Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all computer&printer tecchies!

• 11-01-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Would love a little help here. I need a new computer printer but am lost when it comes to what type I should get. At the minute I have a HP PSC1510. It's grand but it's slow, it fades when printing quickly and the scanner on top doesn't work any more. Also when I use a highlighter on the pages the ink smudges to the point where it can't be read anymore and looks horrendous.

I have started a masters and will be printing tons of stuff out, mostly in B&W but I do need to print in colour occasionally but do not want to print photos on photo paper. WiFi or USB connection to a router would be great. A scanner is desirable.

I have read that laser printers don't have the smudging with highlighters thing, is that true?

I'd really appreciate any help you could give me, I always get confussed when it comes to these kind of things!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

With the volume printing, I'd got for a laser. Have you a budget in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 macmurchu

Not really, I'd pay the cash if I was sure it would do the job. Have you any suggestions or recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i would go with espon as there ink is cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I would agree with the laser printer recommendation as you will save in the long run on toner.

B&W might be better and when you need to use colour use your existing printer.

Brother are usually reliable, as are most HP's but seem to use more toner. Make sure to compare the page yield per toner cartridge as well as cost of cartridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

macmurchu wrote: »
    At the minute I have a HP PSC1510. It's grand but it's slow, it fades when printing quickly and the scanner on top doesn't work any more.
    I have started a masters and will be printing tons of stuff out, mostly in B&W but I do need to print in colour occasionally but do not want to print photos on photo paper. WiFi or USB connection to a router would be great. A scanner is desirable.

I have read that laser printers don't have the smudging with highlighters thing, is that true?
    The speed of any printer will depend a lot on the quality of print you choose. Like, low quality, it will spit them out quicker. The choice between ink and laser is only clear when based on your needs. If you're printing a LOT, and you need it to be good quality and not smudge, then laser is yer man. The laser printer works using static electricity to bind the ink powder to the page, leaving a good finish. Inkjet on the other hand sprays liquid ink on the page, so it's naturally prone to smudging. Laser is more expensive though, but there's a reason you never see ink printers in schools, offices, colleges.. with laser the cost is upfront and the savings over time with use. With ink, there is little cost up front, but huge costs over time. Bear in mind you can always get cheaper generic ink cartridges, or get existing ones refilled.

I'm going to +1 a b&w mfp laser. If you only need colour occasionally, you can always get those printed else where, or keep the HP you have for that. If you find something you like, google it for reviews before handing over cash. This one for example is cheap enough and has some ok reviews.

more examples: http://www.misco.ie/Search/Keyword/printer+laser+mfp?Sort=Popularity

other information: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5899379_cost-vs_-ink-jet-printers.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

+1 what woolymammoth said.

I've bought a few samsung all all in one printers/B&W lasers for people and I didn't have any problems with them. You can pick up a cheap used inkjet for when you need colour. But if you are doing a lot of colour it might be cheaper bringing it to a print shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭colm21

i personally think that canon & kodak are good printer brand i had an epson printer before but it broke after 4 months of me using it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thats a bit of sweeping generalization. I had a Epson that worked for 10yrs no problem, then I sold it and it was still working.

Advertisement