Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MP3 Player - Your Recommendations

• 11-01-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am thinking of buying myself an MP3 player but as there is so much choice out there I am looking for suggestions, recommendations and warnings. I was going to stay away from iPods as I feel I can get the same quality sound and storage for cheaper (unless someone tells me different)

My criteria are

1. Sound Quality (I like all types of music but Rock/Metal would be my favourite)
    2. Minimum 4gigs unless it has expandable memory like SD cards.
    3. Must be chargeable from power sockets as well as USB
    4. About €100-120.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sansa Clip+ or Fuze
    Sony's Range
    Archos' smaller dap's

All above are available in brick and mortar shops, but you'll more than likely find them cheaper online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Mactard wrote: »
    Sansa Clip+ or Fuze

Would be my vote.
    Rockboxable and expandable with MicroSD cards.
    And under your price range for the 8gb models.

yep sansa clip + is very good if you don't need a screen for photos / videos. only downside is average battery life of 12 to 14 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm using a Clip+, great player. Rockbox is a must, and improves the battery life over the standard. The player is small enough that carrying an external battery pack isn't much of a hassle, and will boost the battery greatly, if you don't want to charge every few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭markst33

Thanks folks, I ordered the sansa 8gig from Pixmania. €53 delivered.

By the way what is Rockbox ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

markst33 wrote: »

By the way what is Rockbox ?

It's a homebrew firmware that replaces the standard sandisk firmware

What makes it better ?

What makes it better ?

As TPD mentioned it improves battery life, as well as that it adds hundreds of other features (the vast majority of which an average user won't need), vastly superior playlisting options, the ability to save/load custom settings configurations [awesome option if you use different headphones].

Check out the rockbox website to learn more as I'm just gonna tell you about why I use it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

What makes it better ?

Main differences I make use of are the longer battery life, gapless playback, proper EQ settings, better filetype support and it removes the 4 or 8 thousand song limit of the Sansa firmware. I think the sansa original firmware still has this limit, haven't checked in a long time.

I got the sansa clip and I am trying to install Rockbox on it. However when I run the RockBox Utility and try to auto detect the player I get a message saying "Unless you changed this installation will fail"

I then click ok and try to browse to the drive letter as stated in the Rockbox installation instructions but Vista is not giving me a drive letter (Mountpoint)

How do I get around this ?

• Advertisement

Your Clip needs to be in MSC mode, I'm gathering yours is set to autodetect?

Head into your regular clip menus (on the clip itself), dive into settings and find the option for "usb mode", there you'll see auto detect, mtp, and msc..choose MSC.

Then try the RB Utility again.

I have done that now thanks and I have installed the firmware as stated here :

An original firmware (OF) from http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Clip/Sansa-Clip-Firmware-Update-01-02-15/td-p/150227

However I am a bit stumped on these parts :

The bootloader: http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/sandisk-sansa/clipplus/bootloader-clipplus.sansa
    The version of mkamsboot for your operating system from http://download.rockbox.org/bootloader/sandisk-sansa/mkamsboot/

I am worried about damaging my brand new mp3 player as I only got it today :(

If you're using the RB utility you do not need anything from any of the links you've posted, it's entirely automated and essentially you only have to click OK.

Hi Mactard,

thanks for your help and patience. When I try to run the Utility I get the message

"Bootloader installation requires you to provide a firmware file of the original firmware (bin) file. You need to download this file yourself due to legal reasons..........."

So how do I get this and where do I put it when I get it ?

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mactard,

thanks for your help and patience. When I try to run the Utility I get the message

"Bootloader installation requires you to provide a firmware file of the original firmware (bin) file. You need to download this file yourself due to legal reasons..........."

So how do I get this and where do I put it when I get it ?

Cheers,

Mark.

Oh right? sorry I don't remember doing that.

Here's the latest sansa original firmware: linky, download that and inside you'll find the .bin file you need.

When I download the zip file as per the instructions and extract the clppa.bin file and then navigate to it I am getting the messages :

Downloading Bootloader file
    Download finished (cache used)
    [ERR] OF File provided is Clip+v1 version 01.02.15, not for Clipv1
    Could not load
    C:/Users/stewart/Downloads/clppa.bin

Any ideas ?

When I download the zip file as per the instructions and extract the clppa.bin file and then navigate to it I am getting the messages :

Downloading Bootloader file
    Download finished (cache used)
    [ERR] OF File provided is Clip+v1 version 01.02.15, not for Clipv1
    Could not load
    C:/Users/stewart/Downloads/clppa.bin

Any ideas ?

Hmmmm, do you have a clip or a clip+?

Its the Sansa Clip+ 8gig

I'm at a bit of a loss now, it seems like the RB Utility is detecting your Clip+ as the 1st generation Clip.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

An alternative method of installing rockbox is to download these two files:

bootloader
    Latest RB Firmware

All you have to do is unzip both files and place their contents onto your clip+, once that's done eject the clip+ and it should install.

I have downloaded and copied all the files over to the clip at the root directory as in Sansa Clip (F:)

I have ejected the clip but nothing much has happened. It does not appear as if Rockbox has been installed and when I go to look on F: I cannot see any of the music I copied over last night as it does not appear in any of the folders anywhere but it is there n the clip as I can play music on it but I just can't see it anywhere when I try to access it via the PC.

I am starting to get worried now.

Any ideas ?

• Advertisement

I'm as lost as you at this stage, the only thing I can think of now is that your clip+ isn't running FW 01.02.15?

V01.02.15P is the version in the settings now

Well, it should be working, so what's missing?

Firmware 01.02.15 - check
    Corresponding RB bootloader - check
    RB Firmware - check
    MSC mode - check

I'm at a bit of a loss now, it seems like the RB Utility is detecting your Clip+ as the 1st generation Clip.

An alternative method of installing rockbox is to download these two files:

bootloader
    Latest RB Firmware

All you have to do is unzip both files and place their contents onto your clip+, once that's done eject the clip+ and it should install.

When I unzipped these files they both seemed to contain the same thing because I got message saying xxx already exists, do you wwant to over write it when I was unzipping the second one. Is this correct. I ended up with a folder called .rockbox which had a load of other folders and files in it.

This archive should contain 2 files: "bootloader-clipplus.sansa" and "clppa.bin"
    (Neither of which should be on the clip prior to transfer)

This archive should contain the .rockbox folder.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lets start over, reinstall the original Clip+ firmware (01.02.15) just to get things clean. After the clean install make sure the clip is in MSC (as the firmware might set back to the default: auto)

Once this is done copy over "bootloader-clipplus.sansa", "clppa.bin" and the ".rockbox" folder, eject, reboot and Rockbox should install.

I started from scratch and I have it done now........thanks for your help and patience....I hope to God its worth it:D

One other thing, where do I find the USB settings now so as to switch back to Auto Detect as this is the way it was when I copied all my music over

There's no setting like that in Rockbox, it works over MSC only. You can boot back into the regular clip+ firmware by holding the "home" button when turning your clip+ on - to change it back to MTP if you really want to.

Thats cool. You have been really helpful.....thanks a lot....hope I did not make you miss anything interesting on TV :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Great info here people. Have an 8gb Clip+ too (also bought from Pixmania). Cool little player, but the battery lets me down far too often. Will follow the previous posts and change the FW. Thanks, am sure I'll enjoy the changes :)

• Advertisement

Sorted :D Is like a whole new gadget. Thanks again :)

just in relation to the battery life on the clip +, mp3 playing is ok but use of the radio reduces the battery life bigtime - regardless if this is on rockbox or the original firmware. If I can get 14hrs on mp3 playback it's about 7 to 8 for radio use.

What earphones / headphones do you use..?

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    What earphones / headphones do you use..?

Normally Fischer Audio Eterna rev.1.
    Sometimes use speakers (own battery in speakers) for the radio.
    It's more down to the radio vs the speakers / iem's though - I'm pretty sure of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Can you record off the radio with the Sansa Clip?

Where is the best place to buy?

I don't know about recording off the radio. I bought it in pixmania.ie for €57 delivered

• Advertisement

The clip+ can record FM radio

Cork wrote: »
    Can you record off the radio with the Sansa Clip?

Where is the best place to buy?

If you rockbox it you could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Yay! for the volume improvement, following the installation of Rockbox. Now I can hear the music above the sound of passing traffic, while out for a walk :)

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    Yay! for the volume improvement, following the installation of Rockbox. Now I can hear the music above the sound of passing traffic, while out for a walk :)

Did you install it on an ipod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Nah! - a Sansa Clip+

• Advertisement

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    Nah! - a Sansa Clip+

Ah, was thinking that the clip+'s stock output should have been grand, but then remembered that if you select your region as europe a volume cap is enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Sansa seem to be introducing a Sansa Clip Zip 8mb mp3.

The current version is on amazon for abour £33.

Should I wait for the new version?

Would the Silicone Skin Case Cover to reccommended?

I feel no urge to "upgrade" from my clip+ to clip zip (what a stupid name!). Even if you could eventually install rockbox on the zip I'd only see it as a viable replacement when my clip+ eventually dies, and then only if it's as cheap/cheaper than the clip+

Cork wrote: »
    Sansa seem to be introducing a Sansa Clip Zip 8mb mp3.

The current version is on amazon for abour £33.

Should I wait for the new version?

Would the Silicone Skin Case Cover to reccommended?

Won't get too many Mp3's on 8MB!

Joking aside, Tempted to get a clip zip when rockbox runs on it. The colour screen is tempting on something so small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

I think sony is a good choice
    some good chinese band such as: Onda,newman

Ste- wrote: »
    Won't get too many Mp3's on 8MB!

Joking aside, Tempted to get a clip zip when rockbox runs on it. The colour screen is tempting on something so small.

what use would having such a tiny colour screen be :confused:

glasso wrote: »
    what use would having such a tiny colour screen be :confused:

It's better than my current clip screen ;o)
    Will wait and see how rockbox develops for it.

Already having 3 sansa players I'm not sure I could get another one. Well not without sneaking it home without the OH seeing it. Another advantage to it's small size.

It's better than my current clip screen ;o)

only possible use is for album art really. or maybe playing rockbox doom if you want to go blind.

glasso wrote: »
    only possible use is for album art really. or maybe playing rockbox doom if you want to go blind.

Speaking of going blind....

you could watch small mpeg clips on rockbox too. ;)

Should be a while yet to get rockbox no devs as yet have one.
    One was ordered but has yet to get it afaik.

Speaking of going blind....

you could watch small mpeg clips on rockbox too. ;)

Should be a while yet to get rockbox no devs as yet have one.
    One was ordered but has yet to get it afaik.

doubt that the zip will be able to run mpgs.... processor too puny

• Advertisement
Advertisement