Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potholes on Roselawn Road - to be fixed

Options
  • 11-01-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. I notified Fingal CoCo by email of the dangerous state of Roselawn Road (specifically the huge number of large potholes directly outside Tesco's).
    To my surprise, I got an email back within hours saying that "Arrangements are being made to have maintenance repairs carried out as a mater of priority".

I was expected a response 6 months later saying that they would fix it "At some point in the future".

So glad that this is getting fixed. I'm sick of hurting my wrists and struggling to control my motorbike when I hit that section of the road.

So fair play to Fingal CoCo & Tommie in particular. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

So what they do is send someone out with a orange sign stating "-Warning, loose gravel" And they are covered for another 6 months... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The Phoenix Park is cratered like the Somme at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

BostonB wrote: »

Shame it's not managed by Fingal CoCo then!

But you're right...it's another road I avoid due to the poor road conditions.

I don't understand why its always so bad. Theres no heavy (trucks/buses) on its. Yet any resurfacing/repairs they do last no time at all. Its not just from the snow either. It almost always needs repairing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 d49nbrwuac0is8

Saw them out earlier putting tarmac shallows in, basic enough job I suppose, but it did need it, coming past the health centre the middle of the road has a deep trench (at least 3 inches) in it, probably because all the cars have to drive in the middle of the road to avoid the cars inappropriately parked , which is something id like to ask anyone following this thread, if u notice that that stretch of road opposite the health clinic has numerous cars parked blocking half the lane, now obviously its a public road, but I mean these cars arent temporarily parked they are there almost all the time, but Im suggesting that at peak hours would it be an idea to keep the narrower parts of Roselawn road parking free ? I mean if your going to spend 60 odd grand on a nice car, surely its sensible to spend 1500 on widened driveway to house it safely. Any thoughts or am I being a wombat ?

• Advertisement

Guess they didn't think of parking when they put the health center there.

No like when I say all the time, I mean if you drove up there now, those cars would be there, they are residents cars not staff from the clinic

Even during the day?

Yes most of the time, I'l count em next time I go past, its just really dangerous, its an accident waiting to happen. Im on the widest (width) stretch of Roselawn way down the other end so a parked car would still leave ample room in the lane, and "still" everyone has the good sense for safety and security to park their cars in their driveway, its very rare we'd leave em out, mines not expensive (although the parents ones are), but its a busy road and to me its quite ignorant to pretend a public road is a parking space even if its right outside your door , I mean if im in town and I want to park my car, il look around and make sure my vehicle isnt an obtrusion to any other would be drivers, regardless of yellow lines etc. the cars I speak of are exactly that, a hazard ! E.G. i want to run into shop , im not going park my car within 5 metres of a corner or bend , its just plain stupid !

If the cars are there day and night, they must never move them. Seems a bit pointless owning it then.

I don't get how you can pretend something is a parking space. If its not marked, and free of the usual restrictions, distance to corner, lights etc. Then its perfectly legal to use it as a parking space. If the road is too narrow, (I've never thought it was, but I don't use it much) then they should put yellow lines down.

Perhaps they park there because if they don't other people will, and block their driveways or make it really awkward for them. I park on the road a lot were I am, because I find people do that a lot. Even parking outside for weeks at a time. I'm sure thats pretty common if you live within walking distance of a shop, train, bus stop etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I don't understand why its always so bad. Theres no heavy (trucks/buses) on its. Yet any resurfacing/repairs they do last no time at all. Its not just from the snow either. It almost always needs repairing.

Chesterfield Avenue is an absolute disgrace, it's been like that for over a year. That road surface is one of the worst in the city. What a wonderful introduction for those visitors who want to see where our head of state lives.

The Park is run by the OPW who have stated that they don't want through traffic in the park. I'm concerned this is one reason why Chesterfield Avenue is in such a terrible state. Put simply footdragging and not repairing a bad road surface "encourages" traffic to take other routes.

Or when they finally do repairs they take the opportunity to close roads for months at a time. Look at closing Castleknock gate for nearly 3 months last year to put in a roundabout, and they didn't even bother resurfacing the small stretch as far as Castleknock Gate, all at a cost of over €250,000 IIRC. All for one roundabout and about 30 yards of resurfaced road approaching the roundabout.

Of course there is the fact that the OPW could just be a bloated, incompetent organisation which couldn't run a p*ss up in a brewery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I don't understand why its always so bad. Theres no heavy (trucks/buses) on its.
    there is, from town up to the phoenix roundabout - the sightseeing tour buses.
    i was once told by an engineer that the damage done to the road surface is proportional to the third power of the weight per axle - so a bus weighing four times as much as a car will do 64 times as much damage. which seems to fit with my impression that the road near the chesterfield gate is relatively flat, with the top inch or so having come off, but between the roundabout and the zoo, the road has subsided a lot in places, especially where the buses pull in in front of the aras.

on the subject of the OPW, i was once told by an employee that every so often, they'd be asked to clean the weeds out of the river beside the boat clubs, and used to borrow some kit off (i think) the army or civil defence. new rules mean they have to put the job out to tender, so the cost of providing that service has gone up sharply.

Those tour buses are negligible IMO. Theres so few of them compared to a road with a regular bus route, or trucks on it. Even if theres a patch outside the arras it doesn't explain why the other patches which are far worse. Which suggests to me that the bit outside the arras is just another random patch rather than due specific traffic.

Its a badly/cheaply made road/surface. They repair it badly/cheaply. Thats what I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

all that ever happens when they resurface that road is a skim; i suspect it was never graded for the traffic which uses it now, and thus one reason they don't do it is because it'd probably have to be lifted in its entirety and a complete new road bed laid - and then people would be complaining about the gridlock in the park and they'd get flak for that.

They don't seem have any regret in closing it. They closed roads during the snow most recently, and often close them for periods far in excess than required for minor work. IMO.

That Park has been used for motor traffic for quite a while. You'd think the OPW would have used to the idea by now.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=7596
    http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=22203

the re-surfacing of the Phoenix Park is currently being tendered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 WTSIB

If they are going to resurface the Phoenix Park they will need a hell of a large number of lorry loads of tarmacadam-- I suggest they resurface the roads only. Otherwise the tree huggers will be up in arms.

The worlds a comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Roselawn road is finally being resurfaced. I guess those emails to Fingal Road Department actually worked (If so...then my thanks to Tommie McManus)

Advertisement