Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet broadband......

Options
  • 11-01-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

......any opinions about this service?

I use vodafone mobile broadband but its poor to average.

eircom refuse to supply me. they say my line is below standard, even though my next door neighbour is serviced by eircom. vodafone landline tell the same.

Permanet tell me that if I'm in view of Forth Mountain I'll get a good signal, which I am. About 10 miles away to the SW, near Duncormick. It sounds like a good deal, with phone included. Although the phone service is also via their transmitter, is that reliable?

so any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have Permanet myself for a couple of years now.Never had a problem with it,speed and ping are consistent.Don't have the phone service so can't comment on that.
    Mobile 'broadband' such as 3/Vodafone etc. isn't proper broadband and basic internet access at best.Permanet is fixed wireless and is way better,it might cost a bit more than the €19.99 a month you pay for the dongle but as they say you get what you pay for and as such I find it decent value as it always works and that's the important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Have to say, I find Permanet offer a pretty good service. Pretty consistent speed. It goes down for a short while every now and again, but that's gotten very rare and it's never for more than a few minutes. I'd say they're the best option in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 groveman60

When it comes to emailing - sending and receiving - how do those of you on Permanet wireless broadband set up your accounts?.

groveman60 wrote: »
    When it comes to emailing - sending and receiving - how do those of you on Permanet wireless broadband set up your accounts?.

As in Hotmail/Gmail etc? I use both,Permanet can also assign you an email account aswell if you need one as I know some forums etc. will only accept an isp issued email account.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

Who would be the best provider (in terms of reliability) in the Kilmuckridge area (either fixed line or wireless)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Used them for a year or two until Eircom started providing broadband in the area at which point it became better value to get a much faster package from Eircom for slightly more money. However up to then I was very happy with them and would have no hesitation in recommending them. As mentioned above, there were occasional outages but short lived and not too frequent and always dealt with very well, including the replacement of a failed dish for us which took only about 24 hours.

Regarding voip phone service, I had the basic 512/128 MBps package and Blueface and I'd say this is the minimum bandwidth you should have if you're going to use it much for phone. If the computer was generating any sort of traffic on the link, the phone quality would degrade considerably and occasionally drop calls so we seemed to be really on the threshold of our capacity there. Other things such as (lightweight) video conferencing, remote access, etc worked perfectly fine.

Advertisement