Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Employers - IT

Options
  • 11-01-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi All,

Thinking of changing jobs soon enough (Java developer) and having a look about on the market. Was in touch with recruitment agents about a couple of roles but as ever they try and push you as hard as they can into whatever client that have going at the time.

Just wondering though - does anyone here know of any or can recommend any good companies to work for??

Google/Facebook etc all have the good reps but are there any others that might be worth a look???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's hard to say one way or the other - people want different things from their employer.

Google do get a good rep, but to me the perks that the staff talk about are really just ways to make it easier for staff to work longer hours. Free pizza and laundry is great; but I'd rather not stay in 2 hours late to earn it.

What's a good employer to you? If it's a relatively stable job, pension, normal hours etc - then you might find that a good employer for you is not a cutting edge technology firm with bean bags scattered around the office; it might be a more corporate style company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

eoin wrote: »
    It's hard to say one way or the other - people want different things from their employer.

Google do get a good rep, but to me the perks that the staff talk about are really just ways to make it easier for staff to work longer hours. Free pizza and laundry is great; but I'd rather not stay in 2 hours late to earn it.

What's a good employer to you? If it's a relatively stable job, pension, normal hours etc - then you might find that a good employer for you is not a cutting edge technology firm with bean bags scattered around the office; it might be a more corporate style company.

Plus would you want to go through the Google interview process?

Googles interview process is legendary!

OP - Impossible to tell tbh because a good company for one person is a nightmare for another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭TheNewMee

I'm not sure the IT industry is the best place to work if you want stable hours. In most companies (even big multinationals) there is a strong expectation that people will work as long as they need to to get their work done; this is fine most of the time but when you're in crunch time at the end of a project then you're going to be working well into the evening no matter where you are I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

OP - Impossible to tell tbh because a good company for one person is a nightmare for another.

That sums it up well!
    TheNewMee wrote: »
    I'm not sure the IT industry is the best place to work if you want stable hours. In most companies (even big multinationals) there is a strong expectation that people will work as long as they need to to get their work done; this is fine most of the time but when you're in crunch time at the end of a project then you're going to be working well into the evening no matter where you are I think.

That's another good point. In most cases, time in lieu is about all you can expect for working long hours when it comes to release time. Some places do pay overtime, but it's not too common in IT.

So again, it depends on what the OP considers a good employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

Haha true!

Personally I have no problem with working extra - if stuff needs to get done for a project you just have to do it. Its hard to nail down a software development job to just 9 - 5. Never expected anything for it in the past but a company who recognises that work has been put in and is appreciative or throws you a couple of days in lieu is always good.

And no - going through 7 different interviews (ala Google) isn't something I really want either - laundry or no laundry.

Anyone know any good mid-sized software companies that are hiring or have a good reputation??

• Advertisement
Advertisement