Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GSHP and your garden!

• 11-01-2011 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

I was out in a friend's house last night where they have a ground source heat pump installed (horizontally). He was explaining that the horizontal installation was about twice the ground floor area of his house and that he couldn't plant anything on top of that area (apart from grass) as it may interfere with the moisture content of the soil and moisture is really important for the heat pump to work well.

I really hope I'm explaining this right :confused:

Well, I nearly had a heart attack! We are hoping to put in a GSHP on our site, but even though the site isn't small, I really want to be able to plant things on top of the location (there will be trees either side of the driveway etc)

Has my friend got it wrong or will I have a massive expanse of lawn where there'll be nothing on it except grass??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

<snip> he couldn't plant anything on top of that area (apart from grass) as it may interfere with the moisture content of the soil and moisture is really important for the heat pump to work well.
    <snip>
    Has my friend got it wrong or will I have a massive expanse of lawn where there'll be nothing on it except grass??

I certainly wouldn't plant anything like a tree or things with deep roots. I also wouldn't have anything shading the area too much, the ground is your solar collector. However, I have raised vegetable beds partially over ours (the rest is overgrown grass) and I've experienced no problems. Maybe it's a bit less efficient theoretically?

What is your soil like, is it normally dry? Grass is a thirsty crop too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

You can plant over it but not anything deep rooting as you run the risk of eventually damaging a pipe. Most of your energy in Ireland will come from the rain, so no impervious surfaces such as paths or driveways should go over the collector. Shrubs here and there are no harm though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...not only that, I've seen one where the collector pipes come to the surface, and even the grass struggles to grow on it, due to the lower soil temperature.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...not only that, I've seen one where the collector pipes come to the surface, and even the grass struggles to grow on it, due to the lower soil temperature.......

Thats most likely due to the collector being sized too small and extracting too much energy from a small area. The ground doesn't get a chance to recharge and freezes up. Can also happen if water is stagnant and not seeping through the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭uptowngirly

Jesus wept! I think I'd lose the run of myself altogether if the collector pipes arrived up to the surface - disaster :eek:

So far I've had two different sizes given to me re the heat pump (I'm interested to see what size you think I need condenser!) - but I'm guessing the collector area would be similar (note to self...must check collector area!)

Thanks a million for all the replies though - it's a definite consideration when you think how much land it takes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Model your house in BER and PHPP to determine the heat deamand on the house first.

Many factors (basically U value, window G factor, and orientation) will have an effect on the amout of heating you actually need.

Remember to have a way of topping up the heat - the long term average for dec in Ireland is about +2 - but last winter the average was about -5. Thats ok for a few days - but when it lasts 4 weeks you will need something to keep the house warm over and above what the models suggest you need.

Francis

Advertisement