Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Sister Lives in OZ (Sponsored) is it therefore easier for me to get a Visa?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Im awful at researching stuff like this but I am moving to Oz in Sept.

Somebody told me it could be easy for me to possibly get a long-term visa via de facto...

Anyone know if this is true?

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Despite what you may have heard about Outback Queensland 'Families' that kinda thing is Frowned upon at a State and Federal level;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah even if you were not intending on sleeping with your sister..... having close family with Permanent Residence just reduces the required points from 120 to 100. You still need to have a trade on the SOL and meet the other requirements.

As you mentioned that your sister is sponsored... is that Employer sponsored or State sponsored? If its for instance a 457 employer sponsored I doubt you could wangle any way on her visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have you considered state sponsorship in Tasmania?

Zambia wrote: »
    Have you considered state sponsorship in Tasmania?

Yeah going De-Facto with your sister is required for that

Ya Know I'm surprised the Tasmanians arent better at Computer Architecture and Assembley Programming, what with their Ability to count in Hexadecimal n'all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

OP - de facto means in a relationship (hence the tassie jokes)

Unless you are a dependant on your sister, then your options are limited.

If your sister is on a 457 then the points system doesn't count in this scenario.

The short answer is 'No'

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

ooops that was quite freud-like of me to use the term de-facto but you know what i mean.

anyway i've checked it out further and it is possible to a family member to sponsor another but like everything, red tape and lots of bonds involved.

Just going over on a year Visa and very confident I'll get sponsored over there so happy out.

ah Shur, once ya get the start somewhere y'll be grand ;)

Tho its not a State crime in TAS:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

In order to sponsor someone your sister would need to be at least a permanent resident for a couple of years at least. If she is sponsored then she is not a permanent resident so it would not help you at all. What makes you so confident that you can get sponsored in Oz? It isn't just as easy turning up and getting a job and asking them to sponsor you..

ah BUT,
    from the experiences of a LOT of the people here on the Forum IT IS, really, You just have to be better and less lacklustre than the average unionised clockwatchin Compohuntin Aussie ;):D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

My Sister has been there for over 4 years now and has full status.

In regards to my employment there:

I work in the medical industry here, have 2 different diplomas in my field and a pretty strong CV. I'm 29 so just going to make the criteria for a visa.

I know at least 5 or 6 people that have travelled 1 year working and all got long-term Jobs.

Not all got it on the first year but all had found a sponsor by the 2nd.

What field do you work in?

I work in the medical industry myself, I'm an Engineer in Nuclear diagnostics and been sponsored twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

*i'm an idiot*

Answering your own questions in person is bad enough....in a forum...classic

Maybe I was trying to help the man out, sure what odds to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Maybe I was trying to help the man out, sure what odds to you.

Oh f*ck, i thought you were the OP just continuing on from the post above it. My bad lad

LoL

I work in purchasing / logistics and currently responsible for all medical supplies on the wards, cath lab, oncology etc in the hospital im based in.

markfdrums wrote: »
    I work in purchasing / logistics and currently responsible for all medical supplies on the wards, cath lab, oncology etc in the hospital im based in.

Cant help you there then, not sure what category that would fall into.

Have a look at this http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule3.pdf

or this one http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule4.pdf

To be honest I dont know if i'm going to go down the skills route as I could probably get in under medical admin. (I book people in for MRI scans on Saturdays for a bit of O/T doing safety checks / paperwork / Placement etc) but really dont want to be tied down to medical admin if I got in that way.

but then again my experience / qualifications include importing / exporting / supply and distribution management.... interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Look forward to seeing you in Melbourne

One of the Mods on Boards ( not a Mod of this Forum) works for the RBH, and AFAIK does a bit of rural Locum stuff, it might be worht something to PM him and see if theres something on the skill list going in Rural QLD.

Just a thought like;)

Cool good idea cheers bro

Advertisement