Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Jerseys in Oz. Why?

Options
  • 11-01-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

Whats the deal with loads of Irish people over here wearing their GAA jerseys everywhere? Surely going to live in a new country is an opportunity to interact with the locals and immerse yourself in the culture of that country. I havent seen a single person from another country wear their sports jerseys here. Why do the Irish have to do it? Is it a case of people trying to remind everybody where they are from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

It's so they dont think we are English...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Maybe its a way of attracting fellow countrymen/women,Could be useful if your by your own and looking for fellow Irish people,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

realies wrote: »
    Maybe its a way of attracting fellow countrymen/women,Could be useful if your by your own and looking for fellow Irish people,

If meeting Irish people in Oz is your thing, just go to an Irish bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

04072511 wrote: »
    . I havent seen a single person from another country wear their sports jerseys here.

Oh really.

I see many POMs wearing English football club jerseys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Oh really.

I see many POMs wearing English football club jerseys.

Half those people are probably Irish aswell ;)

To be honest havent seen too much of them to be honest, except when the Barmy Army were in town for the cricket. Certainly havent seen anybody from Spain, Sweden, France etc wearing jerseys from their countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Whats the story with Irish people heading off to Australia and then logging on to an Irish chat forum.

Surely going to live in a new country is an opportunity to interact with the locals and immerse yourself in the culture of that country.

Why would you not just interact on a local Australian forum, instead of going to an Irish forum, trying to interact with other Irish people living in Australia, which is what Irish people wearing GAA jerseys in Australia are also trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Because they are clothes and they probably wore them here aswell... Your just noticing them because your not in ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Closed - you already opened an AH thread, you can troll there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement