Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 month deposit and 1 month up front

Options
  • 11-01-2011 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

If you start a tenancy under these therms does this mean you don't have to pay the last months rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

you pay your final rent on the first day of your last month, stay another month, then get deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

zeds alive wrote: »
    If you start a tenancy under these therms does this mean you don't have to pay the last months rent?

depends on what you agree with landlord.

most people will get the deposit back AFTER they end of tennancy and they have moved out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Any landlord would be foolish to agree that the deposit can be used as the final month's rent. That way they have no security to cover damage at all. Check out other posts on here regarding damage done by tenants.

We rented out my OH's house when we got married and our last tenants left damage that cost more than twice their deposit to put right in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It's pretty standard to be paying 1 month deposit plus 1 month rent upfront. It doesnt mean you're using the deposit as your last months rent, you'll pay your last months rent on the first day of your last month. Then hopefully if there's no damage beyond normal wear and tear you should get your deposit back within a few weeks of your move out day.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I understand , I'm breaking the 1 year lease and I'm not paying the last months rent as I need it for the deposit on the new place , I'm moving out becuase none of the issues raised with the landlord in writing were ever taken care of and I was fobbed off constantly , I ended up doing a lot of the repairs myself(fixing leaking roof , fixing leaking front door , raising front door step to stop water coming in under door ,sealed badly fitted windows , fixed and cleaned all gutters , finishing of sealing all sinks, fixed broken shower , painted apartment etc etc) the final straw was having no water for 1 week beginning of December and having no water from the 23rd-28th of dec because he couldn't be bothered to lag exposed pipes entering building , and all this in a 2 year old apartment :mad:
    I regret ever moving here and miss my old landlord as he was on point when stuff needed looking at , this current guy has 16 apartments and cant be bothered with doing anything to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

there's a set procedure to follow in your case, its on the PRTB/Threshold websites - in a case where the LL has broken the contract by failing to address the kind of issues you talk about despite being informed in writing of them, you are entitled to leave the property early without the LL keeping the deposit.

however, in the real world in which we live, a LL who allows his property to fall to ruin is unlikely to be overly fastidious about giving you back your deposit and being honest about what problems in the property are caused by the tenant, and which are the LL's problems.

the best result would be that you have followed, roughly, the PRTB's guidence on getting out of a property early, written to the LL giving your notice, the LL accepts that and comes around on the agreed date, says' yeah, i'm sorry that stuff has not been fixed and understand why you want to lave - its all fine, here's your deposit'. sadly you'll need to make up your own mind about how fair you think your LL will be, and tailor your actions and how much you pay from that....

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

OS119 wrote: »
    however, in the real world in which we live, a LL who allows his property to fall to ruin is unlikely to be overly fastidious about giving you back your deposit and being honest about what problems in the property are caused by the tenant, and which are the LL's problems.

As someone who has been renting for the last 13 years in most cases I don't expect to ever get the deposit back , out of the last 10 places I have lived in I have only got the full deposit back once , A lot of the time I'm met with bullsh1t excuses that this was damaged and that was damaged , which was always crap and I could prove the contrary as I tend to picture the whole place as soon as I move in and provide a list of stuff damaged upon my arrival on top of that I suffer with OCD and I am anal about cleanliness. So in this case I don't mind if he keeps the deposit in lieu of the last months rent , I shall be out 3 days after handing in notice and the place is his.

Advertisement