Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIN number reversal tip

Options
  • 11-01-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Received an email today which stated:
    "If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your Pin # in reverse.

For example if your pin number is 1234 then you would put in 4321. The ATM recognizes that your pin number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine.

The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to help you."

When I searched online, the consensus was that this email was doing the rounds for 6 years and , although the technology was available, no one had yet to confirm its availability anywhere. Also, would it not be just as quick to call the gardai once the criminals run off with your cash?

In any case, if anyone has the ear of anyone within the banking sector, could you find out if this has been introduced or is it still just pie in the sky. At least if it turns out to be false, if I ever get robbed at an ATM (which has happened to me before), I can then concentrate 110% on my ninja moves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭swoofer

read this, then have a cold shower, delete the email. happy new year

xxp://ww2.nutechs.com/hosting/msobczak/Blogs/BlogSphere-1_0_2/LordLotusBlog.nsf/d6plinks/MSOK-6XGUHP

theoretically its possible but ..........

noah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

nearyj wrote: »
    Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Received an email today which stated:
    "If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your Pin # in reverse.

For example if your pin number is 1234 then you would put in 4321. The ATM recognizes that your pin number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine.

The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to help you."

When I searched online, the consensus was that this email was doing the rounds for 6 years and , although the technology was available, no one had yet to confirm its availability anywhere. Also, would it not be just as quick to call the gardai once the criminals run off with your cash?

In any case, if anyone has the ear of anyone within the banking sector, could you find out if this has been introduced or is it still just pie in the sky. At least if it turns out to be false, if I ever get robbed at an ATM (which has happened to me before), I can then concentrate 110% on my ninja moves.

If my pin is 1111, how do I put it in backwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

put the last 1 in first

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Ye olde urban legend :rolleyes:
    My advice, if your ever unlucky enough to be held up at a bank machine just do what they say. Its only money at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

*sigh*

Urban legend nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement