Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Anyone Who Wants House in Donegal

Options
  • 11-01-2011 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi everyone. Just wanted to ask in the hope that does anyone on here know of anyone interested in buying a lovely house in Donegal. I just got told yesterday that after a process of 2 years we have at last being assigned a case officer and will be granted the Visa for permanent Residency in Australia. We are selling our lovely home and obviously a quick sale would be great. Just wondered if anyone here knew of anyone looking to buy here??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Bid €100 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well, congratulations.

Check Daft.ie out. If you say you're looking for a "quick sales", you'll get a few low bids, but it's really depends on how much you'll let it go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Yesterday there was someone on Boards looking for a house in Sligo. It may be that your location is south Donegal so might interest them.

Unfortunately I do not have the knowhow to find the thread in question being a greenhorn in Boards but you or someone you know might be able to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mongarra wrote: »
    Yesterday there was someone on Boards looking for a house in Sligo. It may be that your location is south Donegal so might interest them.

Unfortunately I do not have the knowhow to find the thread in question being a greenhorn in Boards but you or someone you know might be able to do so.
    That'd be this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056140508

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I am.
    A price, a location and some pictures would assist...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 baz6679

Sorry the following is a link to the house http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=472939

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Bit of advice:

Remove the "VENDOR WILL PAY YOUR MORTGAGE FOR ONE YEAR" gimmick and just reduce the price...

Good luck with the sale, and good luck in Australia!

Bit of advice:

Remove the "VENDOR WILL PAY YOUR MORTGAGE FOR ONE YEAR" gimmick and just reduce the price...

Good luck with the sale, and good luck in Australia!

Hi. Yeah I forgot to mention that this does not apply now. Just trying to sell it myself and asking people to come and view and i will negotiate on price. Thanks alot for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Good luck in Oz. I have heard of one other house selling in Donegal for 120k. Thats the reality of the market as the banks are not lending + there are so few buyers, especially for houses not close to a main urban centre. Some properties are on the market 4 years without selling. Hope you sell + get what you are looking for though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why not rent it out?

• Advertisement

Why not rent it out?

Hi Sorry for delay in reply. Doesnt really suit me to rent it out to be honest. Making a clean break and a fresh start so just want a sale. thanks everyone else for the replies. I have noticed though that there are loads of "Tyre-Kickers" out there who email looking for details and it appears they are not even interested.
    Any other advice out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

baz6679 wrote: »
    Hi Sorry for delay in reply. Doesnt really suit me to rent it out to be honest. Making a clean break and a fresh start so just want a sale. thanks everyone else for the replies. I have noticed though that there are loads of "Tyre-Kickers" out there who email looking for details and it appears they are not even interested.

I do understand how keen you are to get a 'clean break'. I've been there. But if you're desperate to sell, it'll show and all you'll get is the 'tyre-kickers', mickey-takers and the time wasters.

As you know, it's very difficult to get a mortgage, so that's even more time wasted IYKIM. You're away, and the house is just sitting there. I assume there's a mortgage so that will need to be serviced while you're waiting to sell. I really think you're better off playing the 'long game' and renting out the house. If you don't want anything to do with it, then get an agent to run it for you.

If God forbid, things don't work out then you've got somewhere to come back to. If things work out - cool runnings! Hopefully, things might get better in the next couple of years and you can sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Hopefully, things might get better in the next couple of years and you can sell.

Alternatively, things could get worse and you could wish you'd sold now. I'm not saying that I can guarantee what is going to happen, but I feel I should point out the obvious counter argument to ABajaninCork's statement.

Besides, having a property rented out here will not give you some place to come back to, unless you happen to be very lucky in coming back at exactly the time that the tenant's fixed term lease is coming to an end - you cannot evict someone with a fixed term lease even to move in yourself. Even with a part4 tenancy you have to give notice, depending on how long they've been in for, and in my personal experience fixed term rentals are more common than part4, and you'd certainly want the added security (for what it's worth) of a fixed term lease if you're going to be the other side of the planet.

Also, if you can afford to come home to service a mortgage, you can afford to come home to rent. ABajaninCork's arguments do not make sense imo.

Possibly some of the 'tire-kickers' are interested, but not at the price you're asking. Houses do still have a clearing price. If you are so far into negative equity that the price you could sell for will not clear the mortgage, even with any potential savings you have added to it, then you may well be forced to hold onto it and rent it. Personally, I'd try to avoid that - being a long-distance Landlord seems like a huge pain, best avoided if possible.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

baz6679 wrote: »

33% of people from UK who emigrate to Australia return to UK within 5 years , if your getting a really bad price for house you might keep that in mind and just rent and sell when your sure of your life down under .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Advertisement