Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in the City

• 11-01-2011 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could recommend which gyms in Limerick are the best in terms of facilities and value? I live on the Ennis Road so somewhere in this area would be great, but I do drive so I can travel. I know about the troubles at Punch's so I'll avoid there, I presume. A pool would be nice, but is not essential.

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

fatgav wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could recommend which gyms in Limerick are the best in terms of facilities and value? I live on the Ennis Road so somewhere in this area would be great, but I do drive so I can travel. I know about the troubles at Punch's so I'll avoid there, I presume. A pool would be nice, but is not essential.

All advice appreciated.

i have to say i find evoulion in the south court spectular great sevice from staff very helpful and great offers on at the moment check out there facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionPersonalTraining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

I thought I read on last weeks Limerick Post that the clarion hotel were doing an annual membership of 299? Not entirely sure if that was the price... But I'm pretty sure! Better check about parking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Hooked wrote: »
    I thought I read on last weeks Limerick Post that the clarion hotel were doing an annual membership of 299? Not entirely sure if that was the price... But I'm pretty sure! Better check about parking!

There's a reason why, it's tiny,feck all equipment,etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

JJB - Kip
    Greenhills - too expensive
    Evolution - no pool
    Strand - ok but not great equipment choice
    Grove Island - Ok
    UL - Great but can be manic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'm gonna try the Greenhills again and see if they have dropped their prices yet,I live pretty close so it's silly not being a member there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I'm gonna try the Greenhills again and see if they have dropped their prices yet,I live pretty close so it's silly not being a member there

Same here but their prices are crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

fatgav, what gym is the best for you depends on what you are looking to do there and what sort of atmosphere you are looking for/are comfortable with. If you rely on machines and don't mind being surrounded by the typical 'gym heroes' then forking out for one of the bigger gyms is probably your best bet. If you'd rather a less testosterone infused environment and plan to do most of your work without machines then the smaller, cheaper options such as in most hotels would suit you best. Then there's also trainers to consider. If you don't want to find a personal trainer then what's above is fine, but if you do then which gyms have the best trainers also needs to be taken into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭DesQ2

It also depends what time of the day you intend on going, JJB's is where i go, busy in the evenings around now, mornings and midday would be fine, most gyms are busy around this time of yr tho, should settle down the start of Feb ha ha

I really like it out there and the staff are very helpful, I'm a student in UL and have been a member of the UL gym but find it gets too packed and the staff aren't great.

JJBs are running an offer at the moment 50e for 50days so it's be worth a try

or 99e for 3months.

BTW i'm not a staff member! ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I freelance (having been a member in both for years) in UL and JJB and equipment wise, they'd have a lot for most needs. There's also Club Vitae in the Maldron but tbh there's little weight equipment - no olympic bar, squat rack etc, sanovitae is very very small and the pool in 12m if im not mistaken. Hasn't where MK was re - opened? If you're into lifting, that seems like a maybe? If you're into ifting - then there's also Dominator gym. Never been in Grove Island but i hear it's reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

i have to say i find evoulion in the south court spectular great sevice from staff very helpful and great offers on at the moment check out there facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionPersonalTraining

Whats evolution like in terms of equipment? Also can you just go in and use or do they only do personal trainer sessions? Are they very busy in the mornings does anyone know? I'm hoping to get to the gym before work so around 7.30am ish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

timbertime wrote: »
    Whats evolution like in terms of equipment? Also can you just go in and use or do they only do personal trainer sessions? Are they very busy in the mornings does anyone know? I'm hoping to get to the gym before work so around 7.30am ish?

they arent that busy in the mornings they open at 6 and the equitment i find is brill you should just call in and ask they do great deals and they dont jus do personal training its just 1 of lads that works there is a trainer but would highly recommend them a visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭nickobrien1985

I'm from the Ennis Rd too, and I head to MK Fitness on Windmill lane.
    Friendly staff, free parking and close to town

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

has anyone heard anything about punchs being in financial trouble? was gonna take out 3 months membership but now not so sure as dont know will it be open in 2 months time....

Advertisement