Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing Walnut

Options
  • 11-01-2011 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Folks, just got a quote for a kitchen!. Any trade companies out there where I might source A+ Grade European Walnut. Dimensions are
    4 X 4000X650
    1 X 3000X1240

any advice.

tred

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

tred wrote: »
    Folks, just got a quote for a kitchen!. Any trade companies out there where I might source A+ Grade European Walnut. Dimensions are
    4 X 4000X650
    1 X 3000X1240

any advice.

tred
    For a top? Abbey Woods and Noyeks do that sort of stuff it is laminated in small blocks. Other than that you would have to buy rough sawn and have it planed all round jointed and then machined on a cnc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

For a top? Abbey Woods and Noyeks do that sort of stuff it is laminated in small blocks. Other than that you would have to buy rough sawn and have it planed all round jointed and then machined on a cnc

I think the kitchen crew supply it rough, but ill check it today.....Thanks for this.

Just thinking about this yosemite. So the stuff they say there providing to me above, is that actually planks, that are basically glued and jointed together??...
    There saying there delivering above "rough"..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Surely they dont mean rough planks. By rough i imagine that they mean the worktop is glued up but does not have a finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

are you looking for kitchen worktops or planks,planks come rough meaning they have to be plained and sanded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Haven't seen the ones mentioned,but usually solid wood counter tops are as yosemite_sam said,small blocks glued together or say 1'' strips glued. It's done for stability, a very large chunk 2' wide would be be prone to warp in a hot kitchen. Not saying it can't got thought,just haven't seen them.

Surely they dont mean rough planks. By rough i imagine that they mean the worktop is glued up but does not have a finish.

I think this is it. There not explaining it properly to me i guess!. You would imagine it has to be sanded and plained level after gluing....
    Any good laminates i wonder wiht a similar effect :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Solid wallnut (european wallnut) is very expensive.

American Wallnut is alot cheaper to buy from kitchen companies.

The kitchen companies are now supplying a new lamminated wallnut effect work top that is square edges on all sides,its lamminated on all edges too,even underneath.
    Its called "Topshape".

It can be had in wallnut colour/effect.

Topshape comes in many sizes and shapes,and also in lengths of 4 meters,650mm wide and 40mm thick.Perfect for kitchen worktops.

You cant tell the difference between it and reall wallnut when standing beside the 2,and the "topshape" is alot cheaper too.

Its stain,moisture,heat and impact resistant.

Its far more supperior to the old/normal type of veneered/formica worktops.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

Is this a typical worktop made of hevea blocks and stained to 'take on' the appearance of more expensive timber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

You have to remember if your buying walnut rough. there is a serious amount of waste. the walnut that is coming into ireland at the moment is nothing on what it ued to be. there is a heavy wany edge on most planks and a lot more white streaking down through it. By the time this is planed off,This alone adds a lot to the price of a solid top. price round a few places and just compare see what the differences are then you'll know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

'Tred' if walnut trim is all that is required, Richard Veneers in the UK (London) should be able to help. I bought walnut and birdseye maple veneers from them around nine years back (don't know if they still trade under that name). The walnut was very cheap. Richards used supply the veneer for Rover cars and when the trim line suddenly ended they were left with a warehouse of it.

I agree with others that buying rough walnut is a waste of money. Without the equipment to dimension the timber, you facing hardship and frustration. An Italian furniture manufacturer I have had dealings with produces items in genuine walnut and in walnut-stained poplar. The poplar is less than half the price.

Alternatively you could ask around for a price on an iroko work top (genuine teak is not readily obtainable) - more durable than walnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

1chippy wrote: »
    You have to remember if your buying walnut rough. there is a serious amount of waste. the walnut that is coming into ireland at the moment is nothing on what it ued to be. there is a heavy wany edge on most planks and a lot more white streaking down through it. By the time this is planed off,This alone adds a lot to the price of a solid top. price round a few places and just compare see what the differences are then you'll know.
    He would have to go and pick from the timber yard, if you leave it to the supplier they'll send out any old junk. Pieces with knots the size of your hand, all for top dollar.

Advertisement