injured but he wasn't.

You can suger-coat it all you like but there is no doubt that tapping to strikes isn't the most admirable, add to the fact it was a champion and it is disappointing.

I'm not sugar coating it, I'm only pointing out the fact he wasn't the first champion to tap to strikes which seems to be what disappoints you the most about the manner of Shoguns defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    the only disappointing thing for me was that the ref didn't step in sooner than he did. I feel shogun took an unnecessary amount of punishment due to how tough he actually is, and eventually probably felt like the ref wasn't going to stop the fight until he was dead! As it happened, i think the ref stepped in at the same time or before shogun was tapping if i remember correctly. Having watched the fight back I really feel the ref should have stood in a couple of minutes earlier. Shogun was getting beaten very badly in every area, was clearly hurt, and I couldn't see any way he could win it.

IMO In championship fights the ref tends to give the fighters more time to recover (but often ends up looking like a late stoppage), some fights that come to mind which could/should have been stopped earlier are Carwin v Mir and Brocks last two fights against Carwin and Velasquez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Mellor wrote: »
    You are disappointed that he tapped. I don't see why, it was over.

You lads are all talking about shogun tapping, correct me if im wrong but shogun only started tapping after the fight was over. He was dropped with the left to the ribs and the knee to the head on his way to the ground, and then he started tapping, Jones was already walking away anyway. Or was i not paying enough attention?
    Just wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fracture wrote: »
    You lads are all talking about shogun tapping, correct me if im wrong but shogun only started tapping after the fight was over. He was dropped with the left to the ribs and the knee to the head on his way to the ground, and then he started tapping, Jones was already walking away anyway. Or was i not paying enough attention?
    Just wondering.
    He tapped after it was over but I doubt he knew the ref had stepped in at that stage. Was probably waiting for another one of those knees to the ribs *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If you were Shogun, probably the stomach/ribs!

The reason the kicks to the legs were used is because Shogun has some very well documented problems with his knees.
    Apparently his op went perfect last year and he had made a full recovery.
    From an interview I read last month, just said I'd mention it. I have no idea if "perfect" is actually better.
    Fracture wrote: »
    Just wondering.
    People are critising him for tapping. The fact that it was stopped isn't an issue in their argument.
    The fight was already stopped. Herb pulled JJ away and then Rua tapped the mat with his right hand. It's down as a TKO win, it was a TKO win. It was nearly stoped a few seconds before with Rua curling up on the ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement