Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginish Island Swim

• 11-01-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done this swim? Its about 6kms and looks like a good event. Given that I swim like a stone it could take me days to finish but I like the look of it - I really enjoyed the Escape From Ireland swim last summer and would like to do a bit more of the longer distance OW swims.

Based on last years bumf there are mandatory distance swims required before you are allowed to enter. Does anyone have an open water swim calandar for 2011 - would like to see if I can reach those targets before July.

On the subject of OW swims would I be treated like a complete outcast if I turned up for an OW event in a wetsuit, or do they allow fat wannabe triathletes like me take part for fun?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

Hi Griffin

I hadnt come across that swim before - it does look good but tough enough i would say.

On the OW swims that the Leinster Open Water committee organise I think the wetsuit position is that you can do them in a westuit but you dont get an official place or time in the league. It varies, there a sometimes a few in wetsuits but often there are none. I suppose it all depends how self conscious you are. For some of the other swims around the country (the Lee swim for example) there are distinct westuit/non wetsuit categories.

You could of course think about doing them without a wetsuit. By June (when the season starts) the water is not that cold (honest) and there is a very wide range of swimming ability. And as for 'fat triathlete' ? Lets just say that insulation is never frowned upon in open water swimming.;)

The Leinster open water callendar does not tend to get published until well into the year although if you have a specific event you are interested in entering you can email them and they might have a provisional idea as to when it is likely to be. Also you have to be a member of swim ireland for insurance which is a bit of a drag.

You could also keep an eye out for the Rush RNLI sponsored swim which is on quite early (April ?) and only the real nutters do without a wetsuit on.

I also expect that there will be more commericial open water events organised this year in keeping with the general surge in triathlon activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

That looks class. Like yourself I enjoyed the escape from ireland swim, and want to stay in my wetsuit.. the idea of swimming round an island has me interested. Not sure on the timing for me... A few weeks earlier im signed up for an IM. I was thinking about hitting up a kayaker for support to do one or two of the swims listed on sebs site http://sebfitness.com/sebfitness/trainingevents.html

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Haven't done this swim myself, but on talking to a few who did, last year's was one of the toughest swims of the year (apart from maybe Cork-Cobh), water was very choppy and sighting was difficult, so you'd want to be confident enough in the open water to do it, which is why you essentially need to pre-qualify for it . If you ask the same question on the swimming forum you might get better info, I think some of them did it.
    I wouldn't be the greatest swimmer myself but have done a few longer OW events and I would recommend trying some of the less difficult longer distance events before trying something like Beginish. For instance there's a nice IM distance swim in Tramore, which would get you onto the Long Swim List or you could do the likes of the Fermoy 6k which last year was a fantastic swim - and because it's a river swim with no chop you just need to worry about the distance so perfect for your first time doing this distance - that was my approach last year anyway, not too sure what events to do this year yet. As was mentioned the Swim Ireland calendar won't be out for a while yet, and as of this year, you do need to be a member to be insured for the events.
    In Munster, there's absolutely no issue with wearing wetsuits, you just get assigned to the wetsuit class for the results. The important thing is to get the swim done! Although after having done a few events last year, I finished the season in togs, being around all those hardcore guys and girls in togs kind of inspires you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thanks for the resposnses. I didn't realise that there was such a big OW swimming scene in Ireland. I'll have a look at the swim ireland calander when it come sout and try and get a few long ones in. Mighn't qualify for this swim this year but there's always next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey griffin...have you signed up for any other events yet?

Are you planning to do the HIM with Tri an Mhi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Hey griffin...have you signed up for any other events yet?

Are you planning to do the HIM with Tri an Mhi?

Hi Izoard. Other than Conn Ultra I haven't signed up for anythink else this year. I'll probably do the Tri an Mhi half if it looks ok and if the new baby situation allows. I have to pick a long race yet but there seems to be plenty of late summer IM's out there so I'm easy - IM Switzerland or Challange Copenhagen are likely candidates. Plan is to try and get Conn Ultra done without aggrevating the foot injury and take it from there. Swimming and running is going ok......my TT bike has cobwebs on it though......and my turbo bike is not far behind.......

Advertisement