Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold reading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    Package says "good mediums will refund your money if your not happy with the reading. "

Maybe Package believes the same regarding Revenue, NCT and any engagement with a prostitute (of either gender).

Mods - I did warn you all. My point is apt. Please bear with me.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

Maybe Package believes the same regarding Revenue, NCT and any engagement with a prostitute (of either gender).

Mods - I did warn you all. My point is apt. Please bear with me.

your point is apt? i cant see how that is relevant AT ALL?

Package wrote: »
    your point is apt? i cant see how that is relevant AT ALL?

Ah yeah. Why can't you see how apt it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

im not tryin to convince you , im merely pointeing out the massive differences between these two and Silvia Brown.

but tell me this, if YOU were going to a mediums show, would you tell people about everything in your past and all relations, dead relatives ect??

not a chance.

Yes I probably would if, like you, I were a true believer, because, like you, I wouldn't suspect that they were gathering the information for the medium! Or, maybe the researcher told them that they'd be likely to be called on if they chatted with them, so they went along with it in the hope of contacting their relative. You probably wouldn't even suspect anything until afterwards, anyway.

Even if, after the communication was over, the people believed that they had been conned, realised the medium is a fraud, etc., what difference would it make? It's, what, 10 people who are aware of it? Looks like there's thousands at the shows, and all they'd be thinking about is "wow, he's so accurate!" Even when the few disappointed people do go public, it doesn't make a difference, as is evident in this thread.

Anyway, as I mentioned, they don't even have to have researchers go around and ask questions, they can just have them hang around while the crowd is waiting for the show to start (sometimes for an hour or two), and listen. Or just pick up conversation through the mics. Easy.

Ah yeah. Why can't you see how apt it is?

well im obviously stupid, explain it to me.
    Dave! wrote: »
    Yes I probably would if, like you, I were a true believer, because, like you, I wouldn't suspect that they were gathering the information for the medium! Or, maybe the researcher told them that they'd be likely to be called on if they chatted with them, so they went along with it in the hope of contacting their relative. You probably wouldn't even suspect anything until afterwards, anyway.

Even if, after the communication was over, the people believed that they had been conned, realised the medium is a fraud, etc., what difference would it make? It's, what, 10 people who are aware of it? Looks like there's thousands at the shows, and all they'd be thinking about is "wow, he's so accurate!" Even when the few disappointed people do go public, it doesn't make a difference, as is evident in this thread.

Anyway, as I mentioned, they don't even have to have researchers go around and ask questions, they can just have them hang around while the crowd is waiting for the show to start (sometimes for an hour or two), and listen. Or just pick up conversation through the mics. Easy.

yeah of coarse, youve gone to so many of them, you dont need to speculate foul play,, sure ya know it all dont ya?

• Advertisement

Yeah I know it all

</thread>

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Package Im butting in now as I really dont want this to descend into name calling. People are allowed to challenge what you say here, thats all that is happening.

Oryx wrote: »
    Package Im butting in now as I really dont want this to descend into name calling. People are allowed to challenge what you say here, thats all that is happening.

ok, sure im out so folks,, as i feel none of you are putting up any valad points and you think that i am not putting up valad points then we may agree to disagree.

thanks for the debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

ok, sure im out so folks,, as i feel none of you are putting up any valad points and you think that i am not putting up valad points then we may agree to disagree.

thanks for the debate
    are you running away cos you cannot name call? did you find the medium who i can refuse to pay if i am not happy,one of the the good mediums you mentioned?

Minny, I mentioned a whole organisation of them.

• Advertisement

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    are you running away cos you cannot name call?

what are you, 15?

having researchers and staff mingle with people who come to a show is standard practice. And people do talk of who they hope will come through just asthey talk about the match/concert if they go to a a match concert

Oryx wrote: »
    The policy of the SNU,
    Isn't that UK? Do they have members in Ireland.? i am looking for a medium who will refund if i do not consider the reading real or think it is just cold reading or generalised

The Irish organisation is the SUI. I would suggest that you get in touch with them and ask about policy. It should be similar to the UK group. I wouldnt have a clue how individuals deal with this, youd have to ask them. Paranormal.ie has a list of contact names of mediums and readers.

pm sent to minnyminor.. Dave, if your interested in getting a reading, that mught just change your mind.

give me a shout

just wanted to ask do any of you guys believe in the likes of

God
    heaven
    hell
    afterlife
    ghosts
    aliens
    telepathy
    precognition
    the moon landing

and generaly other things that dont actually have any scientific proof.

also,, if you dont believe in telepathy. what is your view on telepathy in animals?

The moon landings? lol... Yes, I believe we landed on the moon. There's plenty of evidence for that, and only silly, debunked arguments against it.

No I don't believe in any of the other sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The moon landings? lol... Yes, I believe we landed on the moon. There's plenty of evidence for that, and only silly, debunked arguments against it.

Well, aliens probably exist somewhere, not the type are visiting us in shiny saucers mind.

well i wont get into an argument on the moon landings either, just gettin a gauge..

so about my previous question. you willing to spend the 50e on a reading? or if we get ya a freebie you willing to take it?

well i wont get into an argument on the moon landings either, just gettin a gauge..

so about my previous question. you willing to spend the 50e on a reading? or if we get ya a freebie you willing to take it?
    No thanks, as I said before I'll have a reading whenever I fancy it.

• Advertisement

ok so. im just saying that maybe this could help this thread and give some kind of proof.

let the record show that i offer proof and you deny?

You offered proof? you mean you offered to pay for me to sit with a medium, which will reveal nothing that i didn't already know.

preconseptions will be th death of us my friend.

maybe, just maybe,, youll go for a reading and come out a believer..

wouldnt that be so hard for you.. is that why most skeptics refuse quite blank to go for readings?

i dont believe in a god that the catholic religion protrays, but that doesnt mean i wouldnt go to church for half an hour if a a priest told me that proof may be offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

What I want to know is, if I go to Package for a reading, will you do the usual "I have someone here with a name beginning with the letter "P", and then we try to work out together who it might be, or do you say "I have someone here who says his name is peter and he was your father's eldest brother"?

I've never understood why, when many psychics go to the bother of contacting someone on the other side, they can't be bothered to ask them their full name, and seem content with being told "my name beings with the letter "p""?

In life I've never met anyone for the first time who says "My name begins with the letter "P"" and everyone I've ever met says "My name is Peter" or whatevre their name is. What is it about the other side which makes people all say "my name begins with the letter"P"", rather than actually saying what their name is?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

preconseptions will be th death of us my friend.

maybe, just maybe,, youll go for a reading and come out a believer..

wouldnt that be so hard for you.. is that why most skeptics refuse quite blank to go for readings?

i dont believe in a god that the catholic religion protrays, but that doesnt mean i wouldnt go to church for half an hour if a a priest told me that proof may be offered.
    Maybe it's because we have a problem with handing over our hard-earned cash for something that we're 99.9999999999999% sure is bunkum.

Now, if you want to give me a free reading that I can record and share with people I'm game.

Me too!

If cold reading works how come the police never use it to solve a case :P

;) brilliant! Truly brilliant! Comedy like this is rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

If cold reading works how come the police never use it to solve a case :P

how do you know? maybe its their secretest secret weapon, and they solve many cases with Sylvia Browne and her kind. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

edwinkane wrote: »
    how do you know? maybe its their secretest secret weapon, and they solve many cases with Sylvia Browne and her kind. :o
    No, they don't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_detective

AFAIK there has never been a case which was solved with the help of a psychic. Considering that the best they can do seems to be "the spirit's name begins with an E, or a G, or a P, could be Z..." then I can't see them being much use to an investigation.

What they do do is prey on vulnerable families who will grasp at any straw in the hope of finding their missing loved one. They also waste police time because the police have to investigate every tip off that they get; so that psychic's claim that someone whose name is Joe, or Jim, or John, could be Jane, Jan, Joan or Josephine is buried 'near water' has to be investigated even though the cops know that it's most likely BS, and that if it isn't BS chances are that the 'psychic' is actually the murderer.

Advertisement