Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help.... fleas :(

• 11-01-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Hope ye can help, my doggie seems to have picked up fleas and i'm having terrible trouble gettin rid of them. I've always used the spot on treatments and never had any problems up until now.

I took him to the beach last week, came home and washed him (with a shampoo that says on the front it doesn't effect spot on treatments) anyways the day after I noticed something on his fur, yep a flea - yuck!

So what i've done so far - I've sprayed the whole place, washed him with flea shampoo, sprayed him with flea spray, washed all his beds and basically scrubbed and washed everywhere. Really thought i'd sorted the problem till I went home yesterday and was putting his harness on when i saw one on his hair - gutted to say the least. So off i went again with the washing and spraying.

I've no idea what i'm doing wrong and am getting terribly frustrated that i can't sort this out for my little fella, can someone please help....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

What spot on are you using and are the fleas you're noticing dead or alive?

When I got my first dog my vet used to give me Advantage which I didn't find any good at all. I went on to use Frontline which I found excellent.

Also you may need to treat your house. There are excellent environmental sprays called Indorex or Acclaim available from the vets. They are a little pricey but a little goes a long way. And make sure to hoover every day until you're sure they're gone and either pop a flea collar in your bag or change it after hoovering. I wouldn't bother using those supermarket flea sprays.

I use Indorex in my car too as I transport a lot of pound dogs and I find them excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Little Miss!

Toulouse wrote: »
    What spot on are you using and are the fleas you're noticing dead or alive?

When I got my first dog my vet used to give me Advantage which I didn't find any good at all. I went on to use Frontline which I found excellent.

Also you may need to treat your house. There are excellent environmental sprays called Indorex or Acclaim available from the vets. They are a little pricey but a little goes a long way. And make sure to hoover every day until you're sure they're gone and either pop a flea collar in your bag or change it after hoovering. I wouldn't bother using those supermarket flea sprays.

I use Indorex in my car too as I transport a lot of pound dogs and I find them excellent.

I was using Frontline, i've sprayed the place with a spray i got in the pet shop, can't actually remember the name now. Good idea on the flea collar i'll definitely be getting a few today.

The one I saw yesterday was alive :( i hoovered the place 3 times over the wkend, i just can't understand why it's not all working, the poor fella's skin must be nearly raw from all the scrubbing he's been gettin, he's an inside dog too so he's always spotless which is why it's sooo frustrating :mad:

thanks for the reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I think that you can't wash the dog for 24-48 before or after using the spot on treatments. So you may actually be stopping it working.

It won't work immediately, give it a week or so, and I'm sure you'll get rid of them. If he's going out and picking them up somewhere, they have to be on him and bite him to be killed, so you may see the odd one on him, but it will only be until they've been poisoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

No problem, the frontline should be doing it's job which is why I'd say it may be a problem with the environment. How long since he was last treated? I wouldn't bother scrubbing him, the spot on should be working if it's been applied in the last 4 weeks.

Try the Indorex or Acclaim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Fleas are tough bastards. When you think you got rid of them all, you haven't. It'll take a few weeks until they are all gone.

Is it only Frontline Plus that kills eggs too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Little Miss!

Toulouse wrote: »
    No problem, the frontline should be doing it's job which is why I'd say it may be a problem with the environment. How long since he was last treated? I wouldn't bother scrubbing him, the spot on should be working if it's been applied in the last 4 weeks.

Try the Indorex or Acclaim.

Thanks again for the replies.

He was treated with Frontline the tues before xmas, so it was quiet recent, hopefully the washing and spraying i did last night will work. I'll also be taking a trip to the pet shop this evening to purchase some flea collars, so fingers crossed this will work :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I'm in the same boat as little miss. I am reluctant to use spot on or spray as I am pregnant. And I am in the really early phase where any chemicals can harm the bean!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Jinxi wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as little miss. I am reluctant to use spot on or spray as I am pregnant. And I am in the really early phase where any chemicals can harm the bean!

I'v heard that feeding you dog garlic so maybe try either raw garlic crushed or buy the garlic tablets.

http://eartheasy.com/live_natural_flea_control.html

Advertisement