Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish in Bondi

Options
  • 11-01-2011 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

I spend my days listening to Liveline podcasts. There was one on yesterday about fightin' Irish in Bondi junction.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_liveline.xml

Anyone see the Channel 9 report. From what I remember with the Aussie tv channels, they wouldn't be averse to a bit of sensationalising.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

ACA did a piece on a pub in Bondi on Monday evening, can't recall the name of the pub. it was it's usual sensationalistic approach. They showed the same couple of fights/scuffles over and over with a backing track of traditional Irish music. The interviewed neighbours who spoke about noise, vandalism and aggro. One lady named Irish backpackers as being the cause of most of the problems Usual ACA approach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

A few years back I heard the boss of an Irish construction firm describe Bondi as the aboriginal word for useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Wouldnt be out there all that often these days but its nowhere near as rowdy as it used to be (The Bull that is). The Tea Gardens should be burnt down mind, its grand on a Sunday or a weekend night, but try walking in there on a not particularly crowded night and you get eyeballed by every half literate redneck that drinks in the place. The cheap Bulmers is about all it has going for it.

Im more surprised any Aussies actually life in the junction, Ive hardly ever seen any. And in saying all that, yes, the odd Irish crowd get rowdy after pulling an all dayer- how many Aussies kill each other in the Cross every weekend after a few hours on the lash? I once stayed in a hostel that banned Aussies from staying, as to a man every group they ever had (usually sports crowds/ supporters) they ended up having to call the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

mandrake04 wrote: »
    A few years back I heard the boss of an Irish construction firm describe Bondi as the aboriginal word for useless.

haha it certainly doesnt mean that (I know you knew that but actually as a side note its interesting how some of the eastern suburbs got their name).
    Anywoo the teagardens its self is, funnily enough, not as bad as it was 20 years ago. It really had a rep back then and had a "real" pecking order. Now its mainly 20 -30 yr olds on the rip - not the old school peeps who have moved to two other establishments in the eastern suburbs.

The junction was never really meant to be an "entertainment" spot but due to the growth of the backpacker population etc it has become and mainly is concentrated in 2 spots. The reason why it gets the rep it has is simple. Its basically a retail area so with lots of shoppers coming and going any aggro is "really in the publics face". As opposed to the cross etc which are exactly what they are and meant to be i.e you dont go to the cross to browse the fashion stores and do your grocery shopping. The junction gets a different footfall from the surrounding areas especially over the past 10 years and as such the aggro actually seems way more out of place.

The idea for the juction 10 yrs back was to make it a huge collection of shops, malls and food outlets however it has not quite achieved that.

Rough at times yes rougher than bondi or coogee ? no way

Why Irish get singled out - coz their all over the bleeding junction. Joking aside i reckon you could walk in to the teagardens or cock and bull and find every county represented.

I usually get asked oh your Irish you must live in Bondi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

myhorse wrote: »
    haha it certainly doesnt mean that (I know you knew that but actually as a side note its interesting how some of the eastern suburbs got their name).

Yeah I looked it up on wiki
    "Bondi" or "Boondi" is an Aboriginal word meaning water breaking over rocks or noise of water breaking over rocks.[2] The Australian Museum records that Bondi means place where a flight of nullas took place.

I know the guy was just being funny, he didn't like employing Irish living in Bondi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah I looked it up on wiki

I know the guy was just being funny.

believe it or not there were aboriginals living in North Bondi up to the 1920's. Eventually moved on/were moved on for various reasons. Some rock paintings still exist from way further back. Worth checking out if you have any interest in the subject. Was at a function a few weeks back and there was a photo taken of the surf club and in the back round you could see the smoke and the humpies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hey I see nothing wrong with Bondi being Irish at least its a kick ass beach or was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Bondi is a strange place, in one way you have these millionaires living by the beach and across the road you have 6people living in a 2 bed apartment, maybe 8 at the weekend!

We normally flock to coogee/bondi for 1 of two reasons (or both)
    1) You'll never live by a beach again (this was mine) and everyone tells you to head here
    2) You know someone, and it's a social start in a distant country.

Damo - one of the reasons they Ban aussies is that when a load of them come to the City on a saturday they can either pay $30 a night in a hostel or $100+ in a taxi, or a 1hr + train ride home!

And yes 100% a lot more agressive in Kings Cross than Bondi Junction

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

paxo wrote: »
    ACA did a piece on a pub in Bondi on Monday evening, can't recall the name of the pub. it was it's usual sensationalistic approach. They showed the same couple of fights/scuffles over and over with a backing track of traditional Irish music. The interviewed neighbours who spoke about noise, vandalism and aggro. One lady named Irish backpackers as being the cause of most of the problems Usual ACA approach

This one?
    http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/investigations/8194474/street-fight-central

• Advertisement

Of god, what tripe, they loop the same footage over and over, of which most seems to be people pushing each other and falling over, most of which seems to have bouncers involved!

Compare that to footage from Kings cross in any given week!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gabria

Bondi and Coogee are fine for day visits, not pushed about living there
    Worked in Randwick area seemed alright
    During my visa year, I eventually settled in Neutral Bay so naturally I distanced myself from the GAA jersey brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

I think it's awful that Channel 9 are trying to tar all the Irish with the same brush .

Original Channel 9 Story

Have looked at the video a few times now and for the most apart from a few stupid fools all I can see is the door staff pushing people around .

Even the police officer in the video said that out of 9 reported incedents 7 were with the door staff fighting with the police .

Make up your own mind .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lol, what sensationalist tripe.

Firstly, King's Cross is far far worse than Bondi, (as are plenty of suburbs). Involving aussies and various cultural groups.
    Secondly, over the last few years, the CBH, for example, has a worse history than the cock n bull. And the major incidents involved aussies.

The major problems on the footage were security pushing people, often (as seen in one clip they were looping) a guy just standing there. Even the police correspondent agreed with this.
    I know for a fact that security have been involved a more than a few incidents there, there's a high turnover for a reason. The head security guy (not part of the contracted crew) quit recently over the way people were handling things.

The cock and bull, or the tea gardens aren't even close to the roughest places in the junction. The Nelson, is almost all aussies, and I honestly wouldn't bring relatives into it.

And, before somebody points out my location and calls me biased, I don't live in Bondi. I live in the eastern suburbs, and I figured its the only place near me that the average boards user would know (outside of this forum obv)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Haven't been in Oz that long but have drank a few times in the cock and balls. Wouldn't be my favorite boozer in Sydney by any means but at the same time I didn't see any hassle any of the nights I was there whereas I have seen plenty of rows in other pubs dotted around the city.

Seems to be a dig at the Irish and very much blown out of proportion. Living across the road from the PBH at the mo and the scene in that video is pretty much what you will see every night of the week down there from people of lots
    of different nationalities. Why single us out?.

Feelgood wrote: »
    Haven't been in Oz that long but have drank a few times in the cock and balls. Wouldn't be my favorite boozer in Sydney by any means but at the same time I didn't see any hassle any of the nights I was there whereas I have seen plenty of rows in other pubs dotted around the city.

Seems to be a dig at the Irish and very much blown out of proportion. Living across the road from the PBH at the mo and the scene in that video is pretty much what you will see every night of the week down there from people of lots
    of different nationalities. Why single us out?.

It's Irish week on ACA, next week it will be dole bludgers / refugees / muslims / car dealers / real estate agents / or a combination of all of these. In short it's a programme that relies on the shock horror approach to current affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

The 3 commercial channels - 7, 9 and 10 are very trashy & love stirring things up. Context is non-existant, you can't take them seriously at all.

A lot of the residents of Bondi fancy themselves as classy people so I can see why they'd have a go at the Irish pubs with people drinking heavily. Let's face it, there are plenty of messy Irish drunks, but it's pretty much the same as what you'd see in Ireland in any town or city late at night. A few bad apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

After watching this vidoe again a few times , I had to just write a small bit. I won't ever defend drunken idiots who fight and cause trouble because they deserve what they get but from this video it really looks to me that Channel 9 is trying to blacken the name of Irish in Australia. Just to get viewers . Ok the Irish like all cultures in the world are no saints. We like every other culture have our fecken idiots that shouldn't be let out of the country but we can't be solely to blame for all troubles outside all pubs in Australia.

I agree with the residents in Bondi Junction and every other part of Australia that this sort of idiotic stuff shouldn’t go on. They have every right to except that their neighbourhoods are quite and safe place to live and grow up in. That all the fools caught carrying out this sort of crap should be arrested and punished. However don’t put all the blame on the Irish Community in the area casue it can't be just us .

To all the Irish out there, I would ask that you respect the areas you live, work and play in. That you respect the rights of the people in those areas to be able to carry on with their lives without any interruptions from you. You may be there for a short time but don't act the fool .

When away from Ireland you are ambassadors for Irish every where in the world. Remember before you do some thing stupid that you are not only letting yourself down but your country as well. Yes I’m not joking you are letting Ireland and Irish everywhere down and giving all of us a bad name. That’s the way it is as long as you live out of Ireland.

Your no longer back home in your local town or pub . No one here will put up with your crap because your someone son or daughter cause here they don't know or care who you are . You do stupid stuff you get get what you deserve.

It all really comes down to RESPECT. If you have that for yourself and your surroundings thing will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

paxo wrote: »
    It's Irish week on ACA, next week it will be dole bludgers / refugees / muslims / car dealers / real estate agents / or a combination of all of these. In short it's a programme that relies on the shock horror approach to current affairs

Its like Newsnight for bogans really. That and the other show on at the same time whos name escapes me. All it is is money saving tips, stories trying to shame banks into letting bogans out of their loan repayments because they are too lazy to work toi pay them off, etc etc. Scum tv.

And anyway, arent the amount of aggressive homeless creating a nuisance around George St, Central Satation and the Cross more of an anti social issue? FFS there are rail cops standing at the gates of suburban rail stations trying to catch fare dodgers while at Central there are people loitering around the ticket machines begging and drinking. Why dont they do a show on that? Probably because most of them are related to the rednecks who watch ACA.

The other show is 'Today Tonight' and yes it is truly terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ozeire wrote: »
    After watching this vidoe again a few times , I had to just write a small bit. I won't ever defend drunken idiots who fight and cause trouble because they deserve what they get but from this video it really looks to me that Channel 9 is trying to blacken the name of Irish in Australia. Just to get viewers . Ok the Irish like all cultures in the world are no saints. We like every other culture have our fecken idiots that shouldn't be let out of the country but we can't be solely to blame for all troubles outside all pubs in Australia.

I agree with the residents in Bondi Junction and every other part of Australia that this sort of idiotic stuff shouldn’t go on. They have every right to except that their neighbourhoods are quite and safe place to live and grow up in. That all the fools caught carrying out this sort of crap should be arrested and punished. However don’t put all the blame on the Irish Community in the area casue it can't be just us .

To all the Irish out there, I would ask that you respect the areas you live, work and play in. That you respect the rights of the people in those areas to be able to carry on with their lives without any interruptions from you. You may be there for a short time but don't act the fool .

When away from Ireland you are ambassadors for Irish every where in the world. Remember before you do some thing stupid that you are not only letting yourself down but your country as well. Yes I’m not joking you are letting Ireland and Irish everywhere down and giving all of us a bad name. That’s the way it is as long as you live out of Ireland.

Your no longer back home in your local town or pub . No one here will put up with your crap because your someone son or daughter cause here they don't know or care who you are . You do stupid stuff you get get what you deserve.

It all really comes down to RESPECT. If you have that for yourself and your surroundings thing will be fine.
    I agree with what you are saying, but that clip sohws the aussies in a worse light.

honestly, they could probably use the same footage for next months special on heavy handed security.

That said not all security is like that. there are a few around who give you some slack if you just have a bit of, as you said, respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

hussey wrote: »
    The other show is 'Today Tonight' and yes it is truly terrible

'Today Tonight' and ACA are unbelievable. I saw an add once for one of them, can remember which. And they had a special on "Supermarkets = Death traps". They had some footage of some fat one slipping an hopping herself in a supermarket.

Played it about 4 times during the add, while the announcer stated that all supermarkets are death traps and you will die if you go into one unaware!

Or something to that effect.

Hence why i only watch foxtel now. Cant stand to watch FTA

• Registered Users Posts: 4 homedawg_

Anyone catch the reporters name from the news report??? Damien Murphy... Now i ask you how ironic??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Had to chance to listen/watch both.

ACA is as usual utter gutter journalism. First up all the offences shown on that show are not even worthy of prosecution.

At best there is one summary unlawfull assualt which could easily be explained away.

Second the "residents" are just a pack of curtain twitchers with to much time on their hands.

The Irish article is as bad especially when he changes tac halfway though, asking do Irish have work??

9 assaults in 12 months thats not bad.

Advertisement