Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold reading

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

Package wrote: »
    some may ask to elaborate on the answer, such as

why is he telling me about an old green bike which only had one wheel?

thats hardly cold reading now is it
    it is - it is fishing for the next thing to say. the answer to "why is he telling me about an old green bike which only had one wheel?" will tell them what way to go. the right answer would be "you are the medium you tell me"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

WildOscar wrote: »
    it is - it is fishing for the next thing to say. the answer to "why is he telling me about an old green bike which only had one wheel?" will tell them what way to go. the right answer would be "you are the medium you tell me"

well not really,, a medium cannot get everybit of information. contrary to popular belief a medium does not have a clear cut conversation going with the dead like ghost whisperer. some of us get feelings and have to make sense of them, some of us faintly hear things , some of us get a picture in our head and some pick up random pieces of information.

random pieces of information are soely to make the reader believe that the reader is actually gettin his information from the spirit, it is not specifically a message.

after all, how many people actually had an old green bike with only one wheel? info like this is basically saying "if i didnt have your aunt joan here, how would i know about the bike, or about the doll you got off janet next door with one eye missing " . you dont nessacerly have to get all the information on the bike itself,, its merely to prove existance, the personal messages follows

well not really,, a medium cannot get everybit of information. contrary to popular belief a medium does not have a clear cut conversation going with the dead like ghost whisperer. some of us get feelings and have to make sense of them, some of us faintly hear things , some of us get a picture in our head and some pick up random pieces of information.

random pieces of information are soely to make the reader believe that the reader is actually gettin his information from the spirit, it is not specifically a message.

after all, how many people actually had an old green bike with only one wheel? info like this is basically saying "if i didnt have your aunt joan here, how would i know about the bike, or about the doll you got off janet next door with one eye missing " . you dont nessacerly have to get all the information on the bike itself,, its merely to prove existance, the personal messages follows
    so you are one? If you give me a reading i will make a donation of 20 euro to any charity you name if i consider it accurate.and not cold reading. since it is online you will not be able to ask any questions about what means what
    how many people actually had an old green bike with only one wheel?
    probably many and if not exactly that the description is usually s.. t..r.etched until it fits what the person did have
    anyone can give random pieces of info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

probably many and if not exactly that the description is usually s.. t..r.etched until it fits what the person did have

Exactly. Imagine you said "I don't know anything about a green bike", what would the medium say do you suppose? "Oh okay, I guess I just pulled that out of my arse"?

No my guess is that her next sentence would be "okay maybe it wasn't green, but you had a bike right? With one wheel?"
    "No it had two wheels"
    "Exactly -- well the person is telling me to remind you about the bike"
    "Aww..."

Or else if you said "Nah I never had a bike", it'd be followed by "okay maybe it wasn't a bike, but the colour green is coming through quite strongly here", and there could be many hits there, or if they're really clutching they might go "green is representative of jealousy -- would you have been a bit jealous of this person?", and off they go in another direction.

If all else fails, they might just say "Okay well the person is telling me about a green bike with 1 wheel, so be on the lookout for that", and then something that completely missed is transformed into a cryptic message and still counts as a hit. Then they move onto the next thing, and if you haven't accepted that crap about the bike as being accurate, then they will at least have neutralized it, and you'll have forgotten about it because the next message will be slightly more accurate.

They just roll with the punches, and sometimes they get lucky and get a really accurate hit, sometimes they have to force it a bit, sometimes they completely miss and they have to make you think that they didn't, and then sometimes they can't cover up a miss, so they just have to make you forget about it.

so you are one? If you give me a reading i will make a donation of 20 euro to any charity you name

im not good enough to consider myself a reputable psychic, but then again, not many would take you up on your offer of donating IF THEY CAN PROVE THEMSELVE. See, mediums are not here to prove themselve, they are here to pass messages to those who need or want them.
    anyone can give random pieces of info

ok soo, YOU give ME a completely random piece of info which can specifically fit to me ?
    Dave! wrote: »
    Exactly. Imagine you said "I don't know anything about a green bike", what would the medium say do you suppose? "Oh okay, I guess I just pulled that out of my arse"?

fair enough some message that come through can not be immediatly picked up by the person recieving the reading, there is a thing called psychic amnesia, where when ya go home and remember,, OH YEAH, the green bike. or you mention it to someone "here,, the girl mentioned a green bike with one wheel" and ther person you tell could say "yeah your uncle james had a green bike with one wheel.

so tell me,, have either of you ever got a personal reading? were you recommended to that person?

• Advertisement

People always ask this for some reason...

No I've never gotten a personal reading. I don't think it's necessary to have gotten one to be able to say that the idea of mediums is completely implausible on many levels, there's no evidence that they can do what they claim, and there's a known technique for achieving the same results without needing to invoke the supernatural.

No I've never gotten a personal reading. I don't think it's necessary to have gotten one to be able to say that the idea of mediums is completely implausible on many levels, there's no evidence that they can do what they claim, and there's a known technique for achieving the same results without needing to invoke the supernatural.

the known tecnique being cold reading? nah i dont think so,, cold reading is a skeptics excuse for being afraid to let go of their prejudice and maybe be afraid that if they did go to a medium , they may have to say they were wrong.

so tell me dave,,, have you ever seen, say, Tony Stockwell or Tj Higgs or Colin Fry or John Edward on TV or anything? surely you dont think they are all cold reading? surely if you watch any of them and the personal info they give reading after reading is "just lucky hits" ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dave, Heard a medium begin a reading with the statement (to 13 people) that he had a grandma who used to swim in competition, and one person understood that. Now, I think thats a damn impressive thing to try as a 'guess'. Coulda been luck, sure, but if he wanted to do a safe bet cold reading he sure was making it tricky for himself. And I do think it is very unfair to make all the judgements you do without having even seen a demo. Which is usually free in spiritualist centres.

No I've never gotten a personal reading. I don't think it's necessary to have gotten one to be able to say that the idea of mediums is completely implausible on many levels

well, the reason peope always ask IS, i used to have a friend who used to think rollercoasters were ****, yet he had never been on one.

so do you believe in ANYTHING that has never been proven?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

A good cold reader will give an individual somethings they want to hear.
    To an audience - he will give them everything.

Once the mob is convinced.... profit/prophet!

I'm sorry if it hurts but it's fact.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Oryx wrote: »
    Dave, Heard a medium begin a reading with the statement (to 13 people) that he had a grandma who used to swim in competition, and one person understood that. Now, I think thats a damn impressive thing to try as a 'guess'. Coulda been luck, sure, but if he wanted to do a safe bet cold reading he sure was making it tricky for himself. And I do think it is very unfair to make all the judgements you do without having even seen a demo. Which is usually free in spiritualist centres.

"Dave, Heard a medium begin a reading with the statement (to 13 people) that he had a grandma who used to swim in competition, and one person understood that."
    ????????? Shocking!

All starter packs are free. The scientologists have made an art out of it.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

the known tecnique being cold reading? nah i dont think so,, cold reading is a skeptics excuse for being afraid to let go of their prejudice and maybe be afraid that if they did go to a medium , they may have to say they were wrong.

so tell me dave,,, have you ever seen, say, Tony Stockwell or Tj Higgs or Colin Fry or John Edward on TV or anything? surely you dont think they are all cold reading? surely if you watch any of them and the personal info they give reading after reading is "just lucky hits" ?

Ahh come on, it's one thing believing the mediums who sit there face-to-face and trick you with cold reading, but you're not skeptical about TV mediums who have the benefit of being able to edit what makes it onto the finished show?

I suggest you have a read of this to get a bit of insight into how those shows work.
    Michael O'Neill, a New York City marketing manager, had no preconceived notions about Edward but experienced what he is convinced was a "hot reading"--a variation on the cold reading in which the medium takes advantage of information surreptitiously gathered in advance. Given an extra ticket by family members hoping to hear from his deceased grandfather, O'Neill attended a performance and was singled out by Edward, who received what he claimed were communications sent directly from the dead grandfather.

While many of those messages seemed to O'Neill to be clearly off base, Edward made a few correct "hits," mystifying everyone by dropping family names and facts he could not possibly have known.

It was not until weeks after the performance, when O'Neill saw the show on TV, that he began to suspect chicanery. Clips of him nodding yes had been spliced into the videotape after statements with which he remembers disagreeing. In addition, says O'Neill, most of Edward's "misses," both on him and other audience members, had been edited out of the final tape.

Now suspicious, O'Neill recalled that while the audience was waiting to be seated, Edward's aides were scurrying about, striking up conversations and getting people to fill out cards with their name, family tree and other facts. Once inside the auditorium, where each family was directed to preassigned seats, more than an hour passed before show time while "technical difficulties" backstage were corrected.

And what did most of the audience--drawn by the prospect of communicating with their departed relatives--talk about during the delays? Those departed relatives, of course. These conversations, O'Neill suspects, may have been picked up by the microphones strategically placed around the auditorium and then passed on to the medium. (A spokesperson for Crossing Over would say only that Edward does not respond to criticism.)

Another article here, should give you an appreciation of the kind of editing they do.

This is what aired on the show:
    Van Praagh: You were saved by someone. A car thing, or something where you were . . .

Woman: We actually had a car accident four months after my husband died. And we were in a very bad collision.

Van Praagh: You almost died, honey. Because I'm being told by your husband that you were saved, Ok?

And here's what actually happened:
    Van Praagh: You almost died, honey. Because I'm being told by your husband that you were spared, you were saved, Ok? You were saved, all right? And I know (3). . . something about Jesus here, Ok? Saved with Jesus, or something about Jesus, and if you believe in Jesus, or a religious element. And I don't know, maybe a church with the name Jesus in it? Or there is something about Jesus. Or there’s . . .

Woman (interrupting): Well, we're Jewish! (Big laugh from the audience.)

You'd probably also have been impressed by Uri Gellar, whose career was (albeit only temporarily, such is the audacity of these people :rolleyes: ) destroyed when he was exposed by James Randi and others:

Did he say grandmother, or did he say relative? Do you remember? It certainly broadens the field if it was the latter, but if it were the former then it's a pretty specific claim alright, which leads me to think that he picked it up by other means. For example (as is common for mediums to do), he might have been listening in while people were chatting amongst themselves before the show started. What are the chances that people would be chatting about the deceased relative that they're hoping to contact, at a group reading with other people looking to do the same thing?

I've seen plenty of videos of psychic readings, I don't need to attend one myself to get an idea of what's at play.
    well, the reason peope always ask IS, i used to have a friend who used to think rollercoasters were ****, yet he had never been on one.

so do you believe in ANYTHING that has never been proven?

Not quite the same thing with rollercoasters, of course that's a silly thing to say since it's a subjective opinion, so you have to actually experience it to form one. Mediums being real is an objective claim about the universe, and there are plenty of reasons to doubt them without ever sitting down with one.

Ahh come on, it's one thing believing the mediums who sit there face-to-face and trick you with cold reading, but you're not skeptical about TV mediums who have the benefit of being able to edit what makes it onto the finished show?

and yet you dont believe these because you think that they are edited? where is the proof to say they are edited, go to a medium and make YOUR OWN mind up.

This is what aired on the show:

And here's what actually happened:

yes of course EVERYBODY believes what skeptics say about mediums, same way everybody believes what believers say about mediums?

You'd probably also have been impressed by Uri Gellar,.

nope,, URI gellar claimed to have parapsycholical powers that aliens gave him, he is hardly to be put in the same mindset as john Edward

I've seen plenty of videos of psychic readings, I don't need to attend one myself to get an idea of what's at play.

i think to make an actual REAL/NON REAL statement yes i think you do need to go and see one for yourself, skeptics will be skeptics till the death unless experienced in the first. there is always the doubt on TV shows, yeah they were planted, there were hidden mikes.. ect

my own father was one, he never believed. he always said it was "S.HIT" untill he went to see one one day and i quote " I went in thinking he will never know anything, and i said to myself, i will say the wrong names and dates in my head so he cannot mind read", my father is now a believe after ONE reading.

i urge you,, go get a reading, not off Joey at number 26, if you want a GOOD ,, no,, GREAT reading,,just ask and you wont be steered wrong. nobody will judge you if you have to say you were wrong

and yet you dont believe these because you think that they are edited? where is the proof to say they are edited, go to a medium and make YOUR OWN mind up.

yes of course EVERYBODY believes what skeptics say about mediums, same way everybody believes what believers say about mediums?

It's a TV show and it's not broadcast live or in one continuous shot, that's my proof that it's edited.

The person being quoted in the TIME (a mainstream publication, hardly what you'd consider hardcore skeptical literature) article is not a skeptic, they attended the event to communicate with a deceased relative.
    nope,, URI gellar claimed to have parapsycholical powers that aliens gave him, he is hardly to be put in the same mindset as john Edward

Yeah cos that story is outlandish, but plain old communicating with the dead? That's totally plausible!
    i think to make an actual REAL/NON REAL statement yes i think you do need to go and see one for yourself, skeptics will be skeptics till the death unless experienced in the first. there is always the doubt on TV shows, yeah they were planted, there were hidden mikes.. ect

my own father was one, he never believed. he always said it was "S.HIT" untill he went to see one one day and i quote " I went in thinking he will never know anything, and i said to myself, i will say the wrong names and dates in my head so he cannot mind read", my father is now a believe after ONE reading.

"I will say the wrong names and dates in my head so he cannot mind read"

Yeah he sounds like a real skeptic, taking steps to avoid having his mind read! :eek:

I'll bet if your father was armed with an understanding of cold reading techniques then he would have found his reading a bit less compelling.
    i urge you,, go get a reading, not off Joey at number 26, if you want a GOOD ,, no,, GREAT reading,,just ask and you wont be steered wrong. nobody will judge you if you have to say you were wrong

And if it turns out to be a bad reading, then I'm sure you'd be saying that it was a bad fit, sometimes a medium and a sitter don't click, or maybe they just had a bad day, or maybe my skepticism was blocking the reading right? Cos the spirits don't just not show up, but rather actively give false or inaccurate information to the medium if the sitter is a skeptic. That's how spirits roll.

Dave, he said grandma. Not relative, Im very sure. Im also sure he wasnt hot reading. If you want full details I would be happy to share by pm. Contrary to what some posters here think, I dont fall for any old bs, this incident was one of the ones that struck me as convincing.

"Dave, Heard a medium begin a reading with the statement (to 13 people) that he had a grandma who used to swim in competition, and one person understood that."
    ????????? Shocking!

All starter packs are free. The scientologists have made an art out of it.
    Your hostility is clear but unwarranted. When you decide to actually listen instead of just looking for your next smart comment you night actually contribute something.

It's a TV show and it's not broadcast live or in one continuous shot, that's my proof that it's edited.

ok, im sure you know i meant cleverly edited to make it look like a medium was getting things RIGHT instead of WRONG
    Yeah cos that story is outlandish, but plain old communicating with the dead? That's totally plausible!

i never said it was outlandinsh, i have no idea if there are such things as aliens (although if you read some previously unreleaased and protected literature on the american government and UFO you may consider it a good read), and i have no idea if they can dish out powers of ESP but what i said was that Uri Geller is not the same as John edward although they are both connected to the world of parapsychology, the same way Steve Davis is not the same as Eric Cantona although they are both sportsmen.

Yeah he sounds like a real skeptic, taking steps to avoid having his mind read! :eek:

since when is mind reading the same as being a medium?
    And if it turns out to be a bad reading, then I'm sure you'd be saying that it was a bad fit, sometimes a medium and a sitter don't click, or maybe they just had a bad day, or maybe my skepticism was blocking the reading right? Cos the spirits don't just not show up, but rather actively give false or inaccurate information to the medium if the sitter is a skeptic. That's how spirits roll.

if i thought that you werent such a relentless skeptic and would actually admit you were wrong if you had a good reading i would almost pay for a reading for you . actually.

heres one, anyone reading this if you would like to sponser a reading for dave, we get as many people as wants to partake and split the cost between us.. you in dave?

Dave, he said grandma. Not relative, Im very sure. Im also sure he wasnt hot reading. If you want full details I would be happy to share by pm. Contrary to what some posters here think, I dont fall for any old bs, this incident was one of the ones that struck me as convincing.

Then ockam's razor would suggest that it was a lucky guess right? Did he give any more specific information? Did the grandmother swim in school? University? The Olympics?

Also, have you verified that the person in the group wasn't at one of his shows before?

You can safely rule out foul-play, like say, a plant being in the group chatting to people before the show, and then sending a simple text to the medium saying "grandmother was competetive swimmer", and then once he gets a hit with that cold reading can take over?

There are many ways that they could have gotten the information, without even having to invoke the possibility that they just got a lucky guess (I'm sure they had plenty of misses during the show, but you don't remember or care about them)
    ok, im sure you know i meant cleverly edited to make it look like a medium was getting things RIGHT instead of WRONG

I already posted an article, and you don't value it because it's skeptical.

If your phenomenon doesn't stand up to skeptical scrutiny, then there's probably nothing of interest going on.
    i never said it was outlandinsh, i have no idea if there are such things as aliens (although if you read some previously unreleaased and protected literature on the american government and UFO you may consider it a good read), and i have no idea if they can dish out powers of ESP but what i said was that Uri Geller is not the same as John edward although they are both connected to the world of parapsychology, the same way Steve Davis is not the same as Eric Cantona although they are both sportsmen.

Doesn't matter, one's as believable as the other.
    since when is mind reading the same as being a medium?

The point is that mind reading is another unproven phenomenon, so if your dad believes that's possible then he's hardly a skeptic, and it's not much of a leap to believe mediums are honest.
    if i thought that you werent such a relentless skeptic and would actually admit you were wrong if you had a good reading i would almost pay for a reading for you . actually.

heres one, anyone reading this if you would like to sponser a reading for dave, we get as many people as wants to partake and split the cost between us.. you in dave?

No thanks, as I said before I don't think it's necessary to sit down with one to think that they're spoofers. I'm sure I'll go to one some day for a laugh or out of curiosity, but I won't require any help from you, thanks.

No thanks, as I said before I don't think it's necessary to sit down with one to think that they're spoofers. I'm sure I'll go to one some day for a laugh or out of curiosity, but I won't require any help from you, thanks.

typical "IM RIGHT AND YOUR WRoNG" attitude.

if i firmly didnt believe in something and someone said here, lets do something different and maybe it will dispell that believe,, id say,, hell yeah lets do it.

but of coarse if your not even willing to give it a ago then i suppose this converstaion is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

I'd even go as far as to say it's a completely pointless exercise.

The reason there are people telling us to go visit a medium is down to the fact that THEY were convinced of this 'phenomena' by visiting a medium.

I've seen many magic tricks performed by magicians that left me baffled, I didn't make the giant leap to assume a supernatural explanation. So why would it be any different with a medium?

Best case scenario, I leave the medium baffled about how they managed to do whatever they did. It wouldn't qualify as evidence of anything. The difference between a skeptic and a believer is down to the fact that a skeptic knows that.

The only tests that matter are those conducted in proper scientific conditions. To date not a single psychic or medium has passed such a test (with the exception of those later proven to be flawed).

• Advertisement

serious amount of stupid things to say there pal.

there is barely an exercise out there that is completely pointless
    I've seen many magic tricks performed by magicians that left me baffled, I didn't make the giant leap to assume a supernatural explanation. So why would it be any different with a medium?.

where do ya start on this one.. hiding a ****in ace up yer sleeve cannot be put in the same vain.

The difference between a skeptic and a believer is down to the fact that a skeptic knows that.

idiotic thing to say. a believer knows he is a believer and a skeptic knows he is a skeptic. just because something has not been proven to exist doesnt mean it has been proven NOT to exist

The only tests that matter are those conducted in proper scientific conditions. To date not a single psychic or medium has passed such a test (with the exception of those later proven to be flawed).

i wouldnt say that. obviosly if you dont know what your talking about you shouldnt make such claims. do some research on Remote Viewing , read about Putoff and Targ's experiments with Joseph MacMonacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bipedalhumanoid

serious amount of stupid things to say there pal.

It's funny how people with no real argument revert to appeal to ridicule fallacy and nit picking. I'll take that as an invitation to reciprocate in kind.
    there is barely an exercise out there that is completely pointless
    Well there's a self refuting argument if I ever saw one!
    I've seen many magic tricks performed by magicians that left me baffled, I didn't make the giant leap to assume a supernatural explanation. So why would it be any different with a medium?.
    where do ya start on this one.. hiding a ****in ace up yer sleeve cannot be put in the same vain.
    Well, you could start by actually forming a logical argument. Maybe one that demonstrates how one magic trick is not in the same vain as the other rather than just claiming so.
    The difference between a skeptic and a believer is down to the fact that a skeptic knows that.
    idiotic thing to say. a believer knows he is a believer and a skeptic knows he is a skeptic. just because something has not been proven to exist doesnt mean it has been proven NOT to exist
    I suppose it would seem that way to those with poor reading comprehension skills.
    Put the sentence back in context and try again.
    i wouldnt say that. obviosly if you dont know what your talking about you shouldnt make such claims. do some research on Remote Viewing , read about Putoff and Targ's experiments with Joseph MacMonacle.
    LMAO. Presumably you mean Joe McMoneagle, formerly of the 'Stanford Research Institute"... which of course had no connection at all with Stanford University other than its location.
    I am familiar with these experiments, and also with the way in which they were debunked...
    Subsequently, properly controlled tests were done by several other researchers, eliminating several sources of cuing and extraneous evidence that had been present in the tests. These new tests produced negative results. The data of Puthoff and Targ were reexamined by the other researchers, and it was found that their students were able to solve the locations without use of any psychic powers, using only the clues that had inadvertently been included in the Puthoff and Targ transcripts.
    http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/remote%20viewing.html

im not good enough to consider myself a reputable psychic, but then again, not many would take you up on your offer of donating IF THEY CAN PROVE THEMSELVE. See, mediums are not here to prove themselve, they are here to pass messages to those who need or want them.

ok soo, YOU give ME a completely random piece of info which can specifically fit to me ?

fair enough some message that come through can not be immediatly picked up by the person recieving the reading, there is a thing called psychic amnesia, where when ya go home and remember,, OH YEAH, the green bike. or you mention it to someone "here,, the girl mentioned a green bike with one wheel" and ther person you tell could say "yeah your uncle james had a green bike with one wheel.

so tell me,, have either of you ever got a personal reading? were you recommended to that person?
    you have a scar or old injury to your left knee. If not you then someone very close to you

It's funny how people with no real argument revert to appeal to ridicule fallacy and nit picking. I'll take that as an invitation to reciprocate in kind.

Well there's a self refuting argument if I ever saw one!

Well, you could start by actually forming a logical argument. Maybe one that demonstrates how one magic trick is not in the same vain as the other rather than just claiming so.

I suppose it would seem that way to those with poor reading comprehension skills.

LMAO. Presumably you mean Joe McMoneagle, formerly of the 'Stanford Research Institute"... which of course had no connection at all with Stanford University other than its location.
    I am familiar with these experiments, and also with the way in which they were debunked...

http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/remote%20viewing.html

i would not pay much attention randi in fairness. see randi prize
    where you can get a free copy of the book and see how Randi comments on things he is not even allowed into i would question randi and seek another source for any claims he makes

where is there a spiritualist centre and are readings free?

where is there a spiritualist centre and are readings free?
    The sanctuary in dublin have services where demos take place. They send a collection plate around but as in churches you dont have to give anything.

The sanctuary in dublin have services where demos take place. They send a collection plate around but as in churches you dont have to give anything.
    is that sanctuary.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

And yet your previous definition was far narrower than mine.

That's called an argument from ignorance. Try thinking about that for a few more seconds.

You suggested that if I personally can't come up with an alternative explanation for something, an alternative explanation to that presented must not exist?
    How about the option of there being an explanation and me not knowing what that explanation is? Or even there being an alternative explanation and NOBODY knowing what that is?

For someone so very opinionated in the topic of skepticism, you seem to know very little about it. You can start by googling 'burden of proof'. Then explain to me why it's up to me or anyone else to disprove the claims of others.

If you have good reason to claim the existence of anything relating to the supernatural, you should be able present your evidence... might be a tad more productive than your current hissy fit over topics.

Its really lovely that when the going gets tough, the tough start to talk down to people. I believe you should google 'hissy fit', as it is yourself who seems to be having one.
    How about the option of there being an explanation and me not knowing what that explanation is? Or even there being an alternative explanation and NOBODY knowing what that is?

Point out where I said that wouldnt be an option? Its an obvious option, rather than the cynical "it cant happen" bs.
    You suggested that if I personally can't come up with an alternative explanation for something, an alternative explanation to that presented must not exist?

what? I suggested that JUST BECAUSE YOU CANT then it DOESNT MEAN THERE ISNT another explanation. Please, learn to read ffs.
    You can start by googling 'burden of proof'. Then explain to me why it's up to me or anyone else to disprove the claims of others.

If you are a cynic, then theres no need. If you are a sceptic then you might want to actually find out for yourself.

if you dont think the points that i have already made is a REAL arguement the what else can i do.

i would have thought that was painfully obvious?

magic trick --> a magician asks someone to pick a card, the person picks the card, looks at it, careful not to show the magician. he then puts it back in the deck and shuffles. at this stage, the magician picks a balloon from a nearby bunch and pops it,, out falls a card, which is the same as what the person had chosen.

medium reading --> a sitter says helo and sits down. the medium begins by passing messages from loved ones who have passed on. some hits, some misses, the sitter either believes or he doesnt.

simple isnt it. now why dont you explain the differences between football and ice hockey for me. :D

debunked? by james randi? oh well debunked by the biggest skeptic inn the world,, must be true. has it been debunked by anyone else rather than someone who would not admit to parapsychological happenings even if his own dead grandmother told him to do so.
    you have a scar or old injury to your left knee. If not you then someone very close to you

no, i dont im afraid, and i cant think off hand of anyone who has. but the difference is, a good medium would say

"i have someone here connected to your father, who has a scar on his left knee"

slightly different, in the sense of, f the person giving the message. ie. the dead person, they would know that the scar would mean something to you and that would be your way to recognise them. also, there would be a message attached to that, eg, the person with the scar tells me that you have been to see his grave 3 times in the past week.

maybe some fake card readers or fotune tellers would say things like that, but not a medium.

i think thats pretty well put, and absolutly nothing wrong with it. put it this way.

if i had a basin of water with a stone in the bottom of it. yet nobody had ever got to the bottom of the basin to find the stone.

the stone has not been proven to exist, neither has it been proven not to exist. it is only when you drain the water and find no stone, it has been proven NOT to exist. alternativly if somebody goes to the bottom of the basin and finds the stone, then it has been proven to exist.

until then, everyone should be in the "maybe the stone exists" catagorie, do you not think? instead of saying, i have seen no stone, therefore it is stupid to think there is a stone at the bottom of the basin.

the santuary is near Adamstown/badonnell area and has mediums doing demonstrations on sunday nights from 6:30 - 8 ish. some medums are good, some not so good. you dont have to pay anything at all. you may get a message, you may not, but i wouldnt bring a skeptic friend to the service to try prove anything.

• Advertisement

no, i dont im afraid, and i cant think off hand of anyone who has. but the difference is, a good medium would say

"i have someone here connected to your father, who has a scar on his left knee"

There is essentially no diference

The 'good medium' would be maing a guess with an even better chance of success as he would be casting net wider. i will say to you though that just like the green bike with one wheel, if you look far enough and/or speak to enough people you will hear of someone who has a scar on the left knee and that will make the guess a hit..ah must have been his/her knee he was talking about. It is just selecting the info from the future till it meets your beliefs

Advertisement