Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for bike build

• 11-01-2011 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Say I'm tired of fixies, I have a bunch of stuff to cobble together (Nitto moustach handlebars, cork grips, bar-end brake levers, Brooks saddle, long-drop brakes, 500c wheels, stylin' front basket and old Carlton frame), and I want a little yoke to beat about town in style but would like a few gears, what are my realistic options?

Find a banjaxed bike with sturmey archer gears? But a new internal gear hub? I suppose, while the bike was designed as a 5-speed, I prefer the idea of an internal setup.

What do ye think?

Maybe it's biting off more than I can chew. I'd just like the bike to look 'classic' and not have the whole rear derailleur thing goin' on.

Otherwise it's back to finding a way to get my 1980s carbon fibre look frame converted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Bizarrely, this is roughly what I've had in mind for the last two years (but was away and couldn't make it). Different colours, though.

JohnByus_4-2.jpg

Perhaps I'll keep it 'pure',

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

What size are your wheels? 500c? I imagine it would be very hard to find a strumey archer hub on a wheel that size. Hmmmm, how do you feel about learning to rebuild a wheel while your at it? Rothar offer four hour courses for 40euro! If so then buy one of the many strumey archer hubs on ebay, lace it to your current rims, hook it up to some sexy old school downtube shifters (never seen this done, but i'm sure it's possible) and Boom! Other wise you'll probably just have to source an internally geared wheelset in a more convenient size , there's a couple on ebay.co.uk at the moment although you might have to ask if they'll post to Ireland. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭techieelectric

I've got a sturmey hub I could be parted from if you're looking for one actually, I'm not doing anything with it at the moment, about 10 years old but works perfectly, or it did until the wheel it was attached to was kicked in.

Advertisement