Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Pubs for Trad Sessions

Options
  • 11-01-2011 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭

I'm new to Galway and, yes, I know this actually on the face of it sounds like a stupid question so apologies straight up but I'm wondering what are the good pubs for trad sessions on a Thursday night and what are your favourites. I was in in Taaffes on Thursday and it was grand, 2 lads with guitars and a lad with an accordian but I'd prefer less songs and more tunes. Somewhere that isn't packed to the roof would be good too. Can anyone recommend somewhere that fits the bill? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A lot suggested here
    http://www.galwaycitypubguide.com/trad-music-galway.html

Some more in this Trad forum thread.

Most will prob suggest Crane and I would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Crane, Tí Coilí and Taffes are the top 3. With the latter (and to a certain extent all music pubs) you would get a tune session sometimes and others songs, all just depending on day and time (the Crane often has blues, bluegrass and singer-songwriters for example). The ballad sessions are becoming more popular again, but usually it's a mix of both. Look for a fiddle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Western Hotel at the top of Eyre Sqaure have trad not sure when but it's always quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

Western Hotel on Prospect Hill on Thursday nights at 9:30 and Rabbitts Bar, Foster Street also on Thursday nights at 9:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

NauP wrote: »
    Western Hotel on Prospect Hill on Thursday nights at 9:30 and Rabbitts Bar, Foster Street also on Thursday nights at 9:30.

OP, do you want to watch or play?

If you want to play, then on Thursday options are:
    • Ti Coilis or the Crane if you're really, really good,
    • The Western if you're really good
    • Rabbits welcomes a wider variety of skill levels
    • Dusty Banjos (upstairs at the Western for a paying class) if you aren't up to playing in public yet, or are learning a different instrument.

IMHO, leave Taffes for the tourists!

• Advertisement

Yeah, Taffes is more hit and miss these days than years past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gassdfres

cookes every wed night best trad in town midweek hopping

Oh yeah, forgotbabout Cookes. Some good musicians play there for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

An Pucan on Forster Street has great sessions, not sure what nights though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭squonk

JustMary wrote: »
    OP, do you want to watch or play?

If you want to play, then on Thursday options are:
    • Ti Coilis or the Crane if you're really, really good,
    • The Western if you're really good
    • Rabbits welcomes a wider variety of skill levels
    • Dusty Banjos (upstairs at the Western for a paying class) if you aren't up to playing in public yet, or are learning a different instrument.

IMHO, leave Taffes for the tourists!

Thanks! No, I'm a listener! Your last comment is why I posted this thread actually. Nothing wrong with the lads in Taaffes on the mic'd session but I prefer tunes and, no more than a lot of us I'd say, I love listening to great players. the boys last week were middling. You can't beat the Guinness in Taaffes though. I do want to take up the tin whistle so that'll be another post later on but I'll stay listening for now! Thanks everyone for the replies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement