Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The David McSavage appreciation thread!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

stimpson wrote: »
    Well he has been stealing sketches for the comedy greats.
    Ah that's a little bitter now, don't ya think?
    There has never been as good a satire on RTE TV in a long time, possibly ever. Also as I said before, Irish comedians have by RTE's own words been given a free run on the station of late, and not one of them has been able to come up anything have decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

I have seen him in wild form on the street but was disappointed with his first series of the savage eye.

The new series is a league apart, well written, hard hitting, truly funny with moments of shear brilliance. The song in the court room was one of the best crescendos to a show Ive seen.

I saw it in him years ago, great to see it come out on screen.

Up there with anything Channel 4 is offering...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Ah that's a little bitter now, don't ya think?
    There has never been as good a satire on RTE TV in a long time, possibly ever. Also as I said before, Irish comedians have by RTE's own words been given a free run on the station of late, and not one of them has been able to come up anything have decent.

That's because RTE is shite. He stole a sketch directly from Not the Nine O'Clock News. And he throws in a few quirky bits to make him seem like Chris Morris. It really is awful derivative shit but he gets away with it because it's RTE and people have low expectations.

And as for decent Irish comedy, the modest adventures of David O'Doherty was well scripted, witty and most importantly original. Perhaps if he was the son of a FF minister he might have gotten a second series.

That's because RTE is shite. He stole a sketch directly from Not the Nine O'Clock News. And he throws in a few quirky bits to make him seem like Chris Morris. It really is awful derivative shit but he gets away with it because it's RTE and people have low expectations.

And as for decent Irish comedy, the modest adventures of David O'Doherty was well scripted, witty and most importantly original. Perhaps if he was the son of a FF minister he might have gotten a second series.

Ah now! If it was a satire on any other country it would walk onto their national TV also. I enjoyed david o doherty's show, but it wasn't a patch on the savage eye. Chris morris is my favourite satirist, and I grew up watching NT9O'CN, and i (and my friends) all belly laugh like f** watching the savage eye every week. Collery and mcmurrow are also excellent in the show and deserve credit too.
    The savage eye is top class satire.

David McSavage is not funny in any way.

• Advertisement

ah here......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

his face is pretty funny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The savage eye is top class satire.

It's not really. A couple of good sketches and a whole lot of repetitive crap that might have raised a laugh the first time around. It's mediocre stuff.

ah here......

His "shows" (which is his ****ty way of masking the fact that he is practically begging in temple bar/grafton street) is just bullying random people walking past with the same insults (oh he looks like a knacker/paedo/junkie) trying to be "outrageous" and horrifically bad attempts at songs . It's not even remotely funny. It is stale and hasnt changed in years.

His television show is better than last year.

But that is like saying that AIDS is better than Cancer.

His "shows" (which is his ****ty way of masking the fact that he is practically begging in temple bar/grafton street) is just bullying random people walking past with the same insults (oh he looks like a knacker/paedo/junkie) trying to be "outrageous" and horrifically bad attempts at songs . It's not even remotely funny. It is stale and hasnt changed in years.

His television show is better than last year.

But that is like saying that AIDS is better than Cancer.

Outrageous? Never. He is a comic of subtle genius:

http://www.mulley.net/2008/03/31/david-mcsavage-threatens-rape-to-shut-up-heckler-at-comedy-gig/

• Advertisement

seemed to go down well!
    it was the funniest thing the audience had seen all night from a lacklustre combination of so-called ‘new talent’, who had all been doing stand-up for at least two years.

seemed to go down well!

Do you not understand sarcasm? This was the full quote:
    McSavage cited this as being “uncool” and told Aidan that it was sad “that he couldn’t even set up his own comedy club”, before telling the crowd and Aidan to “go fuck themselves” while walking off.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing is that it was the funniest thing the audience had seen all night from a lacklustre combination of so-called ‘new talent’, who had all been doing stand-up for at least two years.

Do you not understand sarcasm? This was the full quote:
    do you understand comedy?

do you understand comedy?

Excellent comeback. Ever considered a career in stand-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I always thought he was a complete dick and comes across as a complete dick whenever he was on the late late. BUT anything i have seen of the savage eye i thought has been funny. That garda sketch is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I always thought he was a complete dick and comes across as a complete dick whenever he was on the late late. BUT anything i have seen of the savage eye i thought has been funny. That garda sketch is very good.
    Yes this, but I thought he was a d!ck from seeing him around Temple Bar and Grafton St years ago. And also from talking to him on boards and on his guestbook years ago about something I saw and disapproved of. Most of the posts about it were deleted so it's probably not worth looking. Hm I'm rambling.

Anyway, he always seemed like an unfunny arsehole. But the Savage Eye is really good - very funny and very clever.

Well constructed, sharp, funny commentary on society: From someone I associated with infantile bullying of individuals. Quite a surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

Greatest load of tripe of RTE and, imo, that is a station full of tripe:D

Whenever I see him on the screen, I just want to smash the screen to bits.. F**K he annoys me.

My two cents worth.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

He's been throwing the same jokes at pedestrians around the country for years. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten his ass kicked for making fun of the wrong person.

I think the Savage Eye is the only good thing he's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

TheoBoone wrote: »
    He's been throwing the same jokes at pedestrians around the country for years. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten his ass kicked for making fun of the wrong person.

It's happened a few times over the years as far as I'm aware.

He doesn't do street performance any more I don't think.

He doesn't do street performance any more I don't think.

You require talent to be a street performer. What he was doing is known as begging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 fbyrne666

He had a team of writers behind him in the Savage Eye, that he gave no credit to. He has an inflated ego and thrives on putting everyone around him down so he can feel better about himself. He slags off everyone who helped him out, such as Pat Kenny. The only thing Pat Kenny is guilty of is giving him a major break warming up the late late show audience and he repaid him by slagging him off. Twat.
    Age has made him bitter and I don't think he's funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

You're not bitter yourself by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fbyrne666

omahaid wrote: »
    You're not bitter yourself by any chance?

I'm entitled to my opinion which is different to yours. Get out your autograph book, son.

Don't know if someone with one of the most privileged upbringings, from one of the best connected families in the country is really the right person to be a satirist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭briany

fbyrne666 wrote: »
    He slags off everyone who helped him out, such as Pat Kenny. The only thing Pat Kenny is guilty of is giving him a major break warming up the late late show audience and he repaid him by slagging him off. Twat.

If you're talking about the impersonation he did of Kenny on the Savage Eye, this is not something so out of line. Leigh Francis did the same kind of lampooning of Davina McCall and she plucked him right out of obscurity. She seemed to take it in good fun, though. Maybe Kenny was able to do the same. Pat's seen his share of vitriol from the viewing and listening public, so I wouldn't say one lampooning is the most of his worries.

Advertisement