Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuam 8k Road Race

• 11-01-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Any boardsies doing this race this year? Did it last year, was a nice race to start the year. Well organised, with showers and refreshments afterward...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am in two minds - probably not! I legged off on a tempo run this lunchtime to see where I was at and gave up after 1 (7.30) mile :o I couldn't face 4 more of them.

Damn you Choclate Kimberlys and Pudding with Brandy Butter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Not sure I'll make it but I know a good few doing it.

A note from the organiser:

Please advise all members that due to major roadworks in Tuam at this
    time all participants in the Tuam AC 8k Road Race on Sunday 16th Jan
    should allow extra time when travelling to Tuam.
    Registration and Number collection will take place as usual in The Mercy
    Secondary School Gym, Dublin Rd Tuam but please note that Dublin Rd is
    currently closed to traffic and access to the Gym is via Tuam Cathedral.
    Plenty of parking in the Mercy Secondary School and Tuam Cathedral.
    Please copy to all members and club websites and visit www.tuamac.com
    for further details.
    Please pass on our thanks to all your members who have supported our
    race, we will have a record entry this year and we look forward to
    seeing you all in Tuam on Sunday.

Thanks

Brendan Monaghan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

am considering it , not too far for me , bout an hour in the car , if i could discipline myself to take it handy , does anyone know if it takes in any of the 5km route in the galway series ?

Seres wrote: »
    am considering it , not too far for me , bout an hour in the car , if i could discipline myself to take it handy , does anyone know if it takes in any of the 5km route in the galway series ?

AFAIK it overlaps for 500m to a km or so but in the opposite direction. The race is a 2 lap event that starts in and finishes in Tuam town centre. The overlap is on the N17 - along where the 5k went before you turned left at the hotel to head to the finish line. The 8k goes in the opposite direction and you go back to the town by turning left at the "Town & Country" petrol station. Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

ya thanks , no real hills to talk about so

• Advertisement

NO, nothing major. 2 short drags really. One at the petrol station and the other on the street up to the square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I did this a few years back when the parents were living in Tuam. Excellent race and a very friendly bunch who organise it. I would reccommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Was very windy last year for this race. Do you need to register or can you do it on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You could do it on the day last year - I see limited entries are available on the day this year too although you are putting yourself in jeopardy of not being amongst the first 300 who get complimentary socks

http://www.athenryac.com/2011-tuam-ac-8km

• Registered Users Posts: 33 domall

A few of us doing this on Sunday as our 1st event of the year, a nice gentle introduction to 2011!

All the above comments sound good, looking forward to it now, even if the body isn't so sure about it yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

im doing this. dont fancy drivin to waterford from galway to use it as a training run so going back to basics. did this last yr so hopefully knock a few mins off that time. nice run, well organised & a good spread afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

This is a great race - very challenging for all level of runner. If fit I love a 2 lap race because everyone knows exactly what's ahead of them on the second lap and it's all about the race. Also 3 free pairs of socks is brilliant and practical. Cheap and in aid of a great cause - Tuam AC is a really well run club, and they sometimes give to charity from the race too (last year a euro from each entry went to Haiti). Usually some decent runners up the front including Gerry Ryan and possibly Gary Thornton this year. I hope to run it (I'm not fit enough for the novices unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

I`m also doing this - the brack is one my highlights nom nom...Perfect fuel for running home after!:p

UPDATE from Tuam AC

Please notify all club members that online entries will close at 3pm
    sharp on Sat 15th Jan.
    Socks guaranteed for first 300 entries but that number will be reached
    very shortly as we have almost 270 at this time.
    Please visit our website www.tuamac.com for directions etc ( 8k FAQ)

Thanks to you all for supporting our race

Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

pgibbo wrote: »
    UPDATE from Tuam AC

Please notify all club members that online entries will close at 3pm
    sharp on Sat 15th Jan.
    Socks guaranteed for first 300 entries but that number will be reached
    very shortly as we have almost 270 at this time.
    Please visit our website www.tuamac.com for directions etc ( 8k FAQ)

Thanks to you all for supporting our race

Brendan

Cheers for the update Paul - just got my entry in - hopefully in time to get the socks. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 LimerickNomad

Fantastic club event, now in its 6th year.

Record crowds are expected so get there early if you haven't pre-entered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Myself and a few friends have registered for this, it sounds good. First race of 2011, and nothing competitive done since Inis Meain 10k in November, yikes !!.

Still it's a great way to get the exercise routine going for new year. Looking forward to the spread afterwards ...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

knocked 3 mins off last yrs time so a good start to new yr. good day for it (thank god it wasnt on yesterday!) & well done to tuam ac on a well run event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Have to say I found it tough in the wind today and the pace was fairly fast. I'm so used of doing 10ks that I find hard to pace other distances. Delighted with my time though, they've been posted on Tuam AC now ...

Onwards and upwards for the Maree 8k next month !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 domall

Thanks to Tuam AC & all invovled with the organisation & management of yesterday's race. I found it a really good event, nice way to get into it in the New Year. And lovely Bananas & Tangerines afterwards!! Happy with my effort too, 1st time running an organised event under 10km distance, so it went well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

First batch of photos from Tuam 8k. 2011 here: http://eirefoto.com/2011a/11_tuam_home.htm

Well done to all involved. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great race, well organised, and fantastic to see the numbers doubled from last year. The finish is a bit chaotic with traffic and pedestrians, but that's a minor complaint for a race that provides top-class organisation, chip timing, showers, coffee and cake afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Very enjoyable race, nice bit of grub after too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

A set of fine pictures from the race uploaded here:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edenhill77/sets/72157625784706141/

Advertisement