Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold reading

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

kylith wrote: »
    No, they don't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_detective

AFAIK there has never been a case which was solved with the help of a psychic. Considering that the best they can do seems to be "the spirit's name begins with an E, or a G, or a P, could be Z..." then I can't see them being much use to an investigation.

What they do do is prey on vulnerable families who will grasp at any straw in the hope of finding their missing loved one. They also waste police time because the police have to investigate every tip off that they get; so that psychic's claim that someone whose name is Joe, or Jim, or John, could be Jane, Jan, Joan or Josephine is buried 'near water' has to be investigated even though the cops know that it's most likely BS, and that if it isn't BS chances are that the 'psychic' is actually the murderer.

Indeed. As with so much psycho-babble, the subject has to "believe " it. If it were true and could be demonstrated, there would be no need for belief.

As mentioned before I know aspirin works because we all know that it works and there is no need to believe it works. there is also a lot of trials which have been replicated over and over which shows that it works in 99% of the times it is tried.

I "believe" homoeopathy works because there is no convincing proof that it works. If we had convincing demonstrable proof, then we would know that it works.

No, they don't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_detective

AFAIK there has never been a case which was solved with the help of a psychic. Considering that the best they can do seems to be "the spirit's name begins with an E, or a G, or a P, could be Z..." then I can't see them being much use to an investigation.

If psychics can do what they say they can do , they still could not solve a case.
    But i do know 2 cases were psychics gave information to the police and the case was solved soon after .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If psychics can do what they say they can do , they still could not solve a case.
    But i do know 2 cases were psychics gave information to the police and the case was solved soon after .
    So? I drank a cup of tea and shortly afterward I found my keys. Correlation is not causation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 MrJonDonnis

So? I drank a cup of tea and shortly afterward I found my keys. Correlation is not causation.

Whoah there johnny! For all you know those psychics that gave info to the police were in fact just confessing to the crimes!!

Therefore the psychic did indeed help the police!

Suck on that you skeptic!

Whoah there johnny! For all you know those psychics that gave info to the police were in fact just confessing to the crimes!!

Therefore the psychic did indeed help the police!

Suck on that you skeptic!
    Darn it, I never thought of that!

Suck on what? I'm very partial to peppermints, if you're offering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 MrJonDonnis

Darn it, I never thought of that!

Suck on what? I'm very partial to peppermints, if you're offering.

Just be glad I didn't deliberately misspell Skeptic as Septic! And then think i was really clever for doing so

So? I drank a cup of tea and shortly afterward I found my keys.

Can you back this statement up ? Can you present me with evidence that this happend :rolleyes:

Can you back this statement up ? Can you present me with evidence that this happend :rolleyes:

More questions and still no argument...this time your question is asinine as the op's question was to illustrate a point.

I have as much evidence as any medium. You should be more open minded :)

I have as much evidence as any medium. You should be more open minded :)

It could be argued you have more evidence than most mediums :)

• Advertisement

edwinkane wrote: »
    It could be argued you have more evidence than most mediums :)
    That's true. I can, at least, produce my keys.

That's true. I can, at least, produce my keys.

I can see your keys now...one of your keys opens something beginning with "C"....

I can see your keys now...one of your keys opens something beginning with "C"....

Wow! you're right; it's for the Cash Register in work!

(I know that you were angling for 'car', but I don't have one so I thought hard and realised that 'cash register' fit the bill too)

More questions and still no argument...this time your question is asinine as the op's question was to illustrate a point.

I am not here to argue , and there is nothing wrong with asking questions,Its better then going along with everybody else.

ahem you know who you are :D

I am not here to argue , and there is nothing wrong with asking questions,Its better then going along with everybody else.

ahem you know who you are :D

Its not a question that each of us has only two options, to either argue or ask questions. There is nothing wrong with many things, even asking asinine questions is not "wrong". It's not a question of right or wrong. This is a discussion board, and the clue is in the name.

Its not a question that each of us has only two options, to either argue or ask questions. There is nothing wrong with many things, even asking asinine questions is not "wrong". It's not a question of right or wrong. This is a discussion board, and the clue is in the name.

and .............

To go back on topic, I often wonder if there might be a market to teach cold reading techniques to people in sales. While it's usually vague and non specific, to learn to be able to read the object of a salesmans patter might improve the chances of making a sale.

To go back on topic, I often wonder if there might be a market to teach cold reading techniques to people in sales. While it's usually vague and non specific, to learn to be able to read the object of a salesmans patter might improve the chances of making a sale.

How about investigating cold reading first , learn the ins and outs of it . Whats the success rate , are some cold readers better then others. Does cold reading work with people who dont have english as a first language. Does it work with people with speech impediments. What if you have a strong accent and people cant relate to what you are saying . What is the furthest distance you can cold read from. If you are visually impaired can you cold read, if you are hearing impaired, can you cold read.
    The list goes on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

They already do. Watch one of those Watchdog style shows and you will see all sort of manipulation techniques going on with sales people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Wicknight wrote: »
    They already do. Watch one of those Watchdog style shows and you will see all sort of manipulation techniques going on with sales people.

I have no idea what a watchdog type of show is and presume you are referring to a tv show. Unfortunately, we got rid of our tv years ago and the only drawback to not having a tv is that I sometimes don't get references to shows on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

Wow! you're right; it's for the Cash Register in work!

(I know that you were angling for 'car', but I don't have one so I thought hard and realised that 'cash register' fit the bill too)
    i think it refers to your future car

Advertisement