Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edinson Cavani's 'scorpion kick' against Juventus

• 11-01-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

So is the a) simply a mistimed header from the Napoli genius or b) an intentional 'Scorpion kick' and the best goal of all time? He had already scored two and completed his hatrick so perhaps he was taking the piss or it was indeed an amazing fluke. What says you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Missed header imo. Only Javier Hernandez would attempt something like that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

There's no way he meant that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Fluke, came off the back of his calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

An amazing fluke for me,

If he was trying that, well at least if I was and it worked, my celebrations would be kind of like the commentator rather than how Cavani reacted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Even if he meant it, I'd hardly call it the best goal of all time.

And is it possible to vote for it being a mistimed header without agreeing to Cavani being a genius?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great player but a definite fluke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He stood up after the ball was in the net and didn't have a clue what was going on.

Fairly obv accident tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Even if he meant it, I'd hardly call it the best goal of all time.

And is it possible to vote for it being a mistimed header without agreeing to Cavani being a genius?

A bit of hyperbole never hurt anyone! It was more than likely a fluke although Cavani does appear pretty composed even after the ball flies over his head

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Intentional and further proof that Cavani is actually Rivaldo with hair plugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just a missed header, did well to get into the position and on the end of it all the same.
    He was amazing during that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If he attempted that instead of a header then he's an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Blatant fluke - great player though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I didn't notice this at the time. Fluke but a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I hate dull commentators, Sky sign him up.

Fluke me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

As said a very good player but without doubt that was a missed header and a fluke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Not even up for debate. It's not a great height for a header but it's an even worse height for a scorpion kick.

Maicon in the WC, Lampard against Barca or something like that and we have a real debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Fluke

/close thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

IMO it was a missed timed header that 'luckily' hit of his heel/calf.

When read the title for this thread I thought Cavani had scored a Rene Higuita style scorpion kick from outside the box or something similar :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I feel like a weirdo for saying this, but I think he meant it.

At 1.08 it looks to me like he ducks his head under the ball. Doesn't look like he's making any kind of attempt to head it when you see it from the angle behind his back. Then just as he roles over he's already bringing his hand up to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

A bit off topic but Lavezzi really is a superb player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Van Der Vaart scored something kind of similar years ago, and he definitely meant it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pfft, I was expecting something like this:

Clearly just hit his calf by accident

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pro. F wrote: »
    I feel like a weirdo for saying this, but I think he meant it.

At 1.08 it looks to me like he ducks his head under the ball. Doesn't look like he's making any kind of attempt to head it when you see it from the angle behind his back. Then just as he roles over he's already bringing his hand up to celebrate.

lol - check again ~23-24 seconds in, he gets up not knowing where the ball is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

keane2097 wrote: »
    lol - check again ~23-24 seconds in, he gets up not knowing where the ball is.

Yeah that's what I thought at first. But then I was thinking that it could just as easily be that he's in two minds about whether to grab a hold of the match ball straight away or not. Then at 1.10 it looks like he sees it in the net as he rolls over and starts putting his hand up. Although he could be putting his hand up claiming for a corner maybe, if he didn't know it had gone in.

Actually watching it at the further away angle again I'm changing my mind now. I couldn't understand why else he would throw his head so low so quickly when I was watching it before. I see how fast the ball was dipping now though, so it makes more sense to me.

OK I've spent far to long looking at that vid now. I'm getting my dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

that VDV goal was class! cavanis goal was unintentional - really shouldnt have missed the header though was at a nice height and he wasnt under much pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Pfft, I was expecting something like this:

Clearly just hit his calf by accident

If I was playing in that match, I would have to stop and catch my breath after that happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

My vote goes to fluke, although, the is no disputing how good of a player Cavani is. Watched that game myself, some of the worst defending I've witnessed this season, not taking anything away from Napoli, they were great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I was promised a scorpion kick and i still want one.

speedboatchase owes us all a scorpion kick.

Fluke btw.

Advertisement