Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best approach for simple database application

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been asked to quote for a reasonably straight-forward database application. Money will be reasonably tight and I'm wondering what the best way to go would be. The characteristics are:
    • 10-15 tables, Largest table would contain 2000-3000 records (client information)
    • 5-10 simultaneous user access required.
    • Flexible reporting, report generation
    • User environment is simple network of 10 Windows XP boxes with one designated as a file server
    • Need to integrate/access OS files (office documents).
    • To replace an existing legacy Access system.
    • No dedicated IT support
    • Admin (metadata management) & User functionality required

The two choices I'm considering are Access or Apache/PHP/MySql. I'd prefer the latter as I have more experience with it and its is more powerful/flexible and I detest Access. In fact, if the decision is Access, I'd probably let it go. However, I do want to recommend the most appropriate solution for the client.

The issues with AMP would be their ability to manage a server and the requirement to do a lot of potentially unnecessary GUI work.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

If they dont have IT admin and you go giving them your prefered solution your gonna be in a world of pain when it comes to admin. As much and all as I hate Access it would be a more fitting choice for the client.

Then again SQL Server Express should be enough to allow for the specs and give you a better reporting solution for the client via reporting services. Which ties in with office which means your users are in their comfort zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Need to integrate/access OS files (office documents).

Thats more like a sharepoint doc management, or open source alternative. We're replacing many of our smaller access databases along those lines.

Advertisement