Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 compulsory lessons.

• 11-01-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

The attached file is the draft RSA lesson plan for Esential Driver Training / EDT / the 12 compulsory lessons that come into effect in april.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

had a read through that there, does this mean that seeing as I will be on my second permit in february, I won't have to do these 12 hours of compulsory lessons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

That would be correct. It will only effect people who get their first learner permit from april 4th on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

thank god, ive already done lessons and dont have the minute to continue them at the minute, so thank god i dont have another minimum of 12 to do!!

thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

This will be a big change to the system in Ireland.....
    Lets hope; it helps to make our roads safer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Just had a quick scan through that PDF file so I haven't read it properly as i doesn't really apply to me so apologies if part of the answer to my question is in the link.

Anyway am I right in saying that as well as the 12 compulsory lesson there is also a certain number of hours (36 i think, isn't it? :confused:) in which a learner must drive accompanied with a full licence holder and then that be verified into a log of some sort? Or something like that.

My main question is, Will the insurance companies be reducing there prices for people who will being using ( or however you want to put it) this new way/system for learning to drive?

Or even after people have completed the official learning process and received there full licence will there be a decrease in prices of insurance ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mle1324 wrote: »
    My main question is, Will the insurance companies be reducing there prices for people who will being using ( or however you want to put it) this new way/system for learning to drive?

Or even after people have completed the official learning process and received there full licence will there be a decrease in prices of insurance ?

Thanks.

Some insurance companies already do deals for learner drivers who take lessons with ADIs. I don't know the specifics, but it does work out cheaper. However these policies usually have a lot of extra conditions attached.

In general though, for your normal insurance policy, i very much doubt this will reduce the cost of insurance for inexperienced drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

A couple of questions from a keen observer

1/ What input did the ADI's have in developing these lesson plans ?
    2/ How rigid are these plans (especially when you consider some permit holders are slower learners than others)
    3/ Do you think as ADI's these are workable

Now i'm not of a view that that we should let the status quo continue, i welcome any plan that may help provide structured learning from qualified people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Scant mention to motorway or dual carriageway driving, disgraceful.

Only in lesson 9 do you go on a DC if possible. There should be an entire lesson dedicated to it, even if the Learner has to travel to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

it will mean there will be alot less young people on the roads due to the massive expenses involved!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

No it will mean the same number of road users because the Gards will do nothing about it, much like the situation now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    1/ What input did the ADI's have in developing these lesson plans ?
    In my view not enough. The plans are being based excessively on those of other coutries. Not enough credit is being given to the previous registrar of driving instructors and their instructional material. It has been given to all ADIs, but how much will our feedback change I don't know.

2/ How rigid are these plans (especially when you consider some permit holders are slower learners than others)
    It is a minimum number, but it will be difficult to do more.It will require the student to agree with the instructor that they need to spend more time on certain aspects.

3/ Do you think as ADI's these are workable
    I have my issues. I think lessons 1 and 5 are too heavily loaded. Chances of driving more the a few hundred metres in lesson 1 are slim. Chances of most people learning turnabouts, reverse around corners and getting time for driving on a variety of roads in lesson 5 is nill.
    Scant mention to motorway or dual carriageway driving, disgraceful.
    Only in lesson 9 do you go on a DC if possible. There should be an entire lesson dedicated to it, even if the Learner has to travel to do it.
    Lane chages are mentioned in lesson 5. This could just be for turn etc. But allow scope for dual carriageways. I certainly agree that this is an important part of driving and have my students on DCs by this stage.[/QUOTE]
    More to come on this.

Advertisement