Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream/Nightmare help.

Options
  • 11-01-2011 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

I'm dreaming I'm sleeping but wake up to the sounds of people having broken into my apartment, I cannot move (sometimes I can and go to confront them but then freeze and try to shout but can't) or scream and have an overwhelming sense of sheer terror.
    This is actually like constantly reoccuring as well.

It's really starting to disturb me.
    Any ideas on what it means?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

The not being able to move is simply sleep paralysis.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

When you go to sleep you're body basically paralyses itself so you aren't aware of it anymore.

The dreaming you wake up is a false awakening. These are very confusing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_awakening

I tend to get the sense of terror when I first experienced sleep paralysis, as I didn't know what was going on and was under the impression that I had died, since I couldn't feel my body.

The experience of "a presence" (intruders, in your case) is a weird phenomena. I'm not sure why exactly this happens, but I've had it many times when in a sleep paralysis state.

Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

If you want an interpretation style thing, then your apartment or house usually represents your sense of self or ego. You feel under attack by others, maybe socially anxious, and you feel helpless (the silent scream), and possibly frustrated with some aspect of yourself. In a weird dreamlike twist, maybe it is these dreams that you are frustrated with.

All the best.
    AD

Advertisement