Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opticians in Cork City - recommendations please

Options
  • 11-01-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, I am not happy with my current optician so I am on the hunt for a new one and I would like to know if anyone can recommend one to me please? I am looking for an optician who does as good job and has a nice range of frames as well as being value for money. Thanks in a advance, S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

sporina wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I am not happy with my current optician so I am on the hunt for a new one and I would like to know if anyone can recommend one to me please? I am looking for an optician who does as good job and has a nice range of frames as well as being value for money. Thanks in a advance, S
    Don't know who your current opticians is but I've been using Daleys in Oliver Plunkett st for the last 20 yrs or so. Very friendly bunch. Can't fault their service. They have the usual selection of frames. Probably not as cheap as specsavers etc but you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Not quite City Centre, but I use Fiona Leahy in Douglas - find her excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I second Daly's in Oliver Plunkett Street - they really are friendly and very helpful - and do not rip you off - i.e. don't try and sell you a product -(infact they told me my glasses were perfect and didn't need to be updated at the time - they couldn't believe they were in such good condition after 10 years). Now how many would do that? So I would highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Judes wrote: »
    I second Daly's in Oliver Plunkett Street - they really are friendly and very helpful - and do not rip you off - i.e. don't try and sell you a product -(infact they told me my glasses were perfect and didn't need to be updated at the time - they couldn't believe they were in such good condition after 10 years). Now how many would do that? So I would highly recommend them.
    +1 I had the very same dealing with Daly's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

wow three recommendation for Dalys - I will definitely check them out. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

we use this guy...he's fantastic and good value.

http://oconnoropticianscork.goldenpages.ie/

he was in wilton but recently moved down the road to bishopstown. easy to get to by bus or car,

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

We've always gone to Egans for our glasses, have never had a problem with them, they have always been very friendly and welcoming to everyone who goes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

we use this guy...he's fantastic and good value.

http://oconnoropticianscork.goldenpages.ie/

he was in wilton but recently moved down the road to bishopstown. easy to get to by bus or car,

I also go there very good staff , very good service been going there 10 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

i'd definetly recommend o'connors opticians , my whole family have been using them for years, really nice staff and good prices and range

thanks for the replies - i will look into both o connors and dalys. It is good customer service I am looking for - someone who is v accurate as I am not sure about my current prescription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

well put it this way some members of my family thought they would try a certain chain of opticions ....savers and the perscription they got was causing headaches etc, i then made them go to o conners and they were stunned with how bad the perscription form the chain store opticions was out.

Their customer service is excellent i got my contacts there also and they kept bringing me back for short appointments i didnt have to pay for , so they were sure i could take in and out the contacts without issue .they are brill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Specsavers - I've been SO unhappy with the place. i know travel down to Clonikility to get my glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Their customer service is excellent i got my contacts there also and they kept bringing me back for short appointments i didnt have to pay for , so they were sure i could take in and out the contacts without issue .they are brill

their customer services in our experience was also excellent, and i found they really looked after my partner and helped us greatly, i just cannot praise them enough...

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Specsavers - I've been SO unhappy with the place. i know travel down to Clonikility to get my glasses.

A chap recommended SpecSavers in Wilton to me yesterday, but due to the optician being a right hotty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

crowley's on grand parade always served me well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

mawk wrote: »
    crowley's on grand parade

that's where I go too. very helpful people.

god no, a few of my mates have had v bad experiences with them in the past.. they are cheap but in their case they got what they paid for, not a good optical service..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mammybear

Try Douglas Eyecare in the Tesco shopping centre in Douglas, got my glasses there last week and he has a really good sale on

thanks for all the replies but I stuck to my own optician - i was just more concise in my concerns etc - a case of "better the devil you know" etc

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

mawk wrote: »
    crowley's on grand parade always served me well

I went there for years but on my last visit I felt terribly under pressure from the store manageress . I had picked my frames (expensive), I knew the limits of my prescription so went for the second-highest index (highest would be way way way too dear) but still had to listen to blathering about how I should go for the thinnest possible etc. Previous visits it was a case of - this is how much the highest index costs so I doubt you'll be going for it .

The glasses were ok but the fit has never been great. I refrained from getting prescription sunglasses but got them through goggles4u for a fraction of the price.

Last year one lens got scratched and Crowleys sent it back under guarantee for exchange but the process was littered with unreturned calls, passed deadlines etc.

I'm due a test again and seriously tempted by Vision Express in Douglas who gave us great service during a child's eye test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

If you are looking for real quality assessment you could try Eamon Horan. He's an Ophthalmic Surgeon on Douglas Road across from Wine Shop/Chemist. He knows his eyes and isn't selling you anything.
    You can then take your prescription to any of the shops listed.

Only thing is you might come out looking like this :eek: after the drops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

sham2 wrote: »
    Don't know who your current opticians is but I've been using Daleys in Oliver Plunkett st for the last 20 yrs or so. Very friendly bunch. Can't fault their service. They have the usual selection of frames. Probably not as cheap as specsavers etc but you get what you pay for.

Same here, im Daly's Opticians very happy customer. Professional staff and great selection of frames. Highly recommended!
    It is few doors down from €2 shop, should be easy to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Tennis Village 5aside

Orla Burke Opticians in Ballincollig are the best Ive found in Cork 4875000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ger89

I have to endorse the above - had a terrible experience in Wilton. Went back and complained that their prescription wasn't right and they wouldn't budge, so now I'm off as well searching for another optician. What a waste of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

RoverJames wrote: »
    A chap recommended SpecSavers in Wilton to me yesterday, but due to the optician being a right hotty :pac:

My exact reasons for using the city center branch was the hot Northern Irish optician

At least I think she was hot, I could never really see her. (dark room + crap eyesight)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Douglas opticians, been there with them for over 10 years, never a problem and great service for glasses and lens

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AnotherTool

Leonie Lyons on Bridge Street. Fantastic optician. Myself and all my family have been going to her for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 glasses00

Having used many opticians over the years, I would say that there are many good opticians around the city centre. BTW I would avoid Kenneally's Opticians in Skibbereen. Their service is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bananaface

does anyone know anything or have experience of poole opticians in blackpool?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

RoverJames wrote: »

Haha I know the one you mean :p

For what its worth I would recommend that Specsavers anyway, avoid the one in town, run by idiots.

Advertisement