Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E4 issue on Sky

• 11-01-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering does anyone else experience problems with E4 i.e. a thin green line will flicker across the screen and the sounds occasionally "pops"? It doesn't happen on any other channel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Have you got a cordless DECT phone in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Hi,

I'm just wondering does anyone else experience problems with E4 i.e. a thin green line will flicker across the screen and the sounds occasionally "pops"? It doesn't happen on any other channel.

Yes and I am on UPC.
    This is the Irish ad feed of the channel.
    It's an E4 problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

I have this problem on the normal E4 channel, however if you have E4 HD that doesn't suffer from the same glitches.

Kensington wrote: »
    Have you got a cordless DECT phone in the house?

This is not the old phone problem it is the Irish feed of the E4 channel it is the same on Sky and UPC.

It is a very annoying fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

have also noticed this

was also happening at my friends house

seems a widespread fault...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I have emailed Channel 4 support about it directly and they are looking into it. I will let you know their response.

Yes I have noticed that it only appears on E4 and not on E4 HD or any other channel and from "googling" it, it appears to be an old problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

yup an old problem, have had the same here for the last number of years. dont watch it much so dosn't affect me much.
    just on E4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Same issue here on a Sky+ box (not HD). More annoying is the brief sound drop outs which happen more frequently.

Managed to get a screen grab on my phone of the green line. I've opened a case with C4 to see what they say and will send it on to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭coupland

I had pixelation on my Channel 4 and related channels and the issue was both the digital cordless phone and the baby monitor

Channel 4 should move their suite of channels to another transponder to avoid this. Leave this transponder for the minority / shopping channels to use!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I opened a thread about this a while ago,nothing to do with cordless phones or baby monitors-it's a problem on CH4's end which they seem to ignore,Tune in the UK versions of the channels and there's no glitch.Only problem is you can't record them.

I was told by them to call Sky to report the issue. If they don't want to listen, then I could not be bothered.

zerks wrote: »
    I opened a thread about this a while ago,nothing to do with cordless phones or baby monitors-it's a problem on CH4's end which they seem to ignore,Tune in the UK versions of the channels and there's no glitch.Only problem is you can't record them.

But according to Lyngsat, all the Irish variants for C4 (C4, E4, More 4) are on Astra 2B (12480V). However, all the UK versions are located elsewhere.

I think Watty published a technical reason for potential interfernce on this transponder before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

JDxtra wrote: »
    But according to Lyngsat, all the Irish variants for C4 (C4, E4, More 4) are on Astra 2B (12480V). However, all the UK versions are located elsewhere.

I think Watty published a technical reason for potential interfernce on this transponder before.

He did afaik,but as I said-no dect phone,baby monitor anything near it,have friends with same problem.

UK variants found on 10.714 H 22.0 5/6 AND 10.725 V 22.0 5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Is it just E4? Not channel 4 or More 4? That would point to a problem related to E4 playout only then, not necessarily transponder interference.

That transponder is subject to interference from DECT as the LNB shifts the modulated transponder frequency down to a lower frequency to pass down the cable:
    12.480GHz - 10.600GHz = 1880MHz (superhet technique in LNB uses one of two oscillators to shift received frequency).

So your sat receiver tunes to 1880MHz to receive that transponder down the cable, which is also the start of the DECT band (1880MHz to 1900MHz).

However, if its just E4, then its probably not interference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Kensington wrote: »
    Is it just E4? Not channel 4 or More 4? That would point to a problem related to E4 playout only then, not necessarily transponder interference.

That transponder is subject to interference from DECT as the LNB shifts the modulated transponder frequency down to a lower frequency to pass down the cable:
    12.480GHz - 10.600GHz = 1880MHz (superhet technique in LNB uses one of two oscillators to shift received frequency).

So your sat receiver tunes to 1880MHz to receive that transponder down the cable, which is also the start of the DECT band (1880MHz to 1900MHz).

However, if its just E4, then its probably not interference.

Ya sound drop-outs for me too just on E4 not on channel 4 or more 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

I've had this problem for ages too. Initally moving the base unit of the DECT phone kind of resolved the issue, in that it only happened rarely.

Had to replace the phone about 6 months or so ago and the problem is back! It only affects the '4' group of channels.

Predominantly E4/+1, but can appear from time to time on all the 4 channels inc. Film 4, which is particularly annoying.

MACHEAD wrote: »
    I've had this problem for ages too. Initally moving the base unit of the DECT phone kind of resolved the issue, in that it only happened rarely.

Had to replace the phone about 6 months or so ago and the problem is back! It only affects the '4' group of channels.

Predominantly E4/+1, but can appear from time to time on all the 4 channels inc. Film 4, which is particularly annoying.

There is a problem with phones causing problems with the Channel 4 transponder.

However there is a separate problem with the Irish E4 that is not caused by phones.

Can anybody confirm if E4 on UPC suffers from the same issue?

JDxtra wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm if E4 on UPC suffers from the same issue?

Yes it does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement