Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eating out Trim

• 11-01-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know any nice restraunts around trim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

Franzini O'Briens beside the castle is nice.

The italian La Scala isn't bad but can be hit or miss with some people.

The restaurant in the Trim Castle Hotel is nice too.

They have recently changed the restaurant that is part of Brogans to a steak house. Not sure what is is like but I'm sure it's worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Jules in Trim Castle Hotel (referred to above) is probably my personal favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I second Franzini O'Briens!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

I think Franzini's is nice but a little over-rated, Brogans serve excellant food both in the restaurant or in the bar, The Castle Arch serves 'a good feed' lovely food and plenty of it....Knightsbrook a complete disaster food wise best avoided.
    Chinese wise - Wau's is the best in my opinion, Khan Spices on Emmett St is a fabulous Indian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Another positive for Brogans, the bar food is great and you could feed a horse with the portions. Chicken wings are not the best, but other than that, everything I've ever had there is lovely.
    Havent eaten in the restuarant in Brogans in quite a while, but last time I did, it was really really good.

Chinese wise, I would say that while Sentosa (or Busaba as I still call it) has nice albeit expensive food for takeaway, if you eat in there, its grossly overpriced and very small portions for what you pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭bumpydog

Having tried Brogans several times over the past few years, our recent instances have been disappointing. Once, recently, I ordered potato skins as a starter and they served up potato wedges!! The batter on fish and onions is normally soggy.

Overall, disappointing.

Franzini O'Briens is fairly good, but on the expensive side. Trim Castle Hotel is nice, but they need to vary their bar menu. La Scala is OK.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eating out is a rare treat for me these days but I've been to some of the places above in the past year:

- Brogans: was just ok, we had an early bird and I felt it had been lying around a while before being reheated
    - La Scala: good overall, enjoyed a Sunday lunch there and was ok on price.
    - Knightsbrook: had lunch there, thought the food was nice but very pricey
    - Wau Asian: was there last week, food was very good I thought, really enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Wizzbit

I would have to second Wau Asian above the Sally Rogers pub. The food was lovely and reasonably priced. I have tried Khan Spices on takeout only and the food is great..and again not expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i heard that franzinis are doing a €20 for 3 course meal deal at the minute. anyone else hear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

i heard that franzinis are doing a €20 for 3 course meal deal at the minute. anyone else hear?

I was there a few weeks ago. I think we paid €25 for 3 courses but there was an option of €20 for 2 courses.Supplements apply to steak, duck etc but there's a very good choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭bumpydog

Was in there earlier this week and didn't see any mention of that deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Khan Spices on Emmet St is fantastic. Great food and nice service.

Wau Asian and Franzini's are bland in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I know this is about Trim, but I was in the Newgrange in Navan at the weekend- starters, main course, desert, tea/coffee, glass of wine/soft drink for €18. Had meatballs for starters, 8oz steak for mains. Food was lovely. Think they serve this between 5-7pm.
    I hear a lot of people saying Trim Castle hotel's restaurant is excellent. I recommend Franzinis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

bumpydog wrote: »
    Having tried Brogans several times over the past few years, our recent instances have been disappointing. Once, recently, I ordered potato skins as a starter and they served up potato wedges!! The batter on fish and onions is normally soggy.

First of all welcome to Trim.

I would have to disagree with bumpydog saying that the batter on the onions were normally soggy. A group of us ate there just before Christmas and we all enjoyed the meal very much and all really liked the onions.

Great steak there, one of the best I have had.

Franzinis is very good - however it was always pretty expensive. I havent eaten the early bird so cant comment on that.

Trim Castle is the best carvery imo. Castle Arch has gone a little downhill.

I agree with the others - Khan Spices on Emmet st is very good. Staff are very attentive.

Knightsbrook bar is pretty good. The Sunday Lunch in their restaurant used to be really great but we were there at Christmas and i thought it had gone back a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭santiago

Franzinis chicken wings are to die for!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

Went to Castle Arch this evening and have to say it gone downhill since last time I there, meals out are few and far between these days so was disappointed, there was nothing wrong with meal but was lacking something....:(

hey all, i rang franzinis and they are doing 3 course meal for €25 and a 2 course meal for €20, not bad at all :)

3 course=starter+mains+tea/coffee or start/main/desserts? as 25 euros is not cheap these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

franzini's is ok but limited,wau is good for Chinese but to be honest if you want good food at a decent price look outside of trim,let down on numerous occasions by all of them just wouldn't be bothered spending my hard earned in trim any more on food.

santiago wrote: »
    3 course=starter+mains+tea/coffee or start/main/desserts? as 25 euros is not cheap these days

well they're hardly selling a two course meal as mains and a cuppa, so i'd say one of the courses are dessert.

I think 25 is good, but some people aren't happy unless they're getting paid to eat.

• Advertisement

Lots of restaurants in Temple Bar are advertising tea/coffe as the 3rd course .Thats why I asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭upinthesky

khan spices is lovely if you like indian food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

santiago wrote: »

Was there a few weeks ago. It's starter, main, dessert

Advertisement