Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19" - 22" Freeview TV

Options
  • 11-01-2011 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a cheapish 19" - 22" Freeview TV for the bedroom. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

just to point you in the right direction, as your in ireland, you need saorview as you have no hope of receiving freeview.
    if you are looking for UPC/SKY then any TV will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Surely it depends on where you live? If you live near the border with NI you will pick up Freeview from there, and if you live on the East coast you will pick up Freeview from Wales? apparently if you were able to pick up the old transmitters from NI or Wales then Freeview will be accessible.

I am not 100% sure about this, but it needs checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

subway wrote: »
    just to point you in the right direction, as your in ireland, you need saorview as you have no hope of receiving freeview.

Ta mate. I was under the impression that you would be able to pick up Irish Digital TV signals on a freeview TV?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Surely it depends on where you live? If you live near the border with NI you will pick up Freeview from there, and if you live on the East coast you will pick up Freeview from Wales? apparently if you were able to pick up the old transmitters from NI or Wales then Freeview will be accessible.

I am not 100% sure about this, but it needs checking out.

his location says limerick...
    moz wrote: »
    Ta mate. I was under the impression that you would be able to pick up Irish Digital TV signals on a freeview TV?

nope, there are loads of posts on it in the past few months. just becuase it is freeview doesnt mean it will or wont pick up irish digital.
    the 2 things you are looking for with irish digital are mpeg4 & mheg 5
    uk freeview is mpeg2 so not compatible. many tvs will do both.

the simplest thing is to look for a saorview logo, hth

Nice one

• Advertisement

"no hope of receiving freeview"? Not true if you live near the border or along 'parts' of the East coast.

"no hope of receiving freeview"? Not true if you live near the border or along 'parts' of the East coast.
    didnt you already try to make that point? have you anything useful to add or should Moz actually consider moving from limerick to a hillside in wicklow instead of buying the correct TV for the service he is currently able to receive?

Brilliant! I actually saw a freeview tv in argos for €150 so the house is up for sale. I'm moving east!

have you anything useful to add or should Moz actually consider moving from limerick to a hillside in wicklow instead of buying the correct TV for the service he is currently able to receive?

I thought it quite useful to all readers of this thread to learn that Freeview is actually available to in certain parts of the Republic (Limerick aside), far too often Freeview is totally written off as if its a non starter, I was just trying to help, and anyway, I didn't know he was from Limerick when I first posted.

Goodbye, and sorry for upsetting you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

Hi guys.
    you've touched on a question that I have. If I am buying a TV and another Satelite box, probably NOT UPC or SKY, more likely some free to air box type thing. Do I need the tv to be mpeg4?

My thoughts are that it doesn't HAVE to be mpeg4 if you are going to have a satelite and are not relying on Saorview.

*just confused myself there...

• Advertisement

you're right, as long as you are using an external box the tv just needs to have scart/hdmi

mpeg4 is only relevant if you want to receive irish digital terrestrial via an aerial

I thought it quite useful to all readers of this thread to learn that Freeview is actually available to in certain parts of the Republic (Limerick aside), far too often Freeview is totally written off as if its a non starter, I was just trying to help, and anyway, I didn't know he was from Limerick when I first posted.

Goodbye, and sorry for upsetting you guys.

fair enough, apologies for the smartarse replies :(

Advertisement