Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pounds sterling to euro?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hello,

I have been living in the UK with the past 3 years, and am about to return to ireland for good. can anyone please tell me, is now a good time to change my savings (in pounds sterling) to euro, or should i keep my savings as pounds , until some other time, when i would get more euros foy my pounds? thanks jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Euro is currently at a 4month low so I couldn't see a better time than now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tomba

I would disagree; technially it looks like Eur/GBP will break down further. I would wait until it breaks below 80p to the €

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Tomba wrote: »
    I would disagree; technially it looks like Eur/GBP will break down further. I would wait until it breaks below 80p to the €

thanks to you both for your opinion. iv been reading up on it today, and from what they say, the pound sterling is going to get stronger towards the euro....so i think i will wait a while. Why do you say "until it breaks below 80p?" Do you think this is as low as the euro will get?

thanks again.
    Jo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

jocotty wrote: »
    thanks to you both for your opinion. iv been reading up on it today, and from what they say, the pound sterling is going to get stronger towards the euro....so i think i will wait a while. Why do you say "until it breaks below 80p?" Do you think this is as low as the euro will get?

thanks again.
    Jo

thier is meant to be a meeting ( in the uk ) on interest rates in the next week , keep and eye on that , if rates rise , the pound will strengthen further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Why would you necessarily need to convert your savings, are you going to spend the money straight away or just keep saving it here?
    You could just leave it in sterling and convert what you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    Why would you necessarily need to convert your savings, are you going to spend the money straight away or just keep saving it here?

Buy a car with hight VRT and import it - you won't have to pay the vrt returning home

no, im in no panic to convert it..just want to pick the right time when i can get the most euro for what i have. it'll all be needed once i return to ireland!! Dont want to miss out on a good return.

thanks,

no, im in no panic to convert it..just want to pick the right time when i can get the most euro for what i have. it'll all be needed once i return to ireland!! Dont want to miss out on a good return...so just wondering will the euro get any lower compared to the pound.

thanks,

poodles wrote: »
    Buy a car with hight VRT and import it - you won't have to pay the vrt returning home

already done that!!

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tomba

jocotty wrote: »

thanks again.
    Jo

In the short term it looks like there will be a bit of a bounce back up over 84p but medium to longterm the eur/gbp will continue it's downtrend which it started from it's high of .9799... In my opinion of course. I would think that it will go to a range of between .77-.80.

• Advertisement
Advertisement