Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Strangest Thing To Happen To You/You've Seen At A Metal/Rock Gig?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I was at dragonforce a few years ago in the ambassador with turisas supporting. We were in the seated area upstairs and in the same row as us there were about 3 14 year old guys in really bad body paint, supposed to look like turisas. So anyway turisas came on and the guys start going mental, trying to mosh with 3 people in a seated area. Then they just left halfway through turisas' set. Really weird :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Oddest thing i've seen would probably be at Apocalyptica in the Netherlands.

There was a guy about 20ish standing beside me the whole gig, he stood there with his eyes closed not moving for the entire gig muttering away to himself. About 4/5 songs from the end of the gig he gets down on his knees in the middle of the crowd and puts his hands up in front of himself like he's praying - stays like that for a song or two, gets back to his original position for another song and then walks out the door.

Couldnt work out what he was at for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Completely unrelated but had to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

c - 13 wrote: »
    Couldnt work out what he was at for the duration.

He was probably on drugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

He was probably on drugs

Yeah did cross my mind alright. He seemed fairly sober when he opened his eyes and walked towards the exit though.

• Advertisement

c - 13 wrote: »
    Yeah did cross my mind alright. He seemed fairly sober when he opened his eyes and walked towards the exit though.

Interesting, maybe for him the band was like going to Mass, and he was just leaving after Communion to avoid the car park rush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭fruitbats

I was at Iron Maiden in the O2 last year, seated upstairs and some drunken English auld lad in his 60s stumbled into me spilling his whole pint all over me. It didn’t bother me much, ( Just took the t-shirt off and bought a maiden one) My younger brother was going mad as it was his first proper gig and he didn’t know about what goes on at gigs.

So anyway 15-20 minutes later the auld lads mate grabs the security and gets him kicked out. We saw him being lead out past us, he had pissed and **** himself, it had stained right through his clothes front and back- Worst state i’ve ever seen anybody at a gig and Maiden haddened even started. No self-respect, what ever happened to getting drunk, falling asleep and puking all over yourself….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

fruitbats wrote: »
    I was at Iron Maiden in the O2 last year, seated upstairs and some drunken English auld lad in his 60s stumbled into me spilling his whole pint all over me. It didn’t bother me much, ( Just took the t-shirt off and bought a maiden one) My younger brother was going mad as it was his first proper gig and he didn’t know about what goes on at gigs.

So anyway 15-20 minutes later the auld lads mate grabs the security and gets him kicked out. We saw him being lead out past us, he had pissed and **** himself, it had stained right through his clothes front and back- Worst state i’ve ever seen anybody at a gig and Maiden haddened even started. No self-respect, what ever happened to getting drunk, falling asleep and puking all over yourself….

Sounds like a decent evening for all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

so many....must have a think of a few of the weirder moments...

one that springs to mind was Marilyn Manson supporting Maiden in the RDS - just standing watching and a boot goes flying up at the stage, and smacks him in the side of the head :-)
    amazing shot, I'm sure it was barely travelling when it hit him, but it hit him all the same, I'm not one to condone throwing **** at bands - but it was funny....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Know a guy whose name got called out on stage at Oasis 95 in Slane. He wasn't at the gig though.

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »
    Know a guy whose name got called out on stage at Oasis 95 in Slane. He wasn't at the gig though.

The Gallagher brothers obviously know how to hold a grudge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Probably the funniest thing i've ever seen at a gig is the Biohazard mini-riot i've referenced on Boards a few times. Biohazard were playing a show at the Tivoli in 1994 in support of the 'State of the World Address' album. They took to the stage and ripped into heir set. There appeared to be something going on between the band and the bouncers,the band seemingly unimpressed with the bouncers rough treatment of the crowd. I seem to remember some lads with long hair being pulled by the hair over the rail.

More verbals were exchanged before Evan Seinfeld(i think) launched a size ten boot at one of the bouncers heads. The bouncers hopped on stage and a fight broke out between band and bouncers. Cue the crowd surging onstage to help the band out(and kick a few bouncers too!).

I stood back in front of the sound desk and sparked up a smoke and watched it all unfold. 2 and a half songs,15 minutes and a mini riot,LEGENDS!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

saw Marilyn Manson headline a festival in Italy in 1999, and he opened his ass to the camera. He got banned from Italy after it. There was uproar....

At the same festival, I remember seeing the bass player for Skunk Anansie a few feet away from me, taking photos of the band on before them. I think it was Bush who were on before them. Anyways, there he is taking snaps, and about an hour later, he is up on stage rockin out. That was pretty cool...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Manson seems to bring out the best in people, huh?
    I remember him getting hit with a glow stick at the Leeds/Reading so he turned 180 and shoved it right up his own ass before tossing it into the crowd. Awesome.
    Does anyone remember Bryan Adams at Feile drinking out of a big glass bottle at the edge of the stage between each song and then fecking his microphone stand into the crowd? How bizarre is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭raz86

i was at that metallica 04 gig as well. the slipknot mosh pits were seriously violent. a pit opened up right in front of myself and my friends and i saw a guy take an awful dig to his face, he lost most of his front teeth. there was a lot of blood and vomit! and shoe throwing at the lostprophets. but a really good gig otherwise. the metallica 03 gig was much less eventful. everyone was very well behaved. i think it was slipknots fault...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Jaysus, i'm starting to think all the gigs I've been to were very quiet!

A few things do come to mind though, not necessarily rock/metal events.

Outside a Stiff Little Fingers gig mid 1990's I saw a (admittedly drunk) punk stood there crying because 'that's not the band I saw in 1979!!' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

I guess having some guy pee on me at the Slipknot concert where they headlined the RDS was fairly strange.

Seeing a guy crowd-surfing at Hellfest wearing a Borat mankini and a helmet with a dildo strapped to it tops that though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Oh wait! Has just come to me.

The last time Bloodhound Gang were over playing in Whelans. Of course I could write a thesis about the weird sh*t that went on at that gig.

Namely Evil Jarred dragging a stool across the stage hooked by wire to his penis while a jug of (what looked like) jaeger was on it.

I'm pretty sure this was at the end cos I remember the house lights coming up and I had an eyeful. Girl got up on the table that's at the centre of the room and gets her bewbs out. With no one on stage. Cue a bunch of lads getting their mobile cameras a flashin'.

No, I wasn't one of them. <cof> I swear!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

chin_grin wrote: »
    No, I wasn't one of them. <cof> I swear!
    Evidence or it didn't happen.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Evidence or it didn't happen.:D

Nah I didn't take any. I gawked for less than a minute, but then promptly thought "Wow! Daddeh must be soooooo proud!" and continued walking out. It's the oul fella in me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Remember it was 2005, went to see Slayer supported by Mastodon at the Ambassador. Got talking to the Mastodon guys and a few Slayer roadies (all nice dudes btw) and we notice a building across the road was on fire. The Fire Brigade came and extinguished it but while this was happening i turn to Mastodon and the Slayer roadies and jest "Slayer's presence is so evil that near by buildings are catching fire!". We all had a little chuckle but Brent Hines just looks at me in the eyes very intensely, sticks up the devil horns and gives a "**** yea" look and nod.

Strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I was talking to the Mastodon guys outside that Slayer gig for a while too. Sound lads even though at the time I only knew a handful of Mastodon songs. I was only 16/17 at the time and myself and a mate used fake IDs to get in. Walked in and had a look around the standing area and quickly realised that pretty much everyone was much older and bigger than us! Great gig though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

raz86 wrote: »
    i was at that metallica 04 gig as well. the slipknot mosh pits were seriously violent. a pit opened up right in front of myself and my friends and i saw a guy take an awful dig to his face, he lost most of his front teeth. there was a lot of blood and vomit! and shoe throwing at the lostprophets. but a really good gig otherwise. the metallica 03 gig was much less eventful. everyone was very well behaved. i think it was slipknots fault...:rolleyes:
    I saw some mental pits at the metallica '04 gig. Some fella being carried out of the pit before the first chorus of creeping death. Another girl crowd surfing for seek and destroy and a load of people were'nt looking and didnt see her coming, no one caught her and she went straight down on her neck. Took a fair slap but got back up to a cheer and went off crowd surfing again the lunatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Soulfly '09 in the Academy.
    Standin beside a lad on the balcony above the right hand side of the stage. He was off his head to say the least, starts lunging back and forth as if to gain momentum for a jump.. sure doesnt he do it in the end. Lands on the side of the stage in a heap, stands up.. fixes his cap and is promptly gored by two security lads.

Also the Academy, Sepultura'10.
    A lad dressed like a hipster, with those real big shades.. tight jeans, hi top shoes etc. dancin in front of the bar upstairs as if hes at a rave(remember, its sep) ..collapses, all the lads buyin their pints turn and have a look, decide its nothing interesting and turn back around. He picked himself up eventually and wandered off.. weird enough I would say.

Not strange but epic. Andrews Lane Theatre '10. Garcia Plays Kyuss.
    John starts playing some of his own material, a lot of people decide theyre not interested (myself included) and head out for a smoke. I had only sparked up when we could hear the intro riff of Gardenia, cue every single punter drop the smoke and pile back into the venue. That was nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

TangyZizzle--I was at that Garcia plays Kyuss gig at ALT---my mates from Belfast were the warm-up band Howlin Widow.Hearing the whole crowd sing all the words to Thumb made the hair on back of my neck stand up.followed Kyuss from the very start but never got to see them live.

seen that many gigs I'll have to trawl thru the memories.Great idea for a thread OP and the homeless fellas hand in yer gob near had me crying real tears ha

One that came to mind straight away was jan 31st 1987(just went and checked the ticket stub).the gig was Raven,Slayer and W.A.S.P at the Tower theatre in Upper Darby PA.---with wasp headlining.slayer had just released Reign in blood and were touring it.Me and the cousin were just mentioning about how evil this slayer band were when this girl sitting in front of us turned around with this look thru you stare in her eyes and said matter of factly "Satan is master and the Master is King" and turned back around to enjoy the gig.Me and cuz just looked at each other like WTF did that just happen.How did she even hear us talking over the f*ckin awesome racket that was taking place mere yards away?....just one that always stays with us.

I saw some mental pits at the metallica '04 gig. Some fella being carried out of the pit before the first chorus of creeping death. Another girl crowd surfing for seek and destroy and a load of people were'nt looking and didnt see her coming, no one caught her and she went straight down on her neck. Took a fair slap but got back up to a cheer and went off crowd surfing again the lunatic

I must have missed all this, I've been to all these gigs you guys have mentioned about Metallica, and been in the pit - and even later complemented the fans on it being some of the quietest and most respectful Metal crowds I've seen in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I must have missed all this, I've been to all these gigs you guys have mentioned about Metallica, and been in the pit - and even later complemented the fans on it being some of the quietest and most respectful Metal crowds I've seen in Dublin
    The last 2 Metallica gigs were fairly tame in the pit, '03 i was at the front barrier outside the pit and it was insane. Iv never experienced anything like the '03 and '04 metallica gigs but it seemed to be in parts of the pit, we went to a quieter part nearer the back after a couple of songs and it was grand. It was in parts up front where everyone was squashed in and mosh pits breaking out where it was a bit more intense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

Munich '89 at R.E.M. concert. All the band members decide to swap instruments. Michael Stipe whilst playing guitar decides he'll chuck it up in the air and catch it......the neck hits him square on the face and knocks him to the floor. He gets up with blood pumping from just above his eye!! Fair play he just carried on...

Advertisement