Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worlds fattest man to sue

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I'd imagine more along the lines of psychologists and support

Well this is the general attitude taken & and our population has the second highest obesity rate in the EU (23.5%)second only to the UK(25%)

Obesity affects us all whether you realise it or not. Doctor couldn't get to your granny because he had to help the 40 year old obese man's heart restart? Oh if only someone insulted him enough to lose weight.

But hey why not just keep with the ''they should know better'' attitude. Might finally beat the Brits at something

There's a big difference between a 57stone man claiming he's addicted to food and 23% of the population being obese.
    Obesity may affect us all but the majority of people would have had the cop on to do something about it or to get a second opinion if they're not happy with a doctors recommendations...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Maybe it is some kind of compulsion he has. Perhaps he was bulimic...............he just kept forgetting to vomit, now he can't get out of the bed in time before he digests it all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He's happy to let the NHS take care of him but also wants to blame them for him being extremely overweight? Seems like he wants to have his cake and eat it. Then regurgitate it and eat it again.

I suspect the main brunt of his argument is a failure to realise an addiction/psychological problem in relation to his eating. I mean even after he was bedbound his carers fed him all the crap he wanted, surely if the NHS are providing carers for someone who is that overweight, they would put in place a programme to reduce his weight rather than paying out £2000 a week to further debilitate this person due to the action of their carers?
    If he was an alcoholic he would have been taken seriously. The doctor wouldn't have said "try drinking orange juice instead". I don't see how being addicted to alcohol and being addicted to food are that different; they're both addictions. I don't think he should sue but the doctor he went to should be sacked.

By the way I saw the documentary about him on Channel 4. I think he was 56 stone when they weighed him. I don't know why people insist on saying he was nearly 70 stone. There's a big difference between 56 stone and 70 stone. It's like saying a 14 stone man is nearly 28 stone.

EDIT: Is this the same man that was on the Channel 4 documentary? I see a lot of comments about how his girlfriend kept feeding him but in the documentary I saw he didn't have a girlfriend, just a carer.

It's the same guy, his weight was estimated until they got in all that gear to weigh him! I agree he shouldn't sue, but I think that at an earlier stage, prior to his being bedbound, when he went looking for help the doctor fundamentally ****ed up and contributed to the progression.
    There's a big difference between a 57stone man claiming he's addicted to food and 23% of the population being obese.
    Obesity may affect us all but the majority of people would have had the cop on to do something about it or to get a second opinion if they're not happy with a doctors recommendations...

Ah I don't see the validity of that argument, given that obesity is on the rise for years suggests that people are not doing anything about it, particularly child obesity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

hmmm. I like chocolate. I eat chocolate every day. I would like to eat a lot more chocolate than I do, but I stick to a small amount. because I don't want to be huge. I mean I like chocolate, but I don't feel happier after eating it. I don't feel like eating it will solve anything.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I just really don't see how it could be considered an addiction.

hmmm. I like alcohol. I drink alcohol every day. I would like to drink a lot more alcohol than I do, but I stick to a small amount. because I don't want to be huge. I mean I like alcohol, but I don't feel happier after eating it. I don't feel like drinking it will solve anything.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I just really don't see how it could be considered an addiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Einhard wrote: »
    hmmm. I like alcohol. I drink alcohol every day. I would like to drink a lot more alcohol than I do, but I stick to a small amount. because I don't want to be huge. I mean I like alcohol, but I don't feel happier after eating it. I don't feel like drinking it will solve anything.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I just really don't see how it could be considered an addiction

you do realise that just because you do something clever with a post doesn't mean that you've proven anything, yeah?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

hmmm. I like chocolate. I eat chocolate every day. I would like to eat a lot more chocolate than I do, but I stick to a small amount. because I don't want to be huge. I mean I like chocolate, but I don't feel happier after eating it. I don't feel like eating it will solve anything.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I just really don't see how it could be considered an addiction.

During binges compulsive overeaters might consume anything from 5000 to 15000 kilo calories in a day, which results as an addictive "high" not unlike those experienced through drug usage, and a release from psychological stress. In bulimics, this high may be intensified by the act of purging. Researchers have speculated there is an abnormality of endorphin metabolism in the brain of binge eaters that triggers the addictive process. This is in line with other theories of addiction that attribute it not to avoidance of withdrawal symptoms, but to a primary problem in the reward centers of the brain. For the Compulsive Overeater, the ingestion of trigger foods causes release of the neurotransmitter, serotonin. This could be another sign of neurobiological factors contributing to the addictive process. Abstinence from addictive food and food eating processes causes withdrawal symptoms in those with eating disorders. There may be higher levels of depression and anxiety due to the decreased levels of serotonin in the individual.

There are complexities with the biology of compulsive eating that separate it from a pure substance abuse analogy. Food is a complex mixture of chemicals that can affect the body in multiple ways, which is magnified by stomach-brain communication. In some ways, it may be much more difficult for compulsive overeaters to recover than drug addicts. There is an anecdotal saying among Overeaters Anonymous members that "when you are addicted to drugs you put the tiger in the cage to recover; when you are addicted to food you put the tiger in the cage, but take it out three times a day for a walk."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

fedor.2. wrote: »
    who was eating 20,000 calories a day at his heaviest

people like this make me ****ing sick. nobody forced the food down his fat ****ing face.
    why should the NHS be responsible for him being a fat, lazy slob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

But that's YOUR relationship with chocolate - you have control over it, there are some over whom chocolate has the control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't even know how it's possible to consume 20,000 calories a day, that's a lot of food to go through. It can't be an insatiable hunger, it has to be a mental problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I don't even know how it's possible to consume 20,000 calories a day, that's a lot of food to go through. It can't be an insatiable hunger, it has to be a mental problem.

Its called greed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

20,000 calories of junk.

Excessive sugar and other garbage can lead to diabetes and this can lead to blindness or even amputations. In the vast majority of cases it never gets this far but it can.

This man is damn lucky to be alive after abusing his body for so many years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

As has been said by several other posters: you don't get that heavy unless you have some serious issues driving you to do so. You also don't get past a certain size without help.
    It wasn't a dietician he needed.
    Helping someone like that is like helping a wounded badger, the fcuker will still bite you regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

kowloon wrote: »
    As has been said by several other posters: you don't get that heavy unless you have some serious issues driving you to do so. You also don't get past a certain size without help.
    It wasn't a dietician he needed.
    Helping someone like that is like helping a wounded badger, the fcuker will still bite you regardless.
    Because said badger is obese and will om nom nom anything it sees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

OisinT wrote: »
    Because said badger is obese and will om nom nom anything it sees?

Stupid fat badger. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

This takes the biscuit....Or did he....

Fecking farce....

Advertisement