Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL data manipulation

Options
  • 11-01-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

I have a SQL statement, INSERT INTO.. (SELECT FROM...) which transfers information between two tables. Issue I have is that in the Source table the VAT column contains data in the format .21, .135 etc but in the target column I want the data in the format 21, 13.5 or (21.00, 13.50) etc.

Both Source & Target columns are numeric, I've attempted to look at this in two ways;

Can I format the data correctly as part of the INSERT INTO statement or
    Can I format the data post import with an UPDATE statement.

Haven't come up with a solution either way. Is this possible with the limited amount of built in SQL (2008) functions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Can you not just add another statement to run afterwards:

UPDATE newtable set VAT = VAT * 100

??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

komodosp wrote: »
    Can you not just add another statement to run afterwards:

UPDATE newtable set VAT = VAT * 100

??

Ah FFS!!! Can't see the wood from the tress - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I have a SQL statement, INSERT INTO.. (SELECT FROM...) which transfers information between two tables. Issue I have is that in the Source table the VAT column contains data in the format .21, .135 etc but in the target column I want the data in the format 21, 13.5 or (21.00, 13.50) etc.

Both Source & Target columns are numeric, I've attempted to look at this in two ways;

Can I format the data correctly as part of the INSERT INTO statement or
    Can I format the data post import with an UPDATE statement.

Haven't come up with a solution either way. Is this possible with the limited amount of built in SQL (2008) functions?

Ahhhhh multiply by 100 as your inserting...
    INSERT
       TableA
       (VAT)
    SELECT 
       VAT * 100 
    FROM 
       TableB

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

Haven't come up with a solution either way. Is this possible with the limited amount of built in SQL Server (2008) functions?

FYP
    Sorry, Gets my goat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Is this possible with the limited amount of built in SQL (2008) functions

what sort of statement is this? SQL 2008 most likely has all the statements you will ever need.
    What exactly can't you do in SQL 2008 that you can do in the other databases that you have extensive experience of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

amen wrote: »
    what sort of statement is this? SQL 2008 most likely has all the statements you will ever need.
    What exactly can't you do in SQL 2008 that you can do in the other databases that you have extensive experience of?

Problem is solved (see above) and was very basic. Until I saw the light I thought I would have to use string function to find the decimal point and then perform a calculation.

Advertisement