Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair Extensions - A Warning to the Ladies, (and Lads?)

• 11-01-2011 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'd like to share my experience with you all and hopefully encourage other ladies to rethink getting blasted hair extensions.

I always cherished my locks, (apart from a misguided attempt to iron them when I was young and foolish.) From when I was around 17 to 19 I was all arrogant swishes and 100 hairbrushes a night. Then when I got to my second year of college, in reaction to a bad break up (cliché, thy name is woman,) I cut my hair.

I hated it and so for my 20th birthday I saved and took donations for my hair extensions. They were 450euro and I thought I really researched them. I got the glue ones but the hairdresser assured me that they wouldn't ruin my hair and they were super safe. She was wrong.

I took really good care of my hair and the extensions but unbeknownst to me my natural hair was dreading just above the glue. Not good. When I finally took them out (another 180quid) my hair was weak and thin and in absolutely terrible condition.

My confidence plummeted so I started wearing the clip in hair extensions. I wore them for about 6 months and took them out one day to get my hair cut.

My hairdresser was gob smacked, she took out a mirror and showed me bald spots on my head. Literal, white scalped, disgusting bald spots.

That was three years ago. Since then I haven't TOUCHED hair extensions but my hair has not grown passed my shoulders....in three years. I regularly get trims but my hair is still thin and weak and won't grow. I now hate my hair and I'm furious with myself for messing with it at all.

Now, before anyone points it out, I know I was somewhat ignorant to blindly trust the hairdresser but be kind, I was young. I also hope that people don't think this thread vapid or vain; most girls know that among other things confidence IS linked to appearance and mine took a big blow with all this crap.

I see my mates wearing the clip in ones and I despair. Think about it ladies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I'm surprised this got no replys or thanks

Thanks for posting this and warning us, i'll will avoid glue in extensions after reading this, I'll stick with clip ins from a reliable source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Weaves are fine - no glue. My hair is in perfect condition and I`ve had them 3 times now. Thats why I went for them there the only safe option for permanent extentions (ie not clip ins).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

That's shocking alright. Sorry to hear it OP.

Can I ask, hows your diet? A girl I know has the same problem, her hair won't go past the shoulders but she is a vegetarian.
    My hairdresser is forever going on about diet and nutrients and hair. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

reallyrose wrote: »
    That's shocking alright. Sorry to hear it OP.

Can I ask, hows your diet? A girl I know has the same problem, her hair won't go past the shoulders but she is a vegetarian.
    My hairdresser is forever going on about diet and nutrients and hair. :pac:

I'm vegetarian too, have been for about 2 years and if anything my hair grows, faster, thicker, with less split ends and in better condition now than it did before I stopped eating meat. While she may have been lacking nutrients, its not as a result of not eating meat, perhaps not eating enough protein but protein does not always mean meat.

I've never gotten extentions (despite HATING having short hair for 3 years - I'm another post-break up cliché :pac:) but I don't know if I could risk wrecking my hair. My friends that do use them only have the ones you put in and take out each night.

OP- Have you tried taking hair/skin/nails supplements? Perfectil is supposed to be brilliant! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I'm vegetarian too, have been for about 2 years and if anything my hair grows, faster, thicker, with less split ends and in better condition now than it did before I stopped eating meat. While she may have been lacking nutrients, its not as a result of not eating meat, perhaps not eating enough protein but protein does not always mean meat.

I've never gotten extentions (despite HATING having short hair for 3 years - I'm another post-break up cliché :pac:) but I don't know if I could risk wrecking my hair. My friends that do use them only have the ones you put in and take out each night.

OP- Have you tried taking hair/skin/nails supplements? Perfectil is supposed to be brilliant! :)
    These seem like the best option really, extensions are quite permanent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

As far as I know they dont do glue in hair extensions anywhere any more as they are so bad for your hair, I have micro ring extensions and my hair is in perfect condition with no problems! Anyone elseI know that has had them says the same, Micro ring does no damage to you hair, nor does it cause baldness, it weas most likely from the glue that that happened to you, clip in extensions dont cause it either

As far as I know they dont do glue in hair extensions anywhere any more as they are so bad for your hair, I have micro ring extensions and my hair is in perfect condition with no problems! Anyone elseI know that has had them says the same, Micro ring does no damage to you hair, nor does it cause baldness, it weas most likely from the glue that that happened to you, clip in extensions dont cause it either

I`m suprised, I never even considered micro ring becuase of all the horror storys I`ve heard and seen from girls. Well you must be lucky cause I`ve seen 2 girls balled spots and thinned hair maybve they had thin hair or something in the first place.

theg81der wrote: »
    I`m suprised, I never even considered micro ring becuase of all the horror storys I`ve heard and seen from girls. Well you must be lucky cause I`ve seen 2 girls balled spots and thinned hair maybve they had thin hair or something in the first place.

all the horror stories are about glue extensions, not micro ring, micro ring basically just clips it on to your hair, I dont see how that can cause bald spots, you can take them out at any time too if you want, theyre not glued to your head or anything, it was the best thing I ever did getting them

hers an faq link which backs up what I said
    http://www.ourlittlesecret.ie/faqs/hair-extension-faqs.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I had glue in hair extensions when I was about 17 and it was one of the worst decisions i have ever made in my life. I only managed to keep them in for about 2 weeks because they were put in so badly and were very painful. My hair was about shoulder lenght at the time I got them in and i had to cut my hair up really short to try disguise the damage after taking them up. My conidence was destroyed!

I've heard horror stories about all kinds of hair extensions, but I also know of people who have had them in with no problem at all. All's I know is that if I ever fancy some extra lenght I'll be sticking to clip ins!

all the horror stories are about glue extensions, not micro ring, micro ring basically just clips it on to your hair, I dont see how that can cause bald spots, you can take them out at any time too if you want, theyre not glued to your head or anything, it was the best thing I ever did getting them

hers an faq link which backs up what I said
    http://www.ourlittlesecret.ie/faqs/hair-extension-faqs.html

No definetely micro ring which is nothing to do with glue, I do know my extensions. They do look better I have to admit thou but I still wouldn`t.

I`m going to try to get pu skin wefts in next time if anyone knows where you can buy them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

I have had in bonded (glued) extensions in a good bit over the past couple of years... and my hair has been in fine condition after I've taken them out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

it was the best thing I ever did getting them

I also <3 my micro rings. Long, swishy hair is finally mine! And the colour match is literally perfect which is amazing since I have an auburny reddy blonde colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Those ring extensions have ruined my friend's hair as well though - she's had to cut her hair right up since she started getting them. She's wrecking her hair but loves the extensions too much to give them up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

That's awful OP, thanks for sharing.

Although I can't quite understand you can put your hair not growing down to the hair extension. Hair grows from the root, so there's no way the extensions should affect it's growth. Perhaps you should look at other factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Jenvict

Clip in extensions also cause hair loss. I have been using them 4 years and I used to wear them nearly everyday then I noticed my hair was getting thinner and then one day I was dividing my hair into sections and noticed bald patches where I clipped the extensions in. Th clips are supposed to tear your hair out. Now I only wear them at the weekend.

Pythia wrote: »
    I also <3 my micro rings. Long, swishy hair is finally mine! And the colour match is literally perfect which is amazing since I have an auburny reddy blonde colour.

I went from having short ish dark hair to long red hair after getting it dyed and extensions, I dont think I can ever go back to my normal hair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I have had glue in extensions recently, and I cannot believe how much the OP had to pay for hers. It seems they were put in badly to have caused that much damage. Mine were €300 and that included getting them removed. My hair was weak when I got them taken out, but that was my own fault. I didnt condition my own hair enough, just the extensions when I was washing my hair. Also I have one bald patch, again my own fault where I accidentally GHD'd the glue and it melted into my hair. Other than that I was extremely satisfied with them and I will definitely get them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 lyndilynda

Hi can I ask you what way ur hair was when u removed the micro rings, was it shorter than before?? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement