Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproofing your home!

• 11-01-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hey!

Just wondering if anyone here has gone down the road of soundproofing their apartment or home? If so did it work and would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd say soundproofing a house (side walls) would be easier than sound proofing an apartment (roof and floor).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

How much would it cost for say a room 10x16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Any ideas on soundproofing a semi-d?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Maybe one of the Mods might oblige and move this over to the DIY section in Garden and Homes.

We may get a few more answers overthere.

Many thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Moved from Accommodation & Property. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Accoustic slab,then roll of cork board,layer of black rubberised accoustic paint,then insulated plaster board and final skim coat.

Job done and not a sound can be heard from the neighbours or their loud TV and kids.Also hold the heat in the house very very well,but I do also have the house completely internally insulated aswell.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭swampgas

Sound-proofing isn't easy, especially for lower frequencies (bass). And it's the thump thump thump of bass which people find most irritating.

Basically you need lots of mass (dense heavy material) to block bass.

There are some very good books on building your own (amateur) sound recording studio which have loads of info on this subject - maybe something to check out.

The classic issue is a stud wall - you can put all the rockwool or fibreglass you want between the battens, the bass comes through the battens themselves.

If you really want something sound-proof - like say you want to practice with drums and electric guitar without upsetting the neighbours - you really need to know what you're doing.

I built a small recording studio which was very sound-proof, but it took a lot of planning, materials and work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

paddy147 wrote: »
    Accoustic slab,then roll of cork board,layer of black rubberised accoustic paint,then insulated plaster board and final skim coat.

Job done and not a sound can be heard from the neighbours or their loud TV and kids.Also hold the heat in the house very very well,but I do also have the house completely internally insulated aswell.:)

Is that expensive stuff? How thick is a buildup like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Prenderb wrote: »
    Is that expensive stuff? How thick is a buildup like that?

Its expensive if doing a house internally with this method.

But the payback is brilliant...................as in peace and quiet.Oh and warmth too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Thats for all the replies.

I am hoping to get my home re decorated soon so may get the soundproofing done then. I am gonna research it the weekend.

Thanks again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭swampgas

Picked up the latest Collins DIY book over the weekend - it has a section on sound-proofing rooms.

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/64494/collins-complete-diy-manual-new-edition-albert-jackson-david-day-9780007425952

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

Would I be correct in saying that the method mentioned above would only help with airborne noise. If your problem is loud bass, people walking on creaking floorboards or headboards banging against the wall etc... the above method may not help a lot as these are the result of a mechanical connection between properties. The sound is coming through the floors joists and walls. Whereas if it was voices or radio/tv the above method would help. I'm open to correction on this.
    A

Advertisement