Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Strangest Thing To Happen To You/You've Seen At A Metal/Rock Gig?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

Dunno what prompted this but I am sitting at my desk this morning and this memory of the Metallica 04 gig (the one with slipknot) resurfaced in my head.

I was there with a group of mates and we'd been drinking all day. Anyway one of the lads disappeared and he was gone for about an hour at this stage so we heading into the main arena for the start of Metallica's set.

About 2 songs in he appears beside us along with some homeless guy he found outside the venue. It was funny at first however a pit formed around us at the start of the third song (i think). Anyway the homeless guy gets into the pit and starts jumping around and moshing.

One of the lads calls me and I turned around ( I was in the pit). I turned back and in, what seemd like slow montion, I felt the homeless guys hand end up in my mouth. So naturally enough I puked my brains out but because I was in the pit the puke was going everywhere. Fun all round.

Anyone had anything similar happen to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

At The Gates of Slumber gig in Limerick, some old lad kept screaming 'Black Sabbath' and for 'Layla' to be played. He was about 60 and off his tits. Now that I think of it, it was probably Bobby Liebling.

Nothing strange really happens at most of the gigs I go to, as I tend to stay away from gigs that would attract idiots.

Being charged £2.60 for a hot, not warm, can of Tuborg in Leeds SU at a gig was fairly shocking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

i went to see Hatebreed a few years ago in a small venue
    and naturally i was in the middle of the Pit, and i slipped and about 20 people fell on top of me, it didn't really hurt coz i had so much drink in me

But any way
    the band stopped middle of the song to ask was everyone OK, and gave everyone that fell(and a few more) Hatebreed plectrums :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Dunno what prompted this but I am sitting what seemd like slow montion, I felt the homeless guys hand end up in my mouth. So naturally enough I puked my brains out but because I was in the pit the puke was going everywhere. Fun all round.

Anyone had anything similar happen to them?

lol, what the f**k prompted him to stick his hand in your mouth?
    was it intentional or just the way it was going?

& how did he get into gig.

great story!

strangest thing that I ever saw was a chap in a wheelchair being rammed into people that were in his way at the front of the stage, so he could get a better view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Years ago I went to a Beatless concert in the Olympic Ballroom.....there was a cloakroom......I queued up to get my coat and fell asleep in the queue. Woke up two hours later and the venue was closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This is a recent one so it's still fresh in the oul memory.

Was at the Misery Index gig in Whelans (Dublin) and the support bands were still on. Anyway, it was some screamcore crap from Canada that were half way through their set.

In walk two guys that could only be described as 'howayas'. Trainers, jeans, short hair, rings. So they take position beside me leaning against the sound desk at the back.

One was holding his jacket strangely when he arrived then pulled out two purple (dunno what flavour it is) west coast cooler and gave one to his mate. About ten fifteen minutes later I hear them talking to a metaller beside them and made out an odd question.....

"Is this the Daft Punk gig?"

The metaller only shrugged. I looked away and started to break my heart laughing.

So seeing that they didn't get the answer they were looking for (and I didn't want to be the one to tell them) they started to try and get the attention of the sound engineer as he was preparing for the next band to go on.

Realising they were indeed at the wrong gig (maybe it was the fact that ther were a lot of hairy men dressed in black?), they asked could they get their money back and promptly headed for the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

lol, what the f**k prompted him to stick his hand in your mouth?
    was it intentional or just the way it was going?

& how did he get into gig.

great story!

strangest thing that I ever saw was a chap in a wheelchair being rammed into people that were in his way at the front of the stage, so he could get a better view

To be honest I've no idea how he got in to the gig... his arms were flailing about everywhere though haha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

chin_grin wrote: »
    This is a recent one so it's still fresh in the oul memory.

Was at the Misery Index gig in Whelans (Dublin) and the support bands were still on. Anyway, it was some screamcore crap from Canada that were half way through their set.

In walk two guys that could only be described as 'howayas'. Trainers, jeans, short hair, rings. So they take position beside me leaning against the sound desk at the back.

One was holding his jacket strangely when he arrived then pulled out two purple (dunno what flavour it is) west coast cooler and gave one to his mate. About ten fifteen minutes later I hear them talking to a metaller beside them and made out an odd question.....

"Is this the Daft Punk gig?"

The metaller only shrugged. I looked away and started to break my heart laughing.

So seeing that they didn't get the answer they were looking for (and I didn't want to be the one to tell them) they started to try and get the attention of the sound engineer as he was preparing for the next band to go on.

Realising they were indeed at the wrong gig (maybe it was the fact that ther were a lot of hairy men dressed in black?), they asked could they get their money back and promptly headed for the door.
    I was at that gig, but didn't see them. I really wish I had now :(

DrumSteve wrote: »
    To be honest I've no idea how he got in to the gig... his arms were flailing about everywhere though haha

ha ha ha, cant get the image out of my head, all I can picture is one of the stage 12's from st clabberts - out of father ted, moshing with you guys, imagine where his manky homeless hands were before they ended up in your gob! scratching his manky ****e encrusted ass!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ha ha ha, cant get the image out of my head, all I can picture is one of the stage 12's from st clabberts - out of father ted, moshing with you guys, imagine where his manky homeless hands were before they ended up in your gob! scratching his manky ****e encrusted ass!!!

Thanks Bro.:p

Much appreciated.

Denny M wrote: »
    I was at that gig, but didn't see them. I really wish I had now :(

Was a great you-had-to-be-there moment all right!

Ah after remembering another.

The last time Putrefy played Fibbers. Whoever put that foam statue of Jack Daniel there should've known this would happen. Cue nearly getting a loaf from a crowd surfing whiskey founderer....er. :D

Also at another gig in Fibbers, Warpath were melting faces as they do. Lads started to get up on stage to dive. There's this weird fella who comes to gigs and I actually think he's a bit special as he just stares at you until you make eye contact and then comes over. He's renowned.

So this weirdo decides to dive. And I'm a few feet back watching. He's got the 'catchers' lined up two to the left and one big motherf*cker to the right. He jumps and the big guy immediately and purposefully sidesteps out of the way. Nearly choked on my pint.

• Advertisement

chin grin - was it the the big bearded chap or the bald guy???

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

AT Dissection '04, Watain (support) decided to have year old Ox blood in buckets and giant fans to blow the "Stench" of death onto the audience, someone up at the front puked all over the two security dudes, who were busy going around with air freshers very disgusting but funny none the less:D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

At Machine Head last year, fellas burning the fingers out of their gloves while they were still wearing them, another lad wearing nothing but shorts and a tshirt despite it being -5 degrees talking to himself and when the Monster Energy truck pulled up and gave everyone a free can, everyone taking one sip, realising it was rank, and throwing it on the ground leading to a river of Monster outside the Olympia.

Metallica '09, I was at the front of the crowd, surrounded by (annoying) Avenged fans. The non Avenged at the back of the pit were mocking them for their fanboyism. This lasted the entirety of their set, then, right before Metallica came on, they pointed at their wrist bands, flipped them off and moved towards the front. Maybe you had to be there, but it was hugely satisfying after spending an hour with a 14 year old girl screaming I LOVE YOU ZACHY! in my ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It was in 2002, when Eisregen played in Dortmund/Germany (my hometown). The power went off a couple of times, I guess 6 or 7 times. They decided to do some kind of unplugged gig, before some electrician who was in the audience, fixed the problem :cool:

And about Watain...wasn't it their singer, who used to have a bath in his own sh***? I remember some article 10 years ago in 'Rock Hard':D

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Lars1916 wrote: »

And about Watain...wasn't it their singer, who used to have a bath in his own sh***? I remember some article 10 years ago in 'Rock Hard':D

hahah yeah I remember hearing that, not sure how true it was, have seen them since and there latest endevour is incence dipped in god knows what but it fu*kin reeks!

Bald guy. You know him too eh? :D

yes......I have had the pleasure of making his acquaintance......

ha ha

harmless a enough...but I tend not to make eye contact with him too much, I hear he works in arnotts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    hahah yeah I remember hearing that, not sure how true it was, have seen them since and there latest endevour is incence dipped in god knows what but it fu*kin reeks!

Well...there was a picture of the guy in this magazine...it might have been some kind of dark and melted chocolate, he was lying in, but according to 'reliable sources' it was something else :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sorry, but I gotta laugh. There are many of these in Fibbers. Heck, I'm sometimes one of them :D :P :pac:

=-=

Weirdest thing would be probably the naked guy in the Hellfest moshpit: no-one would touch him, or go near him.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

My first proper concert was Metallica at the RDS in 2003 supported by Linkin Park and the Darkness. Metallica hit the stage, and I was up around the front of the crowd. I think they opened with battery. Whatever it was, the crowd loved it, and I still regard it as the most insane mosh pit I have ever been in.
    By the second song, I think it was Master of Puppets, I realise that somewhere in all the insanity I have lost one of my shoes. I never found it again, although a friend who was wedged in the crowd a fair distance away later claimed that he saw a shoe flying towards him. Unable to raise his arms (due to lack of space) the (my?) shoe hit him in the face :p.

On a less funny note, my friends and I were walking around earlier between bands and got talking to 2 girls who were pretty upset. Apparently some guy who was standing behind them during one of the support bands, can't remember which now, was pretty drunk. Being in the middle of the crowd, there were no toilets around and, well, he just pissed on one of the girls. That was f*cking shocking tbh.

So yeah, two odd incidents at my first gig which I haven't experienced in the many gigs since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dont know if this qualifies but........

I used to play drums in a metal band back in the 80s. One night we were doing a gig somewhere in Dalkey I think it was.

Anyway I was playing away and looking out at the crowd and saw a tall dark figure with a big mop of hair standing at the back in the shadows. He really stood out even though you couldnt make out his face in the light.

Anyway, we played the rest of the gig and when we were finished we headed over to the bar. The tall dark figure approached us and to my astonishment it was none other than Phil Lynott!! Aparently he frequented that establishment quite often. we had a few drinks with him, had a good chat, and posed for photos with him for punters in the pub!

Its one of my best memories from back then. Unfortunately I dont have any photos myself, just the memories, but its a night I will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Went to see The Darkness in 2006 in the Point, and it was virtually empty at the beginning of the evening, the first band playing were called the Ark. I was standing there watching them - mostly in disbelief - when the lead vocalist jumped onto an amp...realising it wasn't secured into the ground...and fell backwards. He landed on his arse, and kept singing, got up and decided to kick the Amp - which then hurdled towards the crowd and came crashing down on the head of some security guard. Thankfully, he was alright, but I doubt the vocalist apologised.

In 2003 I went to see a gig at the Ambassador, but I can't remember which one it was, might have been Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Shadow's Fall and God Forbid. Anyway I'm heading for a bus at the end of O Connell St with two mates and just past the GPO (literally at the turn for Grafton Arcade) these guys jump out, about 6 of them, 2 of which put their hands up and ask myself and a mate to stand back while the other four proceed to kick the **** through my other mate.

This happened all within about 30 seconds, after which they helped him up, and then walked away. Now, when I say he was a friend, he was more a friend of a friend and I'd only met him the week before. I later found he'd known them, as they kept saying, you know what this is for during the beating. They took nothing, asked for nothing, and he was the type that just shrugged the whole thing off....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

After seeing Ash in the Ambassador, was talking to the support band outside. Can't remember their name but I enjoyed them. Anyway, one of the roadie guys for them went to leave for a pub, went across the road but got flattened by a taxi. Was quite scary and weird as I turned around to see him lifted off the ground and flying through the air. All was ok in the end.

One of the band members was one of the victims (although not killed) of a stabbing in bray years ago too:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

adox wrote: »
    Dont know if this qualifies but........

I used to play drums in a metal band back in the 80s.
    which band adox? bet i've seen ya!

only thing that comes to mind is a gig i ended up in for a while in killarney at a harley meet thingy, that crowd Aslan were playing so wasn't there long.

anyways, we were standing there in wonderment at the rear of the crowd when in came two lads in those electric mobility chairs, you know the ones, i think one of the poor lads was steering with a straw.

so we make a hole and urge the lads into a better viewing position in front of us.

well a minute or two passed and then the band played one of their more lucrative offerings and i get a nudge from my now shaking buddy,

the lads were well into it and were flashing their indicators to the music:D

fair play to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

which band adox? bet i've seen ya!
    !

Was a band called Kruger, a five piece with twin lead guitar. Most of our gigs in Dublin were in the Ivy Room, the Baggot Inn etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

anyone remember the night (on television obviously) when there was some sort of boyband type concert on tv (maybe an mtv thing) and for some reason they had Iggy Pop doing a set. At some point the Igg did his usual dive out into the audience routine except that this audience was made up mostly of pre-teens and kids who'd never heard of Iggy Pop. The kids did the logical thing when a big scary man throws himself at them and dodged out of the way. Iggy landed on his face on the floor. The band kept playing while a very dazed and confused Iggy was helped back onto the stage and the security helped him put one of his shoes back on that had come off when he slapped on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

AC/DC at Punchestown 28th June last year, some guy walked right by us completely naked, big wtf moment.

This ones not metal or rock, but I want to tell it anyway.

Public Enemy 2008: I saw a middle aged, balding midget trying to start a fight with a man that was probably around 6'10" or so, he was much taller than the rest of the crowd. The tall guy was at the front having a good time, and the midget was unlucky enough to get stuck behind him, was none too happy about it and well, started letting his anger out at the tall guy. Nothing came of it, the situation diffused by itself and the tall guy went away I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

old gregg wrote: »
    anyone remember the night (on television obviously) when there was some sort of boyband type concert on tv (maybe an mtv thing) and for some reason they had Iggy Pop doing a set. At some point the Igg did his usual dive out into the audience routine except that this audience was made up mostly of pre-teens and kids who'd never heard of Iggy Pop. The kids did the logical thing when a big scary man throws himself at them and dodged out of the way. Iggy landed on his face on the floor. The band kept playing while a very dazed and confused Iggy was helped back onto the stage and the security helped him put one of his shoes back on that had come off when he slapped on the floor.

If im not mistaken that was MTV Europe Music Awards and i think it was in dublin that year!! cos Ronan Keating presented it! I dont know how i remember that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

old gregg wrote: »

I remember seeing that! I've a feeling it was the meteor awards in the point. Not sure why myself & few of my mates were watching it but it made it worthwhile! :)
    If im not mistaken that was MTV Europe Music Awards...

Might stand corrected actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

If im not mistaken that was MTV Europe Music Awards and i think it was in dublin that year!! cos Ronan Keating presented it! I dont know how i remember that tbh

Funny enough, I remember this because Marilyn Manson showed up at the end and everybody was going on about his music in the papers at the time...

For those who have forgotten....(btw the sound is so bad that someone can actually be heard saying "Marilyn Manson" before he announced it)

and just in case you forgot what caused the biggest problems that year

Advertisement