Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The David McSavage appreciation thread!

• 11-01-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

Probably the funniest Irish comedian around at the moment. Anyone see 'The Savage Eye' last night? Very funny!

His new series is on RTE2 on Monday nights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

in before moved to cool and funny videos

Funny clip though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

*cocks shotgun*

You best on move outta here now, boy, y'hear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

As a standup he's a bit meh, but I like The Savage Eye.

Mick The Bull Daly and Presdient Robinson and her "housebound" leave me in stitches! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

HE FIXED THE ROAD!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Probably the funniest Irish comedian around at the moment. Anyone see 'The Savage Eye' last night? Very funny!

His new series is on RTE2 on Monday nights.

Yeah saw it last night and it did make me laugh ,especially the bit with the garda in templemore.It's about time someone in Irish comedy was funny instead of these jumped up sarcastic comedians like Ed Byrne ,Andrew Maxwell ,Tommy Tiernan etc..they're not funny just sarcastic idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The court opera sketch last night was good. The rest was drivel.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    *cocks shotgun*

You best on move outta here now, boy, y'hear?

Ill knock 3 shades of ****e outta ya:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

prinz wrote: »
    The court opera sketch last night was good. The rest was drivel.

Realistic too! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Great clip :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

absolutely brilliant show last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I liked seeing him outside Stephen's Green shopping centre at the top of Grafton St busking with the guitar just taking the pi$$ out of passers by.

I've recorded Savage Eye, looking forward to watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Of all the comedians I've ever seen live, David McSavage is the only one I would ever wish a slow painful death to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Don't particularly like him but the show, by Irish standards, is superb. Can't think of anything RTE have produced that would come close to it. My only two objections are giving a platform to the likes of Eoghan Harris and Paul Williams, and the broader problem of middle class comedians doing impersonations of what they think working class people are like. Overall it's excellent though. Great use of traditional and modern themes throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Hooked

I know McSavage is a bit like "Marmite" - but I have to say I loved series one of the Savage Eye. He played a small gig upstairs in the Laughing Loft in Limerick a few months back and 4 of us braved the front row... One of the best laughs I've EVER had. And I used to live in Kilkenny and regularly attend the cats laughs.

My brother (big bloke, mad red beard) got up to hit the loo mid gig, and McSavage immediately went to "The Mountain Man" song. Had us in stitches. We spoke to him after the gig - and he's a really sound bloke.

Needless to say - we were all swapping texts during last nights show. Not everyone's cup of tea I know... but I can't wait till next Monday's installment...

Go on now country boy... I'll ride ya later! :D

Apparently he left this message on the answering machine of the Sugar Club a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Best TV Comedy I've ever seen from RTE in the last 10 years.

Fast, slick and witty.

Well Done DMcS and crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Just watched it on the dvr there and really, really liked it. Didn't even know that the show was on and someone else recorded it, but I laughed my arse off.

I'll be watching from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

Can't think of a funnier RTE produced comedy sketch show - brilliant

paul75 wrote: »
    Can't think of a funny RTE produced comedy sketch show

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paul75

stimpson wrote: »
    Of all the comedians I've ever seen live, David McSavage is the only one I would ever wish a slow painful death to.

I'm guessing you were one of his victims at his gig?

paul75 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you were one of his victims at his gig?

If by "victim" you mean someone who paid for a ticket.

25 quid to see him attempt to insult a female member of the audience. In fairness, she was pretty feisty and took him to pieces. Almost made it worth the price of admission to see him speechless. I guess he's not used to women that answer back.

Admittedly, this nearly made me laugh:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

The Savage Eye was extremely funny last week.
    Could see Python and Brass Eye influences.

It better be as good tonight.
    Otherwise it's back to calling him a ****! :pac:

stimpson wrote: »

I supported him last year and he was one of the most unpleasant people I have ever come across. Were he in the least bit funny it may be forgivable but when you take his lack of comedic ability coupled with the fact that he's a douche bag it's hard to have any sympathy for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I have a soft spot for McSavage. Actually think he has the talent to be a very good satirist.

However, as stand up? Saw a heckler once in the International take him apart while he was on stage. Was not able to deal with it at all. Surprising, considering he based a lot of his street routine on heckling passers by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I supported him last year and he was one of the most unpleasant people I have ever come across. Were he in the least bit funny it may be forgivable but when you take his lack of comedic ability coupled with the fact that he's a douche bag it's hard to have any sympathy for him.

Lose da hattitude! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He seems to have a fair bit of comic ability in fairness?
    Every other comedian who gets a show makes a balls of it. Savage eye is one of the finest.

• Advertisement

He seems to have a fair bit of comic ability in fairness?
    Every other comedian who gets a show makes a balls of it. Savage eye is one of the finest.

Well he has been stealing sketches from the comedy greats.

Advertisement