Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lovely new cafe on Michael Street, Waterford

• 11-01-2011 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I was in the new cafe where Da Vinci's used to be over the holidays & I must say it was quite nice,

great to finally see something in there ..... real prime location & it was empty about 2 years I'd say,

Can't for the life of me recall the name of it though,

best of luck to whoever is behind it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Its called Jamies Creperie and cookshop,owner by a young local fella by the name of jamie coade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Nice lad, him and his Dad, and kept everything local too when trying to open it unlike some larger places in the city recently. Fair play to them and best of luck to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I was in there. Food was nice, but they have some teething problems. One is they need to put the dishwasher on a higher temperature (pancakes and nutella need a higher temperature to get the stuff properly clean), and use some more tables for two rather than big tables. Also what the pot shop at the back about??? I suppose they will use that in the future for more tables.

Best of luck to them. I hope they do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

dayshay the 'potshop' in the back is the only bricks and mortar shop in the southeast where one can get cake decorating supplies, absolutely fab thats its open, as there is a budding demand for cake & pastry equiptment which could only previously be purchased in our more major cities and online. well done them, ill certainily be throwing as much custom as i can their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Temple Bar used to be my fav pub in the city. It was heart breaking when it closed down and even worse when Da Vinci's went in there and it wasn't the same despite tbf to them they tried.

It's a great location for a cafe and I wish them well. What's the coffee like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

God I feel so old, Bobby Magee's was my favourite pub!

My friend is obsessed with cake supplies, I'll have to venture down for a treat for her.

Straycat wrote: »
    dayshay the 'potshop' in the back is the only bricks and mortar shop in the southeast where one can get cake decorating supplies, absolutely fab thats its open, as there is a budding demand for cake & pastry equiptment which could only previously be purchased in our more major cities and online. well done them, ill certainily be throwing as much custom as i can their way.

I suppose if the cafe takes off they can expand out the back and give the pots their own dedicated shop.

I think its a bit mad, but I like that. Gives a city a bit of character. A bit like Phelans tobacconist having a hair dresser in the back and selling cigars and pen knives in the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Saw it open over the Holidays but it always looked too packed to go in (I'm never happy so I am :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

This post has excited me and is very good news :D:D:D I bake a lot, at least a couple of times a week and have had to order cake decorating stuff from UK when I cannot get to Cork or Dublin which is a pain when you just want something small without having to place a big order plus I like browsing.

I shall be in there tomorrow morning and shall spread the word to my cake baking friends who like me have often moaned about lack of such items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Amazing that nobody has thought of opening such a shop before. Like there are allot of bakers out there. Fair play to them for thinking of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Lads, the same people have one for years on the Park Road (BKR)!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

AdMMM wrote: »
    Saw it open over the Holidays but it always looked too packed to go in (I'm never happy so I am :p )

Yeah it was jammers before Christmas (Like everywhere in town, the stress!!) but it was quieter when I went the other day, still with a steady stream of customers. I was very awkward about changing fillings (before noticing the 'make your own' option!) and they were very nice about it. I hope they do well as it's a tough time to start out but hopefully they've a good combination with the cafe/slightly random shop :p

Also saw a 'sweet shop' style cafe at the top of the street where the shoe centre and the old cinema is. Anyone been?

There was one on the Quay until a couple of years ago. I've got a couple of things in BKR in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Lads, the same people have one for years on the Park Road (BKR)!

ya, for the equiptment, but they didnt stock icing paste colours or imprinting pads, or different cupcake cases etc.

ya, for the equiptment, but they didnt stock icing paste colours or imprinting pads, or different cupcake cases etc.

Yeah none of the actual cake decorating things such as cake jewellery, edible glitter etc.

araic88 wrote: »
    I hope they do well as it's a tough time to start out but hopefully they've a good combination with the cafe/slightly random shop :p

Actually now is probably the best time to open up. Rents are a fraction of what they were a few years ago, so you can face lower costs than the opposition. Plus you'll find it easy to get someone to fit it out, and can buy some second hand machinery.

Things will improve, and if you can manage in a depression you can then ride the wave to the good times again.

Hurray for randomness :D

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Went in just after 4 on Sunday, place empty, 3 staff near the front door, one of whom I'm sure was the owner, one sweeping the floor rushed us to our seats..back in a mo... left there for over 10 minutes while the owner and one of them had a heated argument, eg she should have known this, I was only helping her, etc

Charming.... as we were leaving they rushed over, are you all right, we'll be over to you now, I replied your obviously not open for business.

God only knows what the food would have been like if we had stayed under those conditions.:(

Shouldn't this be in the restaurant sticky thread. People mightn't see your header and think you are talking about the pancake place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Didn't know Jamie had opened up his own place. Was in school with him. Nice fella. Hope it works out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

BKR are now out of business, we used them as a supplier where I work, nice to see they are local :D Best of luck to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was in there a while ago, I thought it was a great idea and the cake shop at the back was a good idea now the one on the Quay has closed. I wasn't madly impressed by the food though.

I didn't get the impression that the crepe I had was freshly made and it was served on a stone cold plate, so it just tasted like a rather sad and damp pancake. Hope it was teething troubles, I'll give it another go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

bobby magees was a mad place alrite good look to the new business in there ,especially seen its a local enterprise..

Advertisement