Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New player question about patching

Options
  • 11-01-2011 2:16pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6

hi, i am getting a copy of Wow from a relative soon to give it a try, this is jsut the original wow disc, so i was wondering once i install it and start the launcher to what version will i patch to and how big will that download be , maybe you could check your folder where you patch to and tell me the size it has or something cause my connections pretty **** i wanna know if its gonna take hours or days for me to get into the game once i get it thanks, and btw i dont have any expansions and dont plan on buying them until i hit the level cap as im not 100 percent sure if il be sticking with wow. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

If you just want to try the game your best bet is to go to www.wow-europe.com and get the 10-day trial. As far as I know that streams the content you need, so you won't have to download big patches before you can play.

The original disc will be version 1.0. You'll have to download patch 4.0 to be able to play. I think that's about 1.6GB, but could be wrong. If you know someone who plays you can copy their WoW folder and just create a new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

I think you may have to patch from 1.0 all the way through to 4.0.

My current WOW folder sits over 30Gb.....

Edit: I would also definately suggest getting it fromn the site. I think it downloads about 3 or 4 gigs, then unpacks these, then streams the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

i just installed wow on a fresh machine, total patches downloaded was 12GB.

the orginal wo s compeltly redone so a lot of files are written over,

I would suggest downloading the trial account which does not include outland/northrend any 60+ instances and no cata areas(deep/karzan/twlight/uldum/hyjal)

this will be a lot lower, and you can also play and stream the game after 400mb

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6 KaiKai

alright cool thanks for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

the full client on a full account is 26gb including all areas that is a rather large download did that recently , installing from old disks are a nono just download it faster and less hassle

• Advertisement

hmm it says in the top corner where it starts to patch v 3.0 something and wrath of the lich king photos, i can give the exact version soon i jsut had to install on a external hhd first from my laptop as i broke my dvd drive in my main heh, anyway i was expecting it to say version 1.0 i mean i wasnt connected to the internet so why was it showing wotlk things? guess its not an old old copy of wow hopefully this means less download time .

if it has wrath of the lich king then it is not the roginal and it is the second expansion.

i didnt get any expansion thats for sure, my cousin bought it off ebay for 9 euro new from uk, nothing about expansions in the box or anything it was just after i installed it the log in screen was all wotlk. so after min it said required patch and opened the launcher, did around 100mb dl from 3.3.xx- 4.0.0 it said in the bottom, then the launcher changed to cataclysm logos, now its downloading an 8gb download , so il be leaving it overnight its going terrbly slow atm but might pick up in the a.m., so i guess after this big one i should be done or at least almost done!! it just confused me earlier showing me logos of the expansions but ye.. ))

Ya, i didnt know you bought it recently. WoW wusualy updates their orginal games to the most recent oe(its not like they are still producing dvds of the game for patch 1.0.0) so after that 8g you should be able to play, they have added in a new feature in which you can play while streaming to download So i would presume you are able to play it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

if you buy the disc in the shop it should be a fairly recent version so you dont have to patch for hours and hours!!

either buy it in the shop or get the 10 day trial!! best option!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Buying it in the shop won't stop you having to patch it, especially if it's just the original or first two expansions. There'll still be gig's to download.

Kiith wrote: »
    Buying it in the shop won't stop you having to patch it, especially if it's just the original or first two expansions. There'll still be gig's to download.

No you would still have to patch it. but if i purchase the orginal wow in the shop right now(assuming that the shop i have has the most recent dvd of the game shiped to them) it will have wrath already installed on it. You are only buying TBC and WotlK for the cd-key.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 recording

I want to put Wow on my pc and laptop. Does that mean I have to download all the files twice or is it possible to just copy the wow folder over to the other machine?

recording wrote: »
    I want to put Wow on my pc and laptop. Does that mean I have to download all the files twice or is it possible to just copy the wow folder over to the other machine?

copy and paste the files are fine no need to redownload

Advertisement