Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good restaurant tonight

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Lads did they change the menu in 8 recently? It's been month since I had been there, I liked most of what I ate but remember a lot of the menu not being 'posh' and under 20 smackers. I passed recently and just glimpsed in - menu looks to be mostly over 20 for stuff. Did it change from more gastro pub to swankier special occ type place?

I still love Ard Bia food too, mainly only go for lunch the odd time these days though :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

inisboffin wrote: »
    Lads did they change the menu in 8 recently? It's been month since I had been there, I liked most of what I ate but remember a lot of the menu not being 'posh' and under 20 smackers. I passed recently and just glimpsed in - menu looks to be mostly over 20 for stuff. Did it change from more gastro pub to swankier special occ type place?

I still love Ard Bia food too, mainly only go for lunch the odd time these days though :)

The menu changes almost daily. I ate there 3times in one month not long ago and the menu was completely different each time.

Just to clear this up, I don't work there, never have, not friends with any of the owners or staff. I'm just someone who loves food, travels around europe for the soul reason of visiting restaurants and IMO Eight is closer than anywhere in Galway I have eaten to a Michelin star, by a long' long way.
    If they don't have a star in the next 2 years, I'll be very surprised.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The menu changes almost daily. I ate there 3times in one month not long ago and the menu was completely different each time.

Just to clear this up, I don't work there, never have, not friends with any of the owners or staff. I'm just someone who loves food, travels around europe for the soul reason of visiting restaurants and IMO Eight is closer than anywhere in Galway I have eaten to a Michelin star, by a long' long way.

No, I realise that the menus change, but did the chef change or the style chang in the last year, from say more gastro pub to something more upscale? I am asking more about cuisine type and pricing than standard. All reports I've ever heard have been great, it just looks more like somewhere you would go for a dressed up dinner than it did when I was last there (which was a good while ago)??

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Eight is fantastic alright but I have to say there's been talk of Oscars here and as a previous fan of the place I ate there recently and thought it was hopeless. Poor Service , Food was fairly bland and presentation was terrible.
    I wonder did they change chef or something.

was there recently, and i thought some of the above, but i could also add in the fact that it was absolutly freezing in there, very uncomfortable meal

inisboffin wrote: »
    No, I realise that the menus change, but did the chef change or the style chang in the last year, from say more gastro pub to something more upscale? I am asking more about cuisine type and pricing than standard. All reports I've ever heard have been great, it just looks more like somewhere you would go for a dressed up dinner than it did when I was last there (which was a good while ago)??

Ah, well there is a new chef there, her name is Jess, she's worked and trained in several michelin starred kitchens. I don't know exactly how long she's been there, but it's been at least a year?

• Advertisement

Ah, well there is a new chef there, her name is Jess, she's worked and trained in several michelin starred kitchens. I don't know exactly how long she's been there, but it's been at least a year?

Didn't think it was a whole year, I've been in for a drink since then, but you never know, the old brain isn't as spritely!
    I'll give it a try soon. It just seemed to have a complete change of look and feel (just from peeping in, and looked nice I must say) since I last ate there.

The chef there when I went used to be the chef somewhere else popular (vague, sorry) and a lot of the 8 'heads' knew him, it was definitely a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Aaahhh..michelin stars:rolleyes:
    Winning a star is the easy part. Maintaining it to michelin standards..now that's a different story. All the bullsh*t that you'd have to put up with. In this economic climate...:confused: they'd be digging they're own grave.

edit: McGrath's Mint comes to mind

mint closed because Dylan McGrath is a tool. You van maintain standards without being stupid about your budget. There are restraunts with stars in europe and asia which have menus starting from 20 per meal (that's 3 courses!). The first star is solely for quality and standards, regardless of style or venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

mint closed because Dylan McGrath is a tool. You van maintain standards without being stupid about your budget. There are restraunts with stars in europe and asia which have menus starting from 20 per meal (that's 3 courses!). The first star is solely for quality and standards, regardless of style or venue.

Right..you're the chef..so you must know.
    You talk about europe..but you do realise that you're in ireland..20quid for a 3course in a michelin starred in ireland? If there is,hands down apologies,dinner is on me for you and your partner.

Right..you're the chef..so you must know.
    You talk about europe..but you do realise that you're in ireland..20quid for a 3course in a michelin starred in ireland? If there is,hands down apologies,dinner is on me for you and your partner.

No, not in Ireland :'(

I think the cheapest meals you can get in a Michelin starred kitchen in Irelland would be the €25 lunch in Thorntons or the €37 lunch menu's in Chapter one and Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud.

There is actually a Michelin Starred Restaurant in Hong Kong where you can have up to 10 dishes for less than €10!

• Advertisement
Advertisement